Insignia Infocast 8" Touchscreen $99

I really would love to get one of these, but I don't want more 'shelf ornaments' ;) I really want to see Android run on this device, so it would be very home automation client friendly.

Yes I went and just purchased one. And yes the shelves has a "few" "in process" projects. I put power strips on two book shelves for Touch tablets that are sitting idle. Initially walked into the Best Buy. Had the sales guy check and they only had two in stock. Picked one up. As I was leaving the store noticed that I had picked up an Insignia Photoframe - same price - almost the same model number. Went back to the sales guy who was able to find me the Infocast.

I bought two @ $79 each last night. The wife thought they were 'cute' and this morning asked if I thought we should pick up a few more at that price. Off to Best Buy I go!

I'm not crazy about Flash development, but knowing that it's a 'common' ARM processor and Linux underneath I'm confident I'll be able to do something with them. There's already a webkit browser and I've been working on a lot of HTML5 apps so there's always that.

so I bought mine at $99 - do they do price adjustments?

if you bought in store, just go in & they'll adjust it. if you bought online w/ store pickup, you have to call & wait on hold for 20+ minutes before someone helps you, but they'll eventually adjust it. (at least that was my experience yesterday).

i have a 2nd that i bought online & haven't picked up but there are no stores with any within 40 miles of me now.

i am starting to play around with learning actionscript with the free flashdevelop package http://www.flashdevelop.org/wikidocs/index.php?title=Main_Page

i've done just a little tinkering - setting it up to enable sshd on boot and mounting a few network shares.

picked up my 2nd unit today. there were 8 others on hold for pickup.

i took off the bottom cover just to verify that the internal storage is indeed a microsd card so in case you really want to muck with it, you can take the card out and use a different one for hacks. you should also be able to put in larger cards (the stock is 2gb).

Attachments

• icast.jpg
    icast.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 37
I got one too - Interesting that it boots off of an internal card - the idea of multiple cards is cool too. I know they will boot from a usb thumbdrive, but can you take the internal card, insert in the external slot & boot from it?

i don't think it will boot from an external slot. it doesn't actually boot from usb either. it has the capability to execute a script called 'debugchumby' on a usb drive at boot time.

Got #2 tonight.

I asked my son to check stock at the warehouse in the MW. He said there's none left now. He did a quick check in the stores and there's a few left locally here and there.

Just got back from Best buy...they are now $169. It was a two day sale of $79. The manager would not match the price for me :(
It's true - Checked online - $169.99 - Quite rare that *I* actually get a deal like this. Not to mention winning one of the daily give-a-ways! (50.00 Gift certificate)

Congratulations on your win Monk!

Thanks Pete
I know exactly what I want to get with it - An outside Zwave controlled outlet thingy for xmas lights... However, the AO website isn't very friendly and I gave up trying to find one. :axe: will have to call I suppose.

Back