Improve network reliability for wired and wireless networks when using a consumer based router

I am still running OpenWRT White Russian, but has been rock solid, the only issue I have is running out of memory so I can't install new features. I have considered switching to DDWRT but haven't gotten up the courage yet.

One thing I don't think was mentioned above is the ability to adjust your TX strength. Some of these firmwares and APs allow you to adjust your TX above the spec to increase your signal strength.

DD-WRT lets you adjust TX strength too among other things, which is nice. If your router has multiple antennae, you can also define which antenna chain to use (supported on WNDR3700).

DD-WRT lets you adjust TX strength too among other things, which is nice. If your router has multiple antennae, you can also define which antenna chain to use (supported on WNDR3700).

I also use DD-WRT, one thing they dont caution you to (O r I haven't seen it published...) is that by increasing the signal strength you 1 void the FCC certification that the device has on it, and 2 you can go too far where you are either into compression of the TX chip and now you over modulate it and may not be able to connect to it.

I'm running Tomato FW on my Linksys WRT54G for 2 years now. Never fails and adds LOTS of functions to the Linksys.

Back