HVAC Thermostat Automation

Bzncrewjr said:
I'm probably fine with going with the OmniStat 2.   It will connect to an Omni panel and seems like a quality stat.

The ecobee3 popped up on my inbox and the interface with Echo seemed intriguing.   And it seems to use some kind of occupancy sensor with remote sensors to "average" room temps to try and equalize temp with a priority on the occupied room as most important.   Interesting idea.

However, if I'm honest, we almost never adjust the thermo temp, so voice activated doesn't really provide real world functionality.  Just cool factor.

Re Ecobee 3, you can buy as many sensors as you want (up to 32).  They communicate wirelessly with the base unit to report occupancy and temperature.  There are a number of options as to how the system uses that information to adjust the temperature.

The other big benefit of Ecobee's tstat's, in my opinion, is the information it provides on the operation of your HVAC equipment.  Every 5 minutes, the Ecobee logs what the system has done in the last 300 seconds: 

set temperature
current indoor temperature
outdoor temperature (from weather service)
heat stage 1 and stage 2 run times
cooling stage 1 and stage 2 run times
fan run time
humidifier set point
current humidity reading
humidifier run time
etc.

The data is accumulated on Ecobee's servers.  You log on with an ID and password and can see near-real-time what your system is doing.  They also have several analytical reports that are updated monthly with month over month and month v. year-ago comparisons.  Also, a bit of information comparing your overall heating/cooling versus 'similar-size' houses in the same area. 

Plus, you can download all of this data for your own analysis.  Energy costs are a big chunk of running a house and the HVAC system accounts for a big portion of that.  Having a detailed understanding has helped a lot in balancing comfort v. cost.  AFAIK, no other 'smart tstat' provides the raw data.

Being that you are in Montana, I'm surprised that you "never adjust the thermo".  Even just a small night time set back will save you money.

Craig

Here I see all of that on the Omnistat2.  PCA only shows basics.  Outdoor temps come from Omni Pro temperature sensors.

Humidity sensor is built in or you can utilize OmniPro humidity senors. 

There is one sensor on the thermostat and you can utilize PIRs/Occupancy sensors with a zoned system if you want.

You can do anything you want with the data.

Here graph it internal to my network.  It would be nice to compare it to other houses in the vicinity. 

Thing is that a thermostat is a thermostat.

The thermostat is only a switch and a mechanism to measure temperatures. 

Your home will not be more energy efficient unless it is built that way.

Object (from an old HVAC friend) is to be able to heat the house with one candle and cool it with one ice cube figuratively writing.

There isn't a thermostat today that will do that for me that I know of.

Pete:

I didn't claim that a smart thermostat would be more energy efficient.  Another way to reduce energy costs is to freeze in the winter and roast in the summer--then you don't even need insulation!  ;)

Just saying that the thing I like about the Ecbee is that it brings together comprehensive (and comprehensible) information about the HVAC system.  That let's me make better choices about comfort v. energy costs.  And If I make major investments (new furnace, doors, windows, insulation upgrade, etc) it makes it easier to see the impact on system operation.

Craig

That let's me make better choices about comfort v. energy costs.

You can do that without a cloud connection or sharing data in your house.

It is just common sense and it is very documented these days. 

Just saying that the thing I like about the Ecbee is that it brings together comprehensive (and comprehensible) information about the HVAC system.

Not at all different that my thermostat today.

And If I make major investments (new furnace, doors, windows, insulation upgrade, etc) it makes it easier to see the impact on system operation.

I do not need a cloud connected thermostat here to invest or tell me to invest in xxx as most as stated above is just common sense stuff. 

Yes I would see the impact of making my home tighter just fine with my current automation, thermostat and watching my energy costs.  I have been doing that for years now.

Have  look at the Venstar T7900. No cloud required and they publish the complete local API for control on your LAN.

I use mine with my ISY994i and NodeLink running on a RPi (free).

Personally I think they are just reinventing the thermostat (started originally with the Nest) with a larger display such that it is a wireless smart automation hub. 

pete_c said:
That let's me make better choices about comfort v. energy costs.

You can do that without a cloud connection or sharing data in your house.

It is just common sense and it is very documented these days. 

Just saying that the thing I like about the Ecbee is that it brings together comprehensive (and comprehensible) information about the HVAC system.

Not at all different that my thermostat today.

And If I make major investments (new furnace, doors, windows, insulation upgrade, etc) it makes it easier to see the impact on system operation.

I do not need a cloud connected thermostat here to invest or tell me to invest in xxx as most as stated above is just common sense stuff. 

Yes I would see the impact of making my home tighter just fine with my current automation, thermostat and watching my energy costs.  I have been doing that for years now.

Pete:

Are you trying to suggest that I lack common sense because I like the Ecobee package of features?  You regularly respond to questions with a description of some feature of your system.  You help people see possibilities.  My aim was to describe something that sets Ecobee apart from other smart thermostats on the market.  IOW, to help the OP see possibilities.  

I'm not trying to convince you to abandon your existing system.  It sounds like you've done a lot of integration work between the components and that you regularly gather and analyze performance data.  Great.  Somebody starting from scratch could do that.  Or they could consider buying an Ecobee and getting it out of the box.

Either way, HVAC is a big cost in my budget.  Regular reporting where I can see that, "Oh, usage really did go down when I did <that thing>".  That is very motivating to try to find additional improvements.  As the Six Sigma people say, if you can't measure it, you can't manage it.

Craig

@Craig,

Not at all.

I was answering the middle of this post request or suggestion based on the acquisition / installation of an OmniPro 2 panel.

I based my original post on the historicals that relate to me owning now the second in a series of thermostats provided by HAI for the OmniPro 2 panel.

It is good that you provided your input relating to the Ecobee thermostat.

I am very process oriented. 

While I have adapted my automation here to my environment seemingly innocuously; I do change it and have changed it (automation and environment). 

That is the way it is for me just like it is for you.

Back