I need perimeter breach detection

DELInstallations said:
And I doubt that most will spend the $3-5K for an outdoor laser sensor (optex redscan).

Photoelectric beam stack, which is what I think you're referring to, sure, but not laser.

Bunch of caveats for a beam stack, but they're generally they're going to be immune to blowing leaves and most environmental. Fog, frost, or obscuration of the stack are the common issues, followed by if there's wildlife in the area that can't be controlled by fencing.
Its not that bad.  You can get 650 ft. for about $450.
https://www.amazon.com/Optex-SL-650QDP/dp/B00RU8UOBU

SF1 said:
Those things look pricey. For that kind of cash I could probably just plant a fence. But fences are also expensive! One 8' section of fence costs something on the order of $130. I'm poor. I got a camera and am experimenting with Blue Iris. The motion detection is garbage. Either that or I have something misconfigured. It's not all the false positives. It's that it often doesn't catch motion! It won't even always catch a car pulling in the driveway.

Sounds like something misconfigured to me. I know at least 8 people using this setup other than myself without major issues; granted there are false positives (e.g. bird flies close to camera) but otherwise it's pretty solid. One of those has 6 cameras, all sending her text messages any time motion is detected 24 hours a day.

ano said:
Its not that bad.  You can get 650 ft. for about $450.
https://www.amazon.com/Optex-SL-650QDP/dp/B00RU8UOBU
Wrong device. You're showing a PE beam, not Laser. Whole different world.

Laser: http://www.mysecurityparts.com/product/MSP-OP-RLS3060SH/100-X180DG-LASER-SCAN-DETECTOR.html?trackcode=googleBase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrofK086l1QIVD1YNCh0yUQZqEAkYAyABEgK3UvD_BwE

Don't forget, PE beam would require a transmitter and receiver, and the receiver requires power, so it's not single ended.

I would look at Resolution Products RE104/RE204 driveway sensor - one of the best sensors I have installed. It's extremely reliable.

The only secret for this sensor is to throw away the plastic stake, buy a pressure treated survey stake, carve the top round to match plastic stake.

I keep my Elk M1XRFEG/GE receiver installed just for this sensor. I have migrated all other sensor over the Elk 2-way. RE104 only detects cars. My sensor is about 20ft from busy road. I don't have any false alarms.

I believe one can be bought from AutomatedOutlet.

I asked Elk recently to create same sensor, but use Elk 2-way transmitter instead.

Yes here wired in a Cartell system many many years ago and it worked great for automobiles in the driveway but not people walking in the driveway. (well and in house automobiles used wireless RFID which also worked OK).

I went to adding fore and aft wired PIRs and cams with worked great (or good enough). 

d.dennerline said:
I would look at Resolution Products RE104/RE204 driveway sensor - one of the best sensors I have installed. It's extremely reliable.
I use these and they work well.  I had to install one on each side of the driveway to catch both sides.  Also install it at least 10' up the driveway or garbage trucks will set it off.

pete_c said:
You will not get great video algorithm motion detection stuff outside.  That is the nature of the beast.

You can square mini sections of the views and use multiples of these for motion detection. With ZM you can grade the level of response to changes in the view.  It is a PITA.

Like your driveway....make up a 1 foot wide width of driveway section to monitor.  Make sure there is never any cloud cover. tree shadows or leaves that fall on the driveway or birds that hang around the end of the driveway.

I have the same issue.  I have cameras on my driveway, front door, and looking out from the house in every direction.  I have motion sensing set up to send me emails with images.  I have lots of trees, and these cast moving shadows when the wind blows, so I get lots of emailed pictures of changing shadows.  If you carefully find a spot where there are no shadows now, wait until another season where the sunlight arrives at another angle, and you have to do it all over again. 

If a company launched a consumer-grade camera system which could adapt to seasons, moving shadows, giant FL insects, and blowing leaves, they'd probably sell very well.  I'd certainly buy one!

Edge camera analytics. It's where some portions of the pro market are going in an attempt to cut bandwidth usage from remote sites to centralized servers. In actuality, the overall cost of pro level IP cameras that are middle of the road for tech isn't too far off the consumer cost.

Back