I need perimeter breach detection

SF1 said:
Like a pittbull terrier? ^_^

I am a dog person. Always have been. My dog and I are competing for obedience. When I was in the getting a new dog stage a few years ago it came down to something I could weaponize and do the Schutzhund training with or another herding dog. I have young children and live in a mindbogglingly peaceful place so I now have a herding dog. Also I live in MA and there are no castle laws here whatsoever. So if someone broke into my house, was armed but not brandishing the weapon and my dog mauled said person........... I would be liable. WTF? Otherwise all of this would be academic. I'd just get a dog, weaponize it and call it a day.

A problem with weaponizing a dog is that the bad guy can throw him a nice treat with a good sedative in it.

SF1 said:
My current pup is a Border Collie mix as well. If I don't find him a job he will find one for himself! Probably emptying the cabinets or some such.

I see three problems with dogs for this purpose.

Problem the first: They aren't infallible. Often, when the windows are closed, he doesn't hear an approaching car, let alone someone on foot.

Problem the second: If said dog is put in a position where they need to fight, which is NOT the MO of the kind of dogs we have, I can't stay afloat legally.

Problem the third: The dog doesn't record the incident. In hindsight I'm wishing I had some things recorded. My dog can't testify.

When I first got my dog he didn't bark at people coming. I had to teach him that. It took months and a lot of treats. He usually responds to a car door closing even when he's asleep (and since my neighbors are so close it's often their doors he's barking at) but I'm more concerned about people walking onto my property.

I have to say that my dog doesn't miss much and while I'm sure that she doesn't hear everything it is a fact that they hear much better than we do. I'm certain that she will hear a sound outside before I will even with the doors and windows closed. They are not magic but they hear much better than we do.

Mike

SF1 said:
My current pup is a Border Collie mix as well. If I don't find him a job he will find one for himself! Probably emptying the cabinets or some such.

When we first got ours I compared her to a wild squirrel that came down the chimney. She ran like the wind like her butt was on fire. Now she's almost 3 years old and she is much more civilized. We're constantly correcting her and she has become pretty well behaved. She has loads of toys to chew on and has learned to stay away from our stuff.

Reading the OP here and the current dilemma....not sure how much cameras, sensors will do other than alerting you.  I am not sure what could happen with a confrontation.

It sounds like your neighbors could care less and have no qualms about whatever they do nor do they have respect for their neighbor.

They will probably continue with their shenanigans no matter what which is a shame.  I personally am at a loss of words.

I'm not afraid of them. Really they have no idea what they're getting themselves into when they do this silly mean stuff. They have spent their entire lives in this peaceful "happy valley" and don't understand the repercussions that come from such behavior. I didn't call the police the last time their son went bananas because it was so blatantly obvious that he wasn't capable either physically or mentally of harming me but in retrospect I probably should have. I think I might have set a precedent by not reporting it. With the preimiter detection I'm more looking for a notification when I'm inside or out back and a recording when I'm not home.

Yes with perimeter and CCTV stuff you will get notified whether you are home or not which is a nice feature of this stuff.

It is good to communicate always.

Should something occur in the future it is probably good to at least notify the police just to keep it documented.

Latest issue with peer was that somebody dropped an old tire on his driveway. He has it all recorded on his CCTV.
Thinking he did call the police to report it. He has been doing a clean up walk around the outside of his home to pick up the garbage folks are dropping on his front walk and driveway (literally bags of garbage).

One thing that helped me with the CCTV stuff was putting in underground PVC tubing to the peripherals of the property with cams facing the home such that cameras looked at each other. The cameras were mounted low on 6X6 posts up some 4 feet from the berm between bushes and stuff. I did also mount LV lighting on top of the 6X6 posts using a 1.5 inch long drill bit drilling a hole down the center of the posts and out the side of the posts for camera mounting. Worked fine like this for over 10 years. Initially ran outdoor cat5e, RGXX Siamese cable. Started with pure analog using the RGXX/Siamese cable then over the years while still analog went to using cat5e baluns then went to POE HD IP cameras with 28mm lenses. The cameras did get covered with snow drifts in the winter sometimes. The older cheapo analog cameras did rust out over time.

I had a trained German Shepherd.  He was great for telling me that there was a raccoon in the back yard at 4AM.  (Ugh...)  He was very humble, but he would attack ferociously on command.  I never worried when my wife would go on a run.  I miss him quite a bit.

Is it possible to just have an open dialog with your neighbors?  Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, and all that. 

