I miss my Elk M1 Gold

whlatimer

We moved to Georgetown Texas in September.  I left my Elk M1 Gold behind.  The Georgetown house, built in 2005, is equipped with a DSC1616 alarm system with one keypad; all the doors and windows appear to be equipped with wired sensors.  Previous owner never used the system.

I'm open to suggestions here.  I don't feel like I need nor do I wish to invest in another M1 Gold, but would like wifi access to whatever panel I install.

I'd like some wireless motion detection, inside and out.  Will definitely need one more keypad for the master; shouldn't be too hard to run the cable for that.

All suggestions welcomed.  Thanks

The agony!!! I have FULL intention to remove and take my M1G with us when we move. We plan to explain that the home is fully wired for an alarm system and that ADT can come in and wire a system for the new owners should they wish to have one. In previous discussions with multiple realtors about the Elk system, in their eyes, it adds zero to the resale value of our home.

DSC does have an array of sensors including wireless ones:
http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=Products&o=main&filter=4,5

Depends on how much you really want to get into it vs. basic security. You could always get an EZ8 and related peripherals to get onto a familiar platform and capability, but typically it starts coming close to a M1G in "expanded" cost.

DEL, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one of the main limitations of the EZ8 (particularly for residential use) is the lack of voice messages. I think it can do pretty much everything else...

EDIT: Key differences here: http://www.elkproducts.com/product_family_overview.html

To me the voice is the biggest thing, which might not even be a big deal to many. Yes, there are less on-board inputs, but that's easily overcome with input expanders, so the capability to add more is there... which is pretty much the same with most everything else.

I've put in plenty of both over the years.....

DSC is and has always been a "cheap" brand panel and devices, bordering on "disposable" as judged by the industry. Their QC was absolutely atrocious in the past and only within the last 10 years or so has that really started coming up. You can't compare an Elk or even a Honeywell panel to DSC. They just haven't moved that far up over the years.

That said, the spreadsheet that Elk provides sums up the key differences between an EZ8 and a M1G. Essentially, they're the same package less a couple of key points, mainly hardware related (and only 8 zones difference). The big ones are voice/telephone control, 8 hardwired points, onboard serial port and separate outputs for sounders. Otherwise, it'll support everything else in the Elk stable.

If you're not maxing out the system, don't have a need for voice announcements and phone access, it's a viable platform to install in many cases. I've usually used them where I couldn't convince the HO to spring for an M1, but I needed the rules or had an outbuilding that required security and I was limited in conductors (to say, a Vista 128) and ethernet access wasn't a concern of the initial install. Once you add a serial and related, the pricepoint difference starts to close.

Too bad there isn't a brick and mortar shop nearby where you could purchase Elk parts...

Automated Outlet has an Austin store, near you.

Back