Improve network reliability for wired and wireless networks when using a consumer based router

etc6849

With the number of network based HA devices increasing each year (even wireless is being used), I'm surprised there's not a discussion on how to improve networking reliablity, especially for wireless networks.

If you're like me, you probably have several devices networked in your home (ip based cameras, serial port servers, ir controllers etc...) and some may be wireless B or G (such as the new global cache wifi based controllers or one of the many wireless ip based caameras available).

In the past, I've bought several routers, but was always disappointed by each in terms of wireless reliablity. Some routers, such as the Linksys/Cisco E3000 that I tried, would even drop or experience a large slow down when using ethernet cable! I also tried two high end routers last year made by D-Link, only to return both of them for dropped connections.

As it turns out, there are ways to greatly enhance consumer grade router reliability. Here are some tricks I learned and have verified to work over the last month after running speed tests each day and even leaving my HA webpage open on each machine to see if the connection would drop.

1. Don't rely on off the shelf firmware, pick a well known router and use an open source firmware that supports it such as dd-wrt:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/

For example, I had numerous slow downs when using the new E3000 router by Linksys. My internet speed would frequently drop from 2-3Mbits/sec to only 100kbits/second! To fix the speed issue, I'd have to reboot the router twice a week. It wasn't until I discovered a firmware for it under a support thread (see dd-wrt's forum) that this problem was fixed for good. I've been running DD-WRT on the router ever since and it's never dropped speed.

The old router (the one the E3000 replaced) would constantly drop the internet connection entirely; it was a Linksys WRT120N. Before retiring it, the WAN connection became so bad it would drop once per day! After my success with DD-WRT on the E3000, I installed a mature DD-WRT firmware on it and the connection ran fine! I only disconnected the updated 120N to place the E3000 back in service as it has gigabit LAN, but the 120N ran better than it ever had using DD-WRT.

2. If you must use wireless for whatever reason and live in a condo or congested area, use a free survey tool to see what channel others are on and pick a free channel.

I found this greatly increased my wireless connection to where it never drops. This is the free tool I use since it's supported under Windows 7 and also gives a 5GHz survey is inSSider (also opensource):
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/download

3. Need a wireless bridge to extent the number of available ethernet ports?

Using DD-WRT, you can turn your old router into virtually any wireless/wired networking device. Here's a few options available under DD-WRT:

Access Point / Switch
Extend the Wireless access area using more routers, with wired connections between routers, or turn a wired port on an existing network into a Wireless Access Point. All computers will be on the same network segment, and will be able to see one another in Windows Network.

Wireless Access Point - Extend Wi-Fi & LAN
(Requires physical ethernet connection between routers)
Switch - Similar config as WAP, but radio disabled (accepts only wired connections)

Repeater / Repeater Bridge
Extend the Wireless access area using a second router. Second router does not need any wired connections.

Repeater Bridge: A wireless repeater with DHCP & NAT disabled, clients on same subnet as host AP (primary router). That is, all computers can see one another in Windows Network.

Repeater: A wireless repeater with DHCP & NAT enabled, clients on different subnet from host AP (primary router). Computers connected to one router can not see computers connected to other routers in Windows Network.

Universal Wireless Repeater: Uses a program/script called AutoAP to keep a connection to the nearest/best host AP.

Client / Client Bridge
Connect two wired networks using a WiFi link.

Wireless Bridge: Join two wired networks by two Wireless routers building a bridge. All computers can see one another in Windows Network.
Client Bridged: (simplified instructions for a wireless bridge)
Client Mode: Join two wired networks by two Wireless routers (unbridged). Computers on one wired network can not see computers on other wired network in Windows Network.

WDS
Extend the Wireless access area using more routers. Extra routers does not need any wired connections. WDS is a mesh network.

WDS Linked router network
WDS Point To Point (P2P)

OLSR
Extend the Wireless access area using more routers. Extra routers does not need any wired connections. Use several ISP (Internet) connections. OLSR is a mesh network.

