Home Network and Multiple Switches

Yup; here I see an occasional stutter at night streaming whatever which sometimes is low on the WAF and can ding a pleasant evening. 

In my computer speak I just blame the beyond and save the stream for another night and I am done with it.  Works here.

jasonreg said:
Thanks again fellas.  @Work2Play - we have pretty decent internet here:

325Mbps Down and 10+Mbps Up
:blink:  :blink:   :pray:  :pray:

That's insane - I had no idea you guys had that kind of bandwidth!

Ouch, only 10mbps up?  At a certain point a lot of download bandwidth becomes useless because of uplink restricting all the handshaking going on.  A 32.5:1 ratio seems way out of whack.

Actually this is something I am working on.  I am supposed to have 25 up but it seems to be a router issue.  I started a new thread for my router specific issue I am now having.

I am wondering who is your service provider and how are you getting your internet connection?

Is it via cable or fiber?

What is in front of the router?

Hi Pete - it is Rogers (Canada) Hi-Speed Cable service.  In front of the router is their Hitron CGN3 modem/router combo placed in Bridge mode.

As an update, the updated firmware did nothing to increase the upload speed.  Reading a bit in the Rogers support forums it may be that the modem was not provisioned correctly (one modem - many tiers of service) so I will give them a shout a bit later on and see if this is the case.

Yup; sounds like that to me. 

The modem typically does a TFTP and get's your assigned speed tier (well it looks like a bit Cisco router configuration text file) along with having the proper firmware to handle your speed tiers.

Not sure if you are able to see the configuration from your side though. 

Sometimes if you look at the modem logging (if available) you can see it get the firmware / configuration name. (firmware should be in some about page on your modem and the name of the configuration file shows up when the modem does the TFTP from Rogers).

The Rogers customer service technical support person should be able to view your configured speed tier as its just a text file (well encrypted) sitting on your Hitron CGN3 box along with firmware version.  If CST has no clue relating to what you are talking about; up it notch to next level of support.

BTW don't utilize your Cisco router to test your speed tiers;  rather just connect a laptop (with a Gb NIC) directly to your Hitron CGN3 box to confirm you Rogers configuration.

Have a look here too relating to your Hitron CGN3.

@pvrfan - Actually - not so bad.  I am actually on a tier below that 250/20 so "only" about $88 after my discount.  No fibre to my house though it is 350 down and 350 up (stated spec).  It just seems that everyone on the 250/20 plan is getting 325/20 .......Some think it is in anticipation of yet to be realised new tier system but we will see.  Enjoying it while it lasts!

@Pete - thanks for the link.  I had not come across that site as yet.  Will be talking to Rogers later on this am.

BTW here has issues with my Motorola Surfboard SB6141 Ethernet interface sticking to a Mb link rather than connecting to a Gb link.

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would re-open this one as they are related. 

I recently suffered a network failure due in part or in whole to my Sonos system. I have 12 Sonos components spread over a fairly large house (over several floors) and as such have elected to hardwire most of them vice rely solely on the SONOS “mesh” wireless network.
It would seem that there is a problem with my router configuration and/or the way I had the Sonos components connected. From the Sonos help page I see this known issue with Cisco RV series Routers:  "Cisco RV Series Wiring more than one Sonos component to the router causes a broadcast storm. Log into the router's administration panel and navigate to L2 Switch > RSTP and check 'Protocol Enable' on all ports”
My issue is that I cannot find this option or where to make these changes when I log into the router.
I also see configuration suggestions for an SG300 series switch and that the 200 series switches have Standard 802.1d STP support and Fast convergence using 802.1w (Rapid Spanning Tree [RSTP]), enabled by default which I think would also resolve the issue.
So, given my current components: 
  1. Router RV320
  2. Switches available (2 x SG-100-24 unmanaged and 1 x SG200-08 managed)
  3. Many Sonos Components most of which wired to where the switches are located but some still using the proprietary Sonos Mesh Network (which cannot be disabled)
I would appreciate suggestions to prevent another broadcast storm (assuming that is what is was).
Or do I need to go shopping for a new layer 3 switch to deal with this?
Many thanks in advance - Jason

There's something about Sonos gear and multicast problems.  Lutron has some issues with it, and I believe Russound also. 

If you have any way to segregate the Sonos gear, and put it behind a switch or a packet filter, you might be able to at least 'contain' the problem.

Noticed many similiar questions over on the Cisco forums related to the Cisco Router RV320 device.

Here while tinkering with a few things have built a PFSense router with multiple interfaces (8 Intel Gb interfaces today).  Using 2 wan interfaces today on it and 6 isolated LAN interfaces going to 2 managed 24 port switches and and a few unmanaged 24 port switches (mixed in with POE). 

You can do all sorts of stuff and testing this way. 

PFSense is free and will run circles around any type of SOHO router combo out there (Including Cisco).

It's not like the Sonos gear needs a tremendous amount of bandwidth.  Yeah, streaming might start consuming more, but not likely to be more than the garden-variety SOHO router could handle.  I've been meaning to take one of my old routers and set it up as a filtering bridge for this sort of stuff.  

Thanks fellas for the info.  I am thinking then that I have two choices with my current gear (and a third if I were to get a new managed larger switch).
  1. Set up VLANS in the RV320 and have all SONOS equipment (include HT equipment etc.) on one VLAN (use it's own SG-100-24 switch), computers etc. on a separate VLAN (and separate switch) and segregate that way (CGN-3 -> RV320-> multiple switches each on a VLAN);
  2. Set up VLANS in my SG200-08 switch for same effect but take the "workload" off of the router (CGN-3 -> RV320 -> SG200-08 -> multiple switches each on a VLAN); or
  3. Buy a fully managed switch and solve the problem that way (most $ but it seems to work well with SONOS).
I am leaning towards option 2 as it allows even more VLANS (Home office as an example) but would appreciate thoughts.  Looks as if I am almost full circle to my original question ......

Back