Hourly Control of Push Buttons on SA US2-40

slowmo

Is it possible to place hourly controls on the push buttons of a SA US2-40 (rocker+4 push button switch)?

I’m using a SA US2-40 to control low voltage outdoor lights via URF>>transformer. I’m concerned the kids will turn on the lights during the day when you can not tell they are on. My preference is to disable the push button during the day rather than continually checking light status on UpStart.

I’m also using the Elk M1G. I read that the M1XSP link addresses start at 193, but I’m not sure if those links work similar to UpStart links.

Any thoughts are welcomed,
Scott

I dont know the logic capabilities within the M1G but here is one way to conceptually do it. In UpStart, assign a link number to the desired button call it 10 and a different link number to the URF that you are controlling say 20. This way they are disconnected. In UpStart there should be no devices receiving link 10 otherwise they will be triggered each time you hit the button.

Now use the M1G to recognize link 10 and then have it activate link 20 via some rule or trigger. Im sure you can easily add some time parameters to prevent this rule from running at certain times. What you are doing is using the M1G to act as the gatekeeper for determining what to do when you receive a link and not the UPB devices themselves. In this example, you arent turning off the button per se as its always transmitting a 10 activate code its just that the M1 determines when and how to use the 10.

-ACB

Is it possible to place hourly controls on the push buttons of a SA US2-40 (rocker+4 push button switch)?

I’m using a SA US2-40 to control low voltage outdoor lights via URF>>transformer. I’m concerned the kids will turn on the lights during the day when you can not tell they are on. My preference is to disable the push button during the day rather than continually checking light status on UpStart.

I’m also using the Elk M1G. I read that the M1XSP link addresses start at 193, but I’m not sure if those links work similar to UpStart links.

Any thoughts are welcomed,
Scott

I can't speak directly to the elk but i'm pretty sure it will allow you to assign a condition so that if it's say before sundown no amount of pushing that button will turn on the lights. I use a conditional even such as this in HomeSeer to control outdoor lighting.

BSR,
Triggering the light switch I think is possible... I'm new enough to the M1G that I'm more conceptual than practical, although, I'm trying to trigger just one of the buttons on the switch which is only identified by a link in UpStart. Another difficulty, the rocker and "4th" button should work all the time because they control in door lights.

I'm trying to give my kids one switch to control both indoor and outdoor lights.

Again, thanks for the ideas. Eventually I'll make it work through random key hitting.

Scott

[/quote]
I'm trying to give my kids one switch to control both indoor and outdoor lights.

Again, thanks for the ideas. Eventually I'll make it work through random key hitting.

Scott
[/quote]

Scott,

You can probably do what acalbear suggested but have the M1 send 2 links, one for the inside scene you want and one (only at night) that turns on the outside lights. There are ways to do this with UPB hardware without a central controller, but since you have an M1...

Dave

I do something similar to this with my homevisionpro. By our front door we have an all-off button. The kids discovered this button and would press it at really bad times... like when I was straining hot pasta... another time for that story. Anyway what I do now is only allow the all-off button to work when the front door is open (like when you are leaving). They haven't figured it out yet... As mentioned above, I have a link in UPSTART that does not connect to anything. My HVPro detects the link, checks the front door and fires an all-off command if it is opened. Very simple and effective.

Back