Kwikset Lock with OmniPro II - Zwave or Zigbee?

Not to keep the OT rant going, but have you heard of this device? I just discovered it recently - if compatible with your meter, it could help.
I looked into that before. It's actually a interface for older wireless meters that pre-date the Smart Meters. It doesn't use Zigbee.

OK I used PC Access to program in the lock, and that worked, BUT, the ZIM has it labled as "Lock 1" and I don't see how to change that. This isn't the name I used in PC Access. Why can't the panel set the same name in the ZIM? It seems like HAI did a poor job at integrating the ZIM and to panel together.

Having trouble with range on my two kwickset zigbee locks, for the interior and exterior garage doors. Interiror works great however, no joy on the exterior door. Does anyone know if the centralite azela switches act as routers and can help extend the kwickset signal back to the ZiM.

OK I used PC Access to program in the lock, and that worked, BUT, the ZIM has it labled as "Lock 1" and I don't see how to change that. This isn't the name I used in PC Access. Why can't the panel set the same name in the ZIM? It seems like HAI did a poor job at integrating the ZIM and to panel together.

Did you learn it in via PC Accesss or just copied the network address from the ZIM to PC Access? If you learned it in via PC Access while having a name defined, the ZIM should automatically pick up the name.

Any 120V powered Zigbee device should act as a router.
I use these, they work good.
http://www.simplehom..._Range_Extender

Technically a 120V device does not have to be a router (manufactorer's choice), but I am not aware of any to date this is not a router.
24V devices (Thermostats) can be a routers also. HAI's RC-1000 & RC-2000 are routers.

General rule of thumb is that if the device is not exclusively powered by batteries, it is most likely a router.

Ryan

Ryan:

Are the ranges that you are seeing between the ZIM and the Zigbee thermostats better than the range between the ZIM and the Kwikset locks, or about the same? I know the locks use the low-power radio, do the thermostats use the high-power radio?

Ryan:

Are the ranges that you are seeing between the ZIM and the Zigbee thermostats better than the range between the ZIM and the Kwikset locks, or about the same? I know the locks use the low-power radio, do the thermostats use the high-power radio?

Yes the Thermostat uses a high powered radio and should get about the same range as our 5, 15, and 30A LCM's. The range issue with the lock is unfortunately with the low power nature of a battery powered device. Its transmit strength is low, so although it could hear the ZIM, it needs a little help getting back to the ZIM.

Ryan

I'm leaning towards the ZigBee lock as well. I like that the ZIM is powered by the HAI panel. In the event of a power outage the lock can still communicate. With Z-Wave unless the plug in module is on a UPS it is not going to work.

What has me hesitating is the poor battery life I keep reading about. It looks like the batteries last only a few months. If the batteries die and I am out on a walk with the dog I will be locked out. If I have to take a key with me anyway then buying a $300 lock seems wasteful.

What has me hesitating is the poor battery life I keep reading about. It looks like the batteries last only a few months. If the batteries die and I am out on a walk with the dog I will be locked out. If I have to take a key with me anyway then buying a $300 lock seems wasteful.
The lock batteries don't die that fast. Yes, they may only last a few months (about 3-4 for me), but you'll have plenty of notice as they start to get low. My door auto re-locks after shutting it and I usually run up to a week after the lock starts beeping at me saying the batteries are low. That's with locking/unlocking at least 8-10 times a day. Believe me, you'll have plenty of notice.

I too have my lock (Kwikset) locking after 5 minutes and get around 3 months battery life.
The lock flashes red once the battery gets low giving you plenty of notice so I wouldn't be too worried about getting locked out due to no battery

I too have my lock (Kwikset) locking after 5 minutes and get around 3 months battery life.
The lock flashes red once the battery gets low giving you plenty of notice so I wouldn't be too worried about getting locked out due to no battery

I'm integrated with Elk, but I assume you can do the same with HAI programming.... I wrote a rule that does a battery status check once a week. If it returns a 'good battery' status, then I do nothing... but if it returns a 'low battery' status it outputs text to my keypads which stays there until cleared by a user.

I have to say, the battery life from the Zigbee Kwikset locks is very very good. The range from these low-power Zigbee radios isn't great but in return you get great battery life. The rest really depends on how much you are locking and unlocking them. I have mine auto-lock after an hour or two, but if it actually does this in my house once a day, its a lot.

Don't forget when evaluating battery life to keep in mind of the type of batteries you are putting in. There has been many studies done comparing name brand batteries to generic version. I have seen some studies reporting the name brand last 2x-3x longer than the cheap generic versions. Although I have not specifically tested battery life per battery brand myself, I would imagine that the Energizer Lithium batteries would work the best since this lock is short high current burst. These cost more than the generic alkaline battery but if the annoyance of replacing batteries outweighs the cost, these batteries may give you some extra time.

Mine has being used at least 4x a day... My wife locks the door when she leaves (not sure why other than habit, b/c I'm usually 15-20 min behind her), then I do. We have someone let our dog out in the afternoon (another unlock + lock)... Then it's used again when we return home.

I came upon this old posting which was most helpful in allowing me to connect my Kwikset zigbee lock to my OmniPro2, however, I am having problems with the wireless range. The ZIM was not finding the door lock so I disconnected from the door and took to the ZIM (about 15 feet through a concrete wall) and it connected but with only a 18% signal strength. I should point out I have a Omnistat2 RC1000 connected about 15 feet further from the ZIM through the same concrete wall and it shows 100% signal strength. When I took the lock back to the door it dropped to 0% signal strength and the OP2 was unable to find the device. I've confirmed I have all new batteries in the Kwikset lock.

I understand the battery powered Kwikset was going to have a reduced range but it should be able to go 15 feet even if through a concrete wall. I've seen posting about the RC1000 acting as a router/repeater but am not sure if I need to do anything to accomplish this. The RC1000 is only 15 feet away from the Kwikset lock with no obstructions.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Back