Intel Edison now shipping. Aimed at Internet of Things...

NeverDie said:
Thanks for bringing Photon to our attention.  It does sound interesting.  I think I'll probably take a closer look at it, and I may order one or two to try out.  I also like the idea of the wireless web interface for programming it: makes using it less of a hassle. 

Will it run Python?  If not, and if that's important to you,  you may want to look into this:  http://www.micropython.org/
 Thanks for the pointer. I was reluctant so far trying that out.  May be we are on  verge, transiting from Cortex M3 Wifi Boards to Cortex M7 ore A8 devices offering that needed acceleration of time to market...

Efried said:
 Thanks for the pointer. I was reluctant so far trying that out.  May be we are on  verge, transiting from Cortex M3 Wifi Boards to Cortex M7 ore A8 devices offering that needed acceleration of time to market...

If you find a python platform you like, please do post about it.  I haven't been looking hard yet, but I'm interested in that as well.  The pi and the beaglebone black are popular choices.  You might want to have a look at the beaglebone black, if it's size isn't a barrier to whatever you need, if you haven't already.

pete_c said:
I have not ordered an Edision to play with.  Price points (most for you money) now though go to the little Intel Celeron based mini pcs which are around $100.

What multiple of Raspberry Pi performance would you guess the $100 Celeron mini pc would buy?  Roughly which celeron processor would that be?  Perhaps I'm in the wrong paradigm investigating ARM devices for HS3.  I do get the sinking feeling that at ~$70 and up, Intel platforms provides better value than the ARM solutions.

NeverDie said:
If you find a python platform you like, please do post about it.  I haven't been looking hard yet, but I'm interested in that as well.  The pi and the beaglebone black are popular choices.  You might want to have a look at the beaglebone black, if it's size isn't a barrier to whatever you need, if you haven't already.

most m4 arm platforms, having 1MB would do. but for Wifi  only big players like Intel may afford mating SOC cpu  and Wifi  cores, I may also test the spark solution if having trust in the product, but would prefer Intel...

NeverDie said:
What multiple of Raspberry Pi performance would you guess the $100 Celeron mini pc would buy?  Roughly which celeron processor would that be?  Perhaps I'm in the wrong paradigm investigating ARM devices for HS3.  I do get the sinking feeling that at ~$70 and up, Intel platforms provides better value than the ARM solutions.

I guess for discussion purposes something like this could serve as placeholder for such a system:  http://www.amazon.com/ASRock-Q1900M-Motherboard-Micro/dp/B00JO1DIIM/ref=sr_1_15?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1417723805&sr=1-15&keywords=motherboard+combo

Can HS3 on Linux take advantage of extra cores (say 4 versus 2), or would it just be a waste of electricity?

What multiple of Raspberry Pi performance would you guess the $100 Celeron mini pc would buy? 
None today.

Maybe for that distributed processing stuff or just using a Z-Wave Controller and nothing else keeping the number of variables, scripts, plugins and events down to a minimum.

Roughly which celeron processor would that be?  Perhaps I'm in the wrong paradigm investigating ARM devices for HS3.  I do get the sinking feeling that at ~$70 and up, Intel platforms provides better value than the ARM solutions.

The newest ones which provide you with the most for the least amount of money (power, CPU, memory et al). 

When the first Android based little video dongle's came out, the software worked but didn't use the hardware cuz they couldn't figure it out.  The folks at XBMC learned how to create a base Linux XBMC OS using the hardware for these sticks that ran circles around the Android based OS that use software to emulate the hardware stuff (well you did have a fancy Android GUI to look at) and the XBMC base didn't have that. 

Over time it will get faster and better and smaller.

The ASRock Motherboard Micro Q1900M is a very nice motherboard. 

Can HS3 on Linux take advantage of extra cores (say 4 versus 2), or would it just be a waste of electricity?
Yes.  One with an I5 or I7 and 8 Gb of internal memory would be faster.

You can purchase one of these now for around $100 or less.

mini-pc.jpg

One more thing relating to Homeseer is that I never put nor wanted to put all my automation "eggs" - "huevos" in one basket.  I have always liked to tinker with this stuff. (well since the late 1970's)

Maybe you've seen this one before, but I only just now ran across it:

41rWRdPC4QL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DE3815TYKHE-DE3815TYKH0E-1-46Ghz-Single/dp/B00JPZU8M6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417762762&sr=8-2&keywords=de3815tykhe

Product Description

the Intel Nuc Kit De3815tykhe, Built With An Intel Atom Processor For Intelligent Systems, Is A Pint-sized Powerhouse For Value-conscious Businesses And Organizations. This Low-cost, Low-power Solution Introduces Many Firsts To The Intel Nuc Form-factor: Fanless Thermal Solution For The Ultimate Silence And Reliability, Onboard Flash Storage For Small-footprint Software Solutions, Internal Flat Panel Display Connectivity For Built-in Screens, Video Graphics Array (vga) Port For Monitor Compatibility In Legacy Installations, Serial Ports Header For Peripherals Requiring The Robustness Of Hardware Handshaking, Watchdog Timer For Resilient System Availability, And Also Inter-integrated Circuit (i2c) And Pulse Width Modulation (pwm) Signals For Interfacing With Sensors And Other Embedded Devices Enabling The Internet Of Things.

Much of the description sounds like it could be describing the Raspberry Pi or one of its close competitors, doesn't it?

pete_c said:
While the base OS is very light on the RPi; adding Mono to it makes it heavy (heavier and slower).

Pete,  have you tried http://www.homegenie.it/ or http://www.domoticz.com/ on your RPi ?  They both are set up to run on the RPi.

