How to control Russound CAM6.6 from iPod Touch

Unfortunately, the price is totally wrong Bob. $599??? Really? So you pay $200+ for an iTouch/iPhone and then have to shell out another $599 for a wireless router to control your CAV? For some reason this doesn't sound like a logical investment. Additionally, this prevents any automation controller from controlling the CAV/CAM via RS232. To make matters worse... have you looked at the interface screen shots? Obviously, Russound is not shopping the competition. Definitely disappointed with the approach they are taking with this.

Sorry for the rant. :wacko:

Unfortunately, the price is totally wrong Bob. $599??? Really? So you pay $200+ for an iTouch/iPhone and then have to shell out another $599 for a wireless router to control your CAV? For some reason this doesn't sound like a logical investment. Additionally, this prevents any automation controller from controlling the CAV/CAM via RS232. To make matters worse... have you looked at the interface screen shots? Obviously, Russound is not shopping the competition. Definitely disappointed with the approach they are taking with this.

Sorry for the rant. :unsure:

This is just the Outdrive Systems product rebadged. It was selling for about 200 bucks before Russound bought it. There are some details on my blog here from a while back.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I finally have time for this. There will be something basic in the app store soon, but a better question is what do you want an iPhone solution for whole-house audio to do? Everything is a simple serial protocol so it is not much work to expand.

Is something around the likes of ELK RMS capabilities a good target? What accessories should it support? Does anyone actually use the Russound media servers or iPod bridge? Let me know and I should be able to make it happen. There are lots of possibilities here, I'm just not sure what you use.

I've got some time, so if anyone needs a solution let me know and I'll make it happen. Is Russound enough, or do other platforms like Nuvo need control too?

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I finally have time for this. There will be something basic in the app store soon, but a better question is what do you want an iPhone solution for whole-house audio to do? Everything is a simple serial protocol so it is not much work to expand.

Is something around the likes of ELK RMS capabilities a good target? What accessories should it support? Does anyone actually use the Russound media servers or iPod bridge? Let me know and I should be able to make it happen. There are lots of possibilities here, I'm just not sure what you use.

I've got some time, so if anyone needs a solution let me know and I'll make it happen. Is Russound enough, or do other platforms like Nuvo need control too?

Now that audio control integration has been released by Elk the eKeyPad app will be able to control a Russound, Nuvo, or Proficient solution via an iTouch or iPhone. That of course it of little help if the target user does not have an Elk M1 but if they do it's an easy solution.

Now that audio control integration has been released by Elk the eKeyPad app will be able to control a Russound, Nuvo, or Proficient solution via an iTouch or iPhone. That of course it of little help if the target user does not have an Elk M1 but if they do it's an easy solution.

To be honest, I'm not planning on spending a lot of time on this(hence the free app), but I already have an app, so why not. Unless Elk has written an entire RNET module for it, any access via the M1XEP is going to be limited. It is pretty complex to decode all of the song/artist metadata, keep track of the status of each zone, etc. That is more the domain of Elk RMS.

For now I've submitted a toned-down version of my app to the store for approval, I'll let you know when it is available. I have a lot stuff already coded up and running, I was just wondering what people want in a dedicated version. The first version is just basic, with minimal testing, and hopefully simple enough to work well. If I get some feedback I'll start adding features to it as needed. It is basically a hobby project, but I'm willing to take it as far as there is interest. I'm even open to doing team-development if anyone else is interested in helping out.

To be honest, I'm not planning on spending a lot of time on this(hence the free app), but I already have an app, so why not. Unless Elk has written an entire RNET module for it, any access via the M1XEP is going to be limited. It is pretty complex to decode all of the song/artist metadata, keep track of the status of each zone, etc. That is more the domain of Elk RMS.

For now I've submitted a toned-down version of my app to the store for approval, I'll let you know when it is available. I have a lot stuff already coded up and running, I was just wondering what people want in a dedicated version. The first version is just basic, with minimal testing, and hopefully simple enough to work well. If I get some feedback I'll start adding features to it as needed. It is basically a hobby project, but I'm willing to take it as far as there is interest. I'm even open to doing team-development if anyone else is interested in helping out.

I'd like to have a stand alone iPhone app that would control a CAM6.6 via a serial to TCP server attached to the CAM.

Ok, so I settled on this for the first version. Screenshots attached and a demo video link below. Someday soon it will make it to the app store for all to use ... but only Apple knows when! If anyone has a favorite feature, please let me know.

Demo Video of Audio Control App

iphone1.jpg
iphone2.jpg
iphone4.jpg

Ok, so I settled on this for the first version. Screenshots attached and a demo video link below. Someday soon it will make it to the app store for all to use ... but only Apple knows when! If anyone has a favorite feature, please let me know.

Thank you! I can't wait to give it a spin!

Sorry for being daft, how will this work for users? Will we need to buy some sort of Serial to IP adapter for the russound equipment?

Thanks!

I guess i am a little daft - I just re-read this thread and see that it does need a serial to ethernet adapter to work - are we able to use any serial to ethernet adapter like the cheaper ones from Wiznet?

Back