How to count pulse from water flow or energy meter ?

After checked with few IC manufactures, it seems there is no other IC provided counter feature like WC8 IP1 counter function.  A lot of RTC chips saying including counter, but they all divide input pulse by 8 or more.

At lease WC8 provides one reliable counter to count pulses from 0Hz to 2MHz frequency range.

Here may be a possibility!

With TWO counter inputs, battery backup onboard optional,  no soldering  it should connect directly to your CAI Webcontrol board 1Wire input and do your job. Have a look.

http://www.hobby-boards.com/store/products/Dual-Counter.html

Edit: bold quantity for visual effect.

LarrylLix said:
Here may be a possibility!

With two counter inputs, battery backup onboard optional,  no soldering  it should connect directly to your CAI Webcontrol board 1Wire input and do your job. Have a look.

http://www.hobby-boards.com/store/products/Dual-Counter.html
Yea, that looks like it would work but for the same price I could get a second WebControl

Two WebControl boards, two cases, and two power supplies, double the  power bars and rack space would be considerably more expense unless you are going for quantity discounts. :)

Actually the counting speed can be faster than 2MHz in WC8 hardware counter,  if the pulses are short burst fast pulses.  Since CPU must internally handle that counts, it limited continuously incoming pulses to 2MHz frequency.  Single pulse can be as short as TTL gate can read, it should count correctly.

As to DS2423 chip being used in that mentioned, that is one wire. And it is being phased out by Maxim for last four years, Maxim support engineers told us other I2C version can only counts at 1Hz, or 1/8 HZ frequency.  Anything faster than that may not work.  For low speed pulse counting, that can be useful. I could understand that wrong.  Anyone could actually go to Maxim web site and open a support case to verify that with Maxim support engineers.

Here is a question for everyone, if you have to use accurate counters to count, how many of them do you have to use in one design?  I understand you may want to count many different things.  Just wondering would be one, or two, or three that is enough for your purpose?  We will not be able to make any change to WC8 or WC32 design. But we could make another board to fit your needs.  Also possible, please let us know your pulse frequency range.

Only WC8 has a 2MHz counter.  WC32 has 3 counters, but speed is much slower. In another words, it is interrupt driven counter, good enough to count to 1KHz maybe, but not to 2MHz frequency pulses.

CAI_Support said:
After checked with few IC manufactures, it seems there is no other IC provided counter feature like WC8 IP1 counter function.  A lot of RTC chips saying including counter, but they all divide input pulse by 8 or more.

At lease WC8 provides one reliable counter to count pulses from 0Hz to 2MHz frequency range.

What is the required wiring for being able to use S0 interface from meters with the WC pulse counter ? Is there a sketch hidden somewhere here?

Back