Help, replaceing old system

dadarkjedi

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forums and would like to introduce myself, my name is John, and I live in little Rhode Island, I just recently purchased a new home with an existing security system, and no info came with the system, the house is roughly 16 years old and have very little knowledge when it comes to installing security systems so please be gentile.

I have spent a few weeks reading up the ELK M1gold, and it seem to be the most popular and most referred system on alot of forums, I’m more or less looking to it for security amt, but look forward to doing the home automation shortly after I get it up and running. My only concern really is, I have an old Guardaware system, CU-66 board and the original owners never gave any of the info on the system to the owners we purchased the home from, and I managed to reset (after setting the siren off like 10 times lol) my own pass code to use the system, unfortunately, I can only get the system to work in at-home-mode ( no motion sensors ), when I set the system to away-mode, one of the zone lights on the key pad (zone 1) goes off as if a door or window on that zone were open, normally all the lights are on when all doors and windows are secure, but I have confirmed non are open, but when I set the system to at-home-mode, the zone light goes back on, everything works fine but my motion sensors wont work for obvious reasons being in at-home-mode.

I haven’t been able to find a manual for the system anywhere online or from other alarm dealers so I opted to replace the system and chose to go with the ELK M1G. I would like to use all the hardwired sensors that are in place as far as the door and window sensors, and will be replacing the motion sensors with new hardwired ones and adding a few more, but my only concerns is I’m trying to figure out what is causing my current system not to work in away-mode and what effect that will have on the Elk system, I’m assuming I will be able to just unhook the old system and replace it with the M1gold and wire everything back in to the new system without toooo much trouble on the panel side of things, but does anyone know of a way I can try to test the zone that’s giving me trouble on the old system now, and maybe solve that issue before I tackle the installation of the M1gold, keep inmind I have no manuals or anything for the old one, so if there is a device someone mite know about that I have to purchase that would help me, I would greatly appericiate it, and Thank you in advance for your help and awsome forum.

I guess there are two possible reasons for the weird issues when trying to arm the old system. 1) There is something wrong with that particular input on the hardware board. If you replace the board with something else, then that problem fixes itself. 2) There is a problem with the wiring or sensor in that zone. Replacing the board won't fix that problem.

I suspect it is probably problem #2 (but that is a complete guess). Have you checked the connections at the board to make sure they are all tight and have good contact? If so, then I'd try to find out which sensor is causing the issue. If the keypad doesn't specifically say, then you might need a helper that goes around and opens the doors and windows one at a time. Each time one is opened, there should be some indication on the keypad. Once you get to a door or window that doesn't give any additional indication, then I suspect that is the zone. Check the sensor and the wire contacts at the sensor.

Hopefully you find the issue doing that. If not, then you might have to run a new wire, or if that isn't possible, use a wireless sensor for that door or window if you can't get it working with the new system either.

thanks you for the quick response, I appreciate your suggestions, the only issue is that the zone in question, zone1, has multiple sensors on it, there is I believe 2 doors, and 3 windows on that one zone, I'm not 100% positive but I know for a fact there are multiple items hooked to it so I don't know how to test each if when i switch the system to away the light goes out for all, I will try to check each individual sensor tho and see if that help, unfortunately I'm at work so I will give it a shot when I get home, Thanks again for your help tho, also does anyone recommend any particular store online to purchase from, I was looking at Smarthome and Homesecuritystore but sense I have never bought from ether, would anyone recommend one with whom you have delt with in the past and received good service. Thank you again

Thanks again for your help tho, also does anyone recommend any particular store online to purchase from, I was looking at Smarthome and Homesecuritystore but sense I have never bought from ether, would anyone recommend one with whom you have delt with in the past and received good service.
Personally I would stick with one of the vendors that have a presence here and are know for their good support. You can even check the CocoonTech 'certified' vendor list. I would look at Automated Outlet, ASI Home, Smarthome USA (not to be confused with Smarthome) or Setnet. There are also a few individuals with a web presence that do a good job too. You can't go wrong with any of those. Smarthome is usually overpriced with underwhelming support (read all the threads about the way they support Insteon) and HomeSecurity Store may be fine but pretty much unknown here. Also keep in mind some items are required to be listed at retail prices but some stuff can be discounted somewhat if you simply call and ask.

I wanted to thank all of you for your help and info with the security system, I figured out my problem all along with my current system, I'm embarrassed to say , there never was an issue, what was happening was, when I would set my system to away, it would enable my motion sensors, and sense there is a sensor near where the keypad is, the system would not arm because it was picking up movement from me, so I stood very still and I noticed the light would come back on, on the keypad for the zone that was giving me the issue.

I was able to arm the system lol and test it and it works great, I still opted to buy the Elk-M1gold anyways, and will receive it by next week and I ordered a few motion sensors to go with it for some spots that need coverage, but Thank you all again for your help and info and will let you know how the installation went. Thanks again, awesome site

I'm surprised you couldn't find the manual for your current system. I found my .pdf manual listed on several websites, 15 years old.

Congrats on figuring it out, though.

I've had a very good experience buying equipment from Brandon and Martin at AutomatedOutlet.com.

Back