Home Genie runs on .NET/Mono so it would be interesting to compare its speed to HS to see if its more a mono overhead issue or the application running on top of mono.

Domiticz is pure C++ without mono so this might also indicate how much overhead mono adds.

Thank you Automate; I will give Homegenie / domoticz a try. 

The Almond + (s) that I am playing with uses C++.  Very simple with just basic controls (on and off) stuff.

Its is self contained with its own tiny interface and a bit more than the automation hubs out there.

Specifications:
  • dual core ARM Cortex-A9 processor
  • Simultaneous dual band AC1750 3×3 MIMO 802.11ac and 802.11n Wi-Fi
  • Integrated ZigBee and Z-Wave support for home automation
  • Gigabit WAN and four Gigabit LAN ports
  • 3.5-inch resistive touch screen for easy setup and control, no PC, tablet or smartphone needed
  • Two USB 3.0 port
Lots of play area - much more and faster than the little TP-Link Microrouter.  There is also an OpenWRT interface on the device.

I have another little box (Pogo Plug - Seagate Dockstar) which has been running mono now for a couple of years 24/7.  With one application its done well.  The USB base connected devices here are SSD. 

SeagateDockstar.jpg

A while back also played with a CAI Webcontrol device.  Had it for a couple of years; then passed it forward to another automation peer.

It was an early version and mostly just wanted it for my 1-wire network.  I have multiple 1-wire networks and devices on line.  At the time it was mostly just doing some hardware mods to it.

There was no issue relating to transition, programming or debugging as I like to tinker.  (where there is a will there is a way)

I have bits and pieces of pogo plugs, chumbys et all all over my play workbench.  Lately its pieces of Almond stuff (Securifi) and Openpeak stuff.  The Almond stuff is ARM based and the Openpeak stuff is Intel based.  I took apart my Almond + before even turning it on a while ago.  The Openpeak motherboards were way ahead of their time with multifunction and multifunction OS's on them.  That said I have soldered on to the non used traces on these board (which utilize EFI booting). I didn't know much about EFI booting until I played with this device (even though most of the newer stuff I have is EFI based booting)  I have added a pata zif connector mostly to these boards (plus USB ports).  They do have DECT wireless, Zigbee chip, SIM card, SD card and deluxe models have mini pcie card slots.  It was sold as a cloud based little kiosk (telephony, energy and texting) years ago.

I like the board you mention; It has many functions. 

Yeah; the one in the link above was utilized by MCS Michael recently relating to running Homeseer stuff on the new Arm based devices. 

The RPi like device is very fast and working well with the MCS stuff today.

mcsSprinklers

Michael from MCS can mention much more of his testing here with the device in the links and related information.

There is a history here....well and for me personally it started here on Cocoontech with a "special deal" offered below a few years back.  It started initially by running mcsSprinklers on Linux using an Arm based device called the PogoPlug.  Thinking I purchased two models wanting to get the most memory from whatever Pogo Plug was offered.  Concurrently here on CT a special deal came up relating to purchasing the Seagate Dockstar on close out.  Personally went to testing both the PogoPlug and the Seagate Dockstar.  Around the same time also started to play a bit with the USB Mimo mini monitor.  I got bitten by these devices and purchased a few (4) using two and putting two away (still have them).

I went to testing the mcsSprinkler program running on the PogoPlug with Mono (whatever Linux flavor for a bit) user testing the mcsSprinklers program.

It worked great.  Meanwhile I was able to get the Seagate Dockstar with Dockstar Debian and the USB Mimo monitor to work like a mini computer of sorts.  I did turn this into a HSTouch touchscreen based on the USB Mimo touchscreen.  Worked.  I had been testing a bit with the PogoPlugs and noticed that they would get really warm.  I had put one into the garage cabinet for connectivity to the rain8nets.  It would though shut down from the heat.  I then went to testing mcsSprinkers on the Dockstart Debian or ArchLinux and settled on ArchLinux.

It just worked and I pretty much left it alone.  Only changes I noticed in the beginning was a long term trashing of the USB sticks.  Michael fixed this by adding a second USB stick.  Here shifted by using a USB connected CF card and a USB stick.  I then changed again by using a USB SSD stick and a USB ZIF connected SSD drive which is still working fine today after a couple of years.

This was the very first Homeseer Plugin that I tested to run in mono Linux way back and truely the first test of running in Linux Mono a Homeseer application.

Fast forward to the Homeseer Zee (2013.  I purchased it because it was the first version of Homeseer to run in Linux and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it and I did.  I did install it on a variety of Linux devices and builds that I was using (64bit and 32bit - though all Intel or AMD stuff)

A dialog started though sometime there about running mcsSprinklers on the RPi a few months after I purchased the Zee. 

I did regrettably stated a "debbie downer" based on what I had been testing on the RPi (trying to break Homeseer)  mostly that the RPI was just too slow and not to spend the time with it.  Well that was me though.  (well cuz too I compared the speed of the Seagate Dockstar and RPI side by side).  I was not impressed; but again that is just a personal comment.  Michael did mention a search to me; but here I was a bit deep into running Linux, Android or Windows on the Openpeak devices (way too deep?)

Too here I got bitten by my tabletop Openpeak device playing (and have purchased every model available) and still mostly playing with these devices.

Michael has now found the "Holy grail" like RPi on steroids to run his Homeseer Plugins and applications on an Arm based Linux device and it is working well.   

Kudos to Mike on this endeavor!!!

Note I wrote the above quickly and may have missed some stuff.

Efried said:

and those days mbed.org is making huge promises supporting us on that way...

Back