If it were me, I'd probably just put up a fence or hedge.  A few houses ago, I had some nosy neighbors who liked to come over and help themselves to my banana trees.  I planted some Sweet Viburnum plants, and they grew into a very substantial hedge in about two years.  They can grow up to 24 inches per year in the right climate.  A fence would have been faster, of course, but this was very effective and nice looking.

Since this is a tech forum, I had better add some tech...  I've seen some buried wire detection systems which look nice.  Something like this, maybe?  Or this?  If you do try anything like that, please report back.  I'd like to try something like that, too, as long as it won't break the bank.

You might ask DELinstallations.  It sounds like he's had lots of experience at levels well beyond typical residential stuff.

Those things look pricey. For that kind of cash I could probably just plant a fence. But fences are also expensive! One 8' section of fence costs something on the order of $130. I'm poor. I got a camera and am experimenting with Blue Iris. The motion detection is garbage. Either that or I have something misconfigured. It's not all the false positives. It's that it often doesn't catch motion! It won't even always catch a car pulling in the driveway.

You will not get great video algorithm motion detection stuff outside.  That is the nature of the beast.

You can square mini sections of the views and use multiples of these for motion detection. With ZM you can grade the level of response to changes in the view.  It is a PITA.

Like your driveway....make up a 1 foot wide width of driveway section to monitor.  Make sure there is never any cloud cover. tree shadows or leaves that fall on the driveway or birds that hang around the end of the driveway.

That is where I went to using outdoor sensor (wired analog stuff) and that wasn't that good for this stuff.

Really what worked the best was just creating daylight on any motion outside of my house after hours.

You can add sound of rushing dogs to the lighting with multiple speakers outside but that may ding all of your neighbors....well and starting going here to the dark side which is not what you want to do...

SF1 said:
Those things look pricey. For that kind of cash I could probably just plant a fence. But fences are also expensive! One 8' section of fence costs something on the order of $130. I'm poor. I got a camera and am experimenting with Blue Iris. The motion detection is garbage. Either that or I have something misconfigured. It's not all the false positives. It's that it often doesn't catch motion! It won't even always catch a car pulling in the driveway.

I tried to use a camera for motion detection in my garage and found that it was very sensitive to light coming in through windows. It would detect motion every time the sun went behind a cloud A good PIR motion sensor is an inexpensive way to detect motion and then add a camera for surveillance. Even with a PIR motion detector you may have problems with the wind moving branches and things.

Mike.

I have an Optex outdoor sensor but I imagine that cars going by would trigger it. I live on a fairly busy road and my front yard is pretty small. Maybe you can configure the distance of the sensitivity?

You might like an infra-red beam but I do not know what is the longest distance that you can reach with one.

Mike.

If you are set on using an outdoor motion detector, I would highly recommend you get a thermal camera like the one I have:  http://www.thermal.com/reveal-series.html

Motion detectors, like the Optex, use passive IR to determine movement.  They are for all practice purposes 10 or 20 pixel thermal cameras watching for thermal changes, but of course, you don't get to "see" what they are seeing.  A thermal camera DOES let you see what they are seeing. You will be amazed, for example, how long after dark trees and bushes retain heat. When the wind blows you now have a heated object moving, and the motion detector has to decide if that moving heated object is a tree or person.  For a "dumb" motion detector, its not always easy.  Mike mentioned moving clouds triggered a motion detector, and that falls along the same lines. 

"Motion" detectors do NOT see motion. What they detect is an IR profile that is changing.  Interestingly, here in Arizona, in the summer, its in the 90's outside at night, and "motion" detectors are pretty useless, since your body temp is very close to the background ground temp. 

mikefamig said:
You might like an infra-red beam but I do not know what is the longest distance that you can reach with one.

Mike.
Easily 1000 ft. with the laser versions of these, but the better ones have 3 or 5 beams to avoid false alarms from blowing leaves, etc.

ano said:
ano, on 24 Jul 2017 - 17:06, said:
Easily 1000 ft. with the laser versions of these, but the better ones have 3 or 5 beams to avoid false alarms from blowing leaves, etc.
And I doubt that most will spend the $3-5K for an outdoor laser sensor (optex redscan).

Photoelectric beam stack, which is what I think you're referring to, sure, but not laser.

Bunch of caveats for a beam stack, but they're generally they're going to be immune to blowing leaves and most environmental. Fog, frost, or obscuration of the stack are the common issues, followed by if there's wildlife in the area that can't be controlled by fencing.

Back