Honeywell IAQ Thermostats with Elk M1 Gold

dw886

So I've found a few threads on this topic, but most of them are pretty old. Has anyone made any progress with integrating Honeywell thermostats with an M1 Gold? I'm specifically looking at the Prestige Thermostats. I know that they have Redlink, so you can add their internet gateway, and then control the thermostats via their website remotely, but I'd like to be able to automate a few specific items, like setting back the thermostat when the Alarm is Armed Away, etc.

This thread was around getting the Honeywell VisionPro IAQ to interface with the Elk M1 Gold, but it has gone silent (and is over 2 years old).
http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/15506-will-elk-produce-a-honeywell-iaq-interface/page__st__15

I'm wondering if I can capture the HTTP commands hitting the RedLink gateway, and then reverse engineer them to be able to control the stats over the network connection.

Anyone spent a few nights messing around with Elk and Honeywell IAQ?

(I already have multiple Honeywell Prestige stats, and Redlink, so I'm looking at trying to make this work vs. replacing all of my thermostats, plus I like the fact that the prestige stats show the outside weather temp/humidity on them.)

Thanks!

I haven't seen much success with anyone tapping into the RedLink protocol.
You'd likely have more luck with IAQ over Enviracom with a W8735A RS232 adapter.
There's a number of code snippets (various programming languages) over the web that may help Enviracom integration into Elk.

I have my VisionPro IAQ talking to my ISY via a custom program (w/ a W8735A). Works great. I'm a DSC user, so I went directly into the ISY.

So thinking through this, it sounds like I can control the IAQ thermostats with the Elk by setting up rules that send ASCII commands (Send Text Out Port), using a M1XSP, and the W8735A RS232 adapter, correct?

I can hard-code the rules to set my temperature set-points if my assumptions are correct.
  • Is there any way to send a command to an RS232 port (like "return current setpoint"), and then parse the response on the RS232 port?

To be clear, I'm looking to do this without setting up another PC - I'm assuming that this would/could be easier if I ran something in the middle (like HomeSeer, etc). I'm mostly interested in climate control (setpoints) when disarming/arming the system, and a potential "vacation mode" button. I can always log into the redlink portal that Honeywell provides to check temperatures remotely if I need to.

Thanks for pointing me in the proper direction ioguy!

Yes,
Hard-coded commands could be sent over RS232 for climate setpoints.
Virtually all settings (a couple small exceptions) can be accessed over an Enviracom adapter.

I'm assuming your system uses the Enviracom bus (I think all IAQ do). You could tell this by your thermostat wiring - the thermostat would just be commected with 3 wires, not the standard W/C/R/etc.

I can't help you with parsing, I don't use Elk.
Once connected to the Enviracom bus, all thermostat messages/changes are broadcasted. Any change to a thermostat can be seen on the bus.

Back