Home server build

Storage spaces is the drive pooling feature in windows 8 and above. As far as VM's 1 small debian machine for sure and then 2 or 3 windows 7 VMs. The VMs, for now, are really more a learning exercise than anything.

Just wanted to comment and state that I updated my post with the HyperThreading i7 screen shot on the first page of this thread (here).

EDIT: Since I have one a Core2Quad as well, I went ahead and added a screen shot of that too.

Here started the new Homeseer computer build (X2).  Very basic using pico PSUs.  One will be running Ubuntu and the other Windows 8.1.

The computers will only be utilized for Homeseer and nothing else.  Using the automobile style m350 computer case.

i3, 8 Gb of memory and 120mSATA HD.

My initial plan was to run BlueIris an SageTV on VMs on the HT i7 build. However, as I build it out I'm fighting with myself about how I want to go about distributing the video from BI. I need to be able to get camera views on my MBR and Living Room TV's and would prefer if they were the full screen feeds of the cameras; that's a bit harder to do from a VM vs leaving BI on the host OS and using the HDMI out. I'm soon to come to a decision point on it and am leaning toward having BI on the host, but still running STV as a VM (mainly for management reasons) that shouldn't effect BI any. I only use the STV extenders with STV, so only need network connection to access the video there...

Here split the ZM boxes to two right now.  One is still got a 8 port analog capture card and second one is pure IP streaming.  Both are doing 64bit Ubuntu.  XBMC streaming from either box works fine.  Different though than direct HDMI output from BI.

Doing concurrent stuff here to the HAI Omnitouch legacy and new plus my DIY touchscreens and Grandstream stuff and legacy Axis stuff.

I understand your wanting to use BlueIris over ZM,  Personally a ZM VM would run a bit faster than the BI VM (less OS bloating).  That is my personal opinion.  

drvnbysound said:
My initial plan was to run BlueIris an SageTV on VMs on the HT i7 build. However, as I build it out I'm fighting with myself about how I want to go about distributing the video from BI. I need to be able to get camera views on my MBR and Living Room TV's and would prefer if they were the full screen feeds of the cameras; that's a bit harder to do from a VM vs leaving BI on the host OS and using the HDMI out. I'm soon to come to a decision point on it and am leaning toward having BI on the host, but still running STV as a VM (mainly for management reasons) that shouldn't effect BI any. I only use the STV extenders with STV, so only need network connection to access the video there...

I have to rebuild my Blue Iris server and am pondering the same thing. My initial thought is that I put BI on a VM.  I am working along the lines of a 2nd video card with HDMI out that is dedicated to Blue Iris and then feeding that into a Matrix switch. Or maybe an android device hooked up via HDMI running the BI client or IP Cam Viewer which can be controlled via Tasker. If I go the tasker route I should be able to trigger from BI host (event) to the android client to pull up whatever camera I need to.

batwater said:
I have to rebuild my Blue Iris server and am pondering the same thing. My initial thought is that I put BI on a VM.  I am working along the lines of a 2nd video card with HDMI out that is dedicated to Blue Iris and then feeding that into a Matrix switch. Or maybe an android device hooked up via HDMI running the BI client or IP Cam Viewer which can be controlled via Tasker. If I go the tasker route I should be able to trigger from BI host (event) to the android client to pull up whatever camera I need to.

Heh, I didn't even think about that... and I have an extra HDMI capable video card sitting here on the table :)

Just noticed yesterday a "sale" of an AMD Octocore CPU and motherboard (full size) for a tad over $100 USD with a MIR.

I am guessing you are seeing a network hardware error in control panel / devices eh?

I am guessing your started first with the installation of the Intel Chipset drivers.

Its been a couple of years ago that I purchased WHS2011 it to use; finagled with it and had to modify the OS a bit to get my SAPI stuff to work.

Googling I am seeing issues with your motherboard (Asus H97i Plus and NIC drivers in Linux / Windows.)

One forum solution mentions using ASUS Probe II Sense Driver 1.0.1.0 for Windows.

Someone on NewEgg also mentions some issue  about the optical output  / bios / for audio stuff.

Unrelated but here went with the Gigabyte Intel H81 GA-H81N motherboard, Haswell iSeries 3 CPU and replaced the Intel included CPU fan with a 1U low profile (Dynatron T450) on my current builds.  The Intel fan was quiet but it was a bit too tall and I don't really like those plastic clips.  I had to take out the motherboard and install a metal base for the CPU heat sink to be attached.  This is the same brand / style utilized on my BCM motherboards.

The two builds are in tiny cases.  (M350 and Travla C128)

dynatront450.jpg

Here by accident ordered two of the m.2 SSD's thinking that they were just regular mSATA SSD's.  Found mSata to m.2 SSD converter boards on Ebay for $2 each.

Back