Source: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

4. Once your done, use a testing program such as iPerf to ensure packet loss is low and throughput is high:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf/

For a compiled EXE for windows, look here: http://linhost.info/2010/02/iperf-on-windows/

This is important since a wireless survey tool will only detect other wireless networks. You really need something to test real world performance becuase things like microwave ovens, cordless phone and other non-wifi devices can and will impact your bandwidth. This is a great and free alternative to buying an expensive spectrum analyzer.

Great post. Much appreciated and very timely. I setup a WRT300N and USR9106 as Wireless Access Points recently and found inSSIDer very useful for finding free channels. Your other tips will only improve the situation as I have a lot of issues with drops, and with WPA Shared Keys not being relayed by the routers setup as WAP's.

Thanks for the share.

Historically only used wireless in the house for the laptops.

I've also noticed over the years many folks assume full advertised bandwidth with their access points but never consider what affects propagation of their signal. (so they have issues with audio / video wireless from NAS boxes).

These days have added wireless picture frames and wireless HA touchscreens.

I specifically fine tune wireless for HA touchscreens lately. (use 2 Buffalo and 1 Linksys DD-WRT AP's).

I've also set up about 5 near neighbors for wireless utilizing the Linksys DD-WRT setups (with WPA) and manually specificied channels such that we don't get much overlap in the area. (historically had noticed that they would just utilize them "out of the box" with no adjustments to any settings for their wireless.

I noticed overlapping channels too. There are 6 wireless networks all on channel 6 in my apartment complex! I can't imagine the dropped connection issues they must be having or the slower speeds.

It sounds like DD-WRT has been 100% stable for you? That's good to hear. I've only been using DD-WRT for a little over a month and I'm very impressed with it's reliability.

I've also set up about 5 near neighbors for wireless utilizing the Linksys DD-WRT setups (with WPA) and manually specificied channels such that we don't get much overlap in the area. (historically had noticed that they would just utilize them "out of the box" with no adjustments to any settings for their wireless.

DD-WRT has done well for me over the last 5 or so years in current home and about 2-3 years in FL.

Am I the only one using Tomato? I have it on an Asus WL-520GU and have not had to reboot since it was installed a year ago.

DD-WRT just happened to be the first one I found on google ;) Does tomato work on the newer Linksys wireless N routers (WRT610N, E3000 etc...)?

Am I the only one using Tomato? I have it on an Asus WL-520GU and have not had to reboot since it was installed a year ago.

I use Tomato on a couple of Linksys routers. I have my WiFi router running it and it is great for doing wireless site surveys. I also have one setup in bridge mode to run a couple of computers in my kids rooms. I think Tomato has a bit nicer interface and survey/bandwidth tools. The Philips TSU series remotes have some WiFi issues and doing the site survey to find open channels helps them tremendously.

I have 5 static IP's and a fairly complex set of forward/drop rules on my internet facing router and I DO NOT use Tomato there (only because the Linksys doesn't support the throughput). I may actually try DD-WRT on a FIOS Actiontec router.

Also another Tomato user here. Currently on 1.15 and haven't had an issue since installing. I would never go back to the Linksys firmware.

Also worth noting that for wireless channels 1, 6, and 11 are "primary" channels (they don't overlap). Pick those channels if they are unused, and if you are in a multi-AP configuration you must use those channels.

I was using DD-WRT but switched to Tomato and found it much faster and a bit more reliable. But either one is light years better than the standard firmware.

I guess for me was how many different devices / different ways that I could get DD-WRT on. Most recently tried DD-WRT on a D-Link AP. I have yet to try Tomato and have heard only good about it. Before that installed DD-WRT on a very small "portable" do all Asus AP/FW. Worked fine. This box is great for travel in that it works as a wireless repeater/FW or AP FW to a HW connection.

Back