Intel Edison now shipping. Aimed at Internet of Things...

Summarizing my research from the Internet:

ARM increases pace by taking up the Arduino Zero idea, pushing the mbed ecotope for heterogeneous environments, focusing on non electronic illiterates. May be spark can be a competitor with its photon, but they are depending on their Chinese maker much.
Arduino have teamed with Beagleboard creating the Arduino Tre for master control units.
Intel may be a competitor with the galileo (master)/edison(slaves) if they roll out more accessories and allow cheap networking...
Raspberry may stay as board provider for coders, but not offering the ecotope like Arduino.

hope this is correct.

sorry Pete, some devices (spark.io, intel edison)  are not available yet, the Arduino Zero was stopped. I have little experiences with PCDuino and RPi apart from CAI webcontrol, but this is a different story. I don't think the linux boards are usable for reliable M2M. They require to much fiddling around with OS configuration. What I'm searching is high level programming at a 20 USD price of the unit featuring PWM, wireless and 1wire, OTA update.

Yup; with time I think you will see better.  The fiddling pieces of the OS configurations and methodologies are better than they used to be. 

I mean just a few years back you could only utilize a serial jtag connection to talk to the OS of an embedded device and even this was primitive and really slow; years before that it was just a line by line machine talk with compilers sort of stuff which was even slower.

High level programming many times takes into account basic a static fit kernel, plus a base OS then the conduit pieces of high level programming. 

While it works an all inclusive device utilizes processor, kernal memory, os memory and temporary scratch memory is truely getting smaller and faster and growing exponentially at a much faster rate than say just 3-4 years ago and concurrently getting to that $20 USD price point.

You can order an Edison along with Arduino breakout board from Amazon. I have one running right now, and it’s an amazing device. It took a very small amount of time to get connected to Internet using wireless. In addition, I have a 32GB SDCard connected. You can compile native programs onboard using  gcc. It contains a variety of buses and gpio.

root@edison:~# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:         984100 kB
MemFree:          856792 kB

root@edison:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 74
model name      : Genuine Intel(R) CPU   4000  @  500MHz
stepping        : 8
microcode       : 0x810
cache size      : 1024 KB
siblings        : 2

I was at the Web Summit show in Dublin last month (CastleOS had a booth). There were several big companies showing off recently released and upcoming systems on a chip and dev boards specifically aimed at the IoT. Suffice it to say this category is about to get much bigger, and give Arduino and RasPi et al a run for their money. 

Back