Intergrating Ring Security with Omni Pro II

chasers03

I have just installed a complete Ring Security System with 2 Motions, 5 door/window sensors & a Smoke/CO listener.. All are communicating with the Base station via Z-Wave.  Since I have a $100 a year Ring camera recording acct. I get professional Security monitoring included which I don't have with my OMni Pro II security. 

Soooooo the question is how can I get the OPII fire and burglar alarm system with all of its contacts etc. to also trigger the Ring System.

I am thinking that Ring Smoke Listener can be located next to the Omni Pro alarm speaker to trigger the Ring system when that speaker sounds off for a fire or burglar alarm.

But shouldn't there be another trigger method generated by the OP to the Ring Zwave network?  You guys got any ideas????

It seems like you would want to go the other way with the OPII as primary, but if you meant to use Ring as the primary fire and burglar system, you might try rigging a ring contact to open using OP relay on Ring sensor.  I believe there is also a Z-wave dry contact bridge that will work.

The down side is that Ring is not as reliable as one would hope, and less so with an unsupported the suggested interconnect.  It would make more sense to use the OPII for serious emergencies and add a monitoring contract to it and then use the Ring for "potential" emergencies and NVR. Granted you won't save the $120 a year security monitoring, but given the UL-listed capability and reliability of the OPII could save someone's life someday.

Thanks Star.  Interesting thoughts.  Take a Ring Contact Sensor magnet mounted to a plunger relay operated by the OP as an output fired by any of the primary OP Security Alarms ie. Fire, Away, & Vacation condition violations.  Is that what you are thinking?

Got any info on the Z-wave dry contact bridge?  I Want to know more about that...

I have not had call out ability from the OP for years because of Cellular complications and security monitoring costs.  It appears that Ring could be even more reliable than the OPII but time will tell. 

@Chasers03,

I agree with StarTrekDoors relating to the OmniPro 2 being your primary alarm and connected accordingly is your best life and saftey device.

It would make more sense to use the OPII for serious emergencies and add a monitoring contract to it and then use the Ring for "potential" emergencies and NVR. Granted you won't save the $120 a year security monitoring, but given the UL-listed capability and reliability of the OPII could save someone's life someday.

No - not the sensor and a magnet.  Break the circuit using a relay [as part of the Ring sensor's circuit] on the OPII.

@pete_c - Thank you for the agreement! :rockon:   Ring has had too many failures to date and I would not want to depend on "popular" gadgetry for my safety.  Lots of promos and commercial ads does not "make" Ring reliable.

Starr and Pete thank you for the input. Star The ring security system is totally Z wave on its own network of Contacts, motions, etc., with its base station as the network controller i.e. the same as the VRcop for the OmniPro.

Sinse I understand the Ring Z wave and Visia OP Z wave networks cannot be one in the same Im interested in a way of bridging as you mentioned.

I think the reliability and safety point they are making is that Ring’s security is not UL listed. You are correct that Ring and Omni support ZWave, but I don’t think either of them is security rated by UL using the ZWave network. The Omni supports UL approved home security and fire, but an install meeting the UL standard would not use ZWave.

I hear the reliability/UL concerns but going to dive in anyway...... I purchased this https://www.zwaveproducts.com/shop/brands/ecolink/dwzwave2-5-eco-ecolink-z-wave-plus-door-window-sensor-dwzwave2-5-eco for its contacts [which I could connect to the Omni Pro II] but no matter how I got it integrated into the Ring Security Base Station [it was accepted easily] it would only be recognized as a door/window contact not my desired smoke alarm.  Therefore it would only activate the Ring Security during its Armed modes and not when the Ring is disarmed as a Smoke Alarm would do. 

So I am now back to using the Ring Smoke Listener to be located next to the Omni Pro alarm speaker to trigger the Ring system when its speaker sounds off for a fire or burglar alarm.

Zwave + with the Ring Base Station must have some method of differentiating an open/close contact from a smoke alarm trigger?  I had hoped that it would be during the set up that the trigger would activate the security during all modes like a panic button would?

The Ring device setups are very easy and user friendly and function at over 200 feet distances....  Wish there was also a way to integrate the OP Zwave with the Ring Zwave but that would be asking way too much.

chasers03 said:
Wish there was also a way to integrate the OP Zwave with the Ring Zwave but that would be asking way too much.

As to that, I believe the RUC-01 from Web Mountain will do that (dual serial interfaces can act as a protocol bridge), although I might consider Omni RS232 serial to Ring Z-wave since you insist.

On further testing the non ring Zwave Ecolink Door/Window Sensor - DWZWAVE2.5-ECO
contact will not activate the Ring Security no matter the mode of security.  So it is back to the drawing board.  Thanks Star for your ideas which I will pursue. 

Back