Insignia Infocast 8" Touchscreen $99

I am still having issues. I had to factory reset one of my Insignia 8 in infocasts and I can't re-register it. The insignia registration page is dead. Hopefully this is temporary?

EDIT: Now neither one works. It looks like the one chumby maybe stole the identity of the other, I don't know, but they both are asking to be activated.

one of my i8's with the c8 firmware just got an update - the chumbrowser is now a menu item. my others haven't gotten the update yet

I too saw that mine said it was no longer registered last night; but instead of even trying, I just rebooted it and it came up fine. Then today it did say there was an update - but I see nothing about a chumbrowser.

one of my i8's with the c8 firmware just got an update - the chumbrowser is now a menu item. my others haven't gotten the update yet

I was able to re-register mine using the C8 registration page instead of the insignia page. They are both working now.

Question, I found on the chumby forum that you can write the C8 firmware to the I8. It appears that you have done this. I take it that you recommend this? What are the advantages, risks, etc? Any comments on the procedure to do the switch.

thanks

if you are running c8 firmware on your i8 you will see the chumbrowser. otherwise, you'll see nothing new http://goo.gl/SL29v

the instructions i used are in this post http://goo.gl/UMXEh - you should read through the whole thread as people have posted some issues. personally, i haven't had any problems. it's a nicer interface. but the big point for me is it's more stable with some code i was developing that would eventually crash on the i8.

Damage, nice work. I am about to dive in to this.

Infocasts on eBay for cheap.

Has anyone donated for all your work?

Personally with where Chumby is today I would make the Chumby non dependant on the Chumby dot com site for anything. This statement though is related to only the Chumby and Infocast devices. Sony has moved their "Dash" devices over to Sony for support. The Sony Dash though had only a 500Mhz Arm CPU.

I think I did parts of this modifying the scripts. Ideally though keeping the best parts of the base OS and making it run independant of Chumby dot com would be recommended at this point in time.

Back