Insignia Infocast 8" Touchscreen $99

This is what I see in Firefox when I run "slide.php"

The image “http://192.168.244.142/php/slide.php” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

I created a test.php to show pics in directory IE:

Code:
<html>
<body>
<?php
//Open images directory
$dir = @ dir("images");

//List files in images directory
while (($file = $dir->read()) !== false)
  {
  echo "filename: " . $file . "<br />";
  }

$dir->close();
?>
</body>
</html>

and it shows:

filename: IMG_5050.jpg
filename: .
filename: IMG_4775.gif
filename: IMG_4775.jpg
filename: IMG_4978.jpg
filename: IMG_4981.jpg
filename: IMG_4799.jpg
filename: ..
filename: IMG_4801.jpg

you can look at the error_log in your apache directory assuming you have logging enabled - it should tell you the line number if you have an error in the script. otherwise, if you comment out the last 2 lines of the script, you can run the php script from a shell and find out where the error is that way

//header('content-type: image/gif');
//echo $im;

Thanks Damage

Looking at the apache error logs see:

This is from the OSD piece in the xml file that I wasn't using. Removed this piece. Restarting application .....

PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /var/www/chumby-status.php on line 30

Found it.

PHP Warning: file_get_contents(imagesIMG_4775.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/php/slide.php on line 44

working now via browser ...it was the directory syntax (fat fingered it-age???).

Chumby also now going into screen saver....great stuff!

Looks like Chumby sites are down tonight...can't get to forums or wiki...at least from the MW (Comcast ISP)

Damage,

Its all me and my trying to makes things more difficult than they really are. (a mole hill out of an ant hill).

Both with the TTS and the Slide application I couldn't create a mount to a shared drive on the network by hand; probably because my hands don't connect to my head sometimes.

I ended up writing a couple of short scripts to mount the shares; as they seemed to work versus the head connected(?) to the hands scenario.

I'm blasting the network now with XPL and XAP messages and looking forward to initial status screens on my Chumby; keeping it light with some but not too much interaction via touch but rather using the touch for various screens of information (IE like weather, cam shots, security status, temperatures, etc). IE: one unisys satellite shot speaks a 100 words.

I appreciate your patience as most of this is a large learning curve for me.

i know what you mean. i'm leaving a flash drive connected to each infocast so i can add a bunch of stuff to the debugchumby script to run at startup - including mounting the filesystems.

not a problem. i figure i'm training you as support staff for the LAMP/xPL methodology ;)

Thank you for your patience; I'm a slow learner.

Purchased a "few" of those microSD USB dongles. Very very small. I am still running the LAMP server on an older 1.2Ghz PC. Noticing I am starting to ding the CPU utilization with it being around 90% or so...but its only a P3.

Mostly have just been playing with one Chumby on my home office desk. I removed the digitial picture frame that was there and replaced it with a chumby. I like that I can interupt the screen saver to go to the interactive touch screen. This morning also running your panel application on the "little" 3.5" Chumby in the MB to see how the slide screen saver works (works fine); other than the screen size thing it also works well with the screen saver as is. I haven't modified it yet.

After many many years WAF is good now. I remember once in the 1980's walking thru the kitchen with a "small" twin SU carburetor to rebuilt it in the basement - not good for WAF....

i haven't had a chance to test much on the 3.5 as my 9 y.o. poached it from my wife. i did fix the screen scaling for panels on the 3.5. before, the entire 800x600 panels would be resized to illegible 320x240 screens. now they show up regular size, which means you'd need to create separate screens for the 3.5 to deal w/ the reduced screen area. i'm assuming you can create a separate channel on chumby.com for the 3.5's and add panel builder to it, configuring it to point to its own set of xml files. i have yet to try that. when i get time, i'll look into dynamically scaling the slideshow pictures for different screen sizes - i suspect it's only showing a portion of the image displayed on the 3.5?

Yes, the 3.5" Chumby is showing a "piece" of the panel both for the panel touchscreen and the slide show. Initially did a quick redo for the 3.5" screen using a separate XML (babychumby.xml). It was kind of a micro miniature of the 8" Chumby with very tiny buttons and even smaller fonts (too small for my eyes though).

Right now mostly running just a clock,security cams and music on the 3.5" Chumby. It's still more like the nightstand clock radio setup. The MB endeavor (WAF)was a touchscreen event of sorts mostly relating to changing the methodology for adjusting the thermostat on an in-wall new touchscreen. The wife though still (for whatever reason) uses a circa 1970's clock radio with the numbers that flip down. (its mechanical with little bitty number panels).

just playing around with gesture control to change camera views & control screen brightness http://goo.gl/cZSBG

Very nice video Damage.

I'm still in the process of building the first XPL screen but have added HS remote (dimming at night) and let the screen go to the screensaver slide show at the end of the day. I don't send TTS over to it because of all of the zoned TTS speakers in the house. I am experimenting though with having one touchscreen; speaker client talk french instead of english (see if my wife absorbs any of it - so far its only irritating her). What's nice though is that I can create an event on HS to brighten the screen and send a TTS wake up to the Chumby.

The base for Panel that I have running now with boot is:

1 - xplhub
2 - python script
3 - LAMP server with another xplhub running, mysql and Apache2 running.
4 - mapping of various entities on the network via CIFS (have you tried NFS? I cannot get it to work on the Infocast as documented on the Chumby Wiki. I created some NFS shares on the FreeNas box and connected to the NFS shares with no issues with other Linux boxes; just the Infocast doesn't work).

I purchased a new (from DHL in China) 9097 1-wire USB dongle that uses 3wire plugs for the temperature sensors. It came with two 1-wire temperature sensors and "splitters". Very well contructed for around $25 or so. It took about a month to get here but worth it. I want to plug this into a Dockstar with XPL running sending the data over to one of one Infocasts screens.

Will your camera views work with secure with login user and password IP cam connections? I basically proxy all of the cams (analogue and IP) via Zoneminder and utilize security with it. Its much easier than having to set up individual ports per camera (say for IP cams). Zoneminder lets me do both live video and snapshot pictures along with sizing the video.

The ZM video snapshot looks like the following:

Code:
http://ipofzoneminder/cgi-bin/nph-zms?mode=single&monitor=7&scale=100&user=username&pass=password

I've also configured end of the day mpeg4 video snippets and can copy them to a shared resource. It's kind of neat and puts all of the video events together in one file which really is only a few seconds long depending on the number of events. Does you video IP Cam application play videos?

do you have a link to the 1wire dongle you got? i don't think my app should have a problem w/ username/pwd for cameras. you can give it a try & find out. it doesn't play videos though.

I do and will post shortly. (its on another computer). For a bit I saw the company posting its 1-wire wares on Ebay; then they switched over to DHL (which much be a company located in China)

Found the flyer that was inclosed with the order. Very glossy! I scanned and PDF'd it; it is attached.
The cables look like plain old stereo style cable extensions. The "deal" that I got was for the USB 9097 dongle plus one pair of temperature sensors with long wires for sensors and an extension wire to said temperature sensors.

Attachments

• PCSensor dot com.pdf
    271.3 KB · Views: 14
Recieved the small USB to NIC interfaces from China yesterday. They appear to be made for an Apple product. They include Linux sources for drivers. I like the footprint.

Back