Kwikset Lock with OmniPro II - Zwave or Zigbee?

Range can be pretty short. Also, on battery operation, sometimes just the time to control something can get longer. I'd add one of these:
http://smartenit.com/product/zbre/

These devices not only increase range, but also hold and forward data from the lock when they are "sleeping." You would think the HAI ZIM would do that, but it doesn't seem to. Any other 120V powered Zigbee devices act as a repeater as well.

ano said:
Range can be pretty short. Also, on battery operation, sometimes just the time to control something can get longer. I'd add one of these:
http://smartenit.com/product/zbre/

These devices not only increase range, but also hold and forward data from the lock when they are "sleeping." You would think the HAI ZIM would do that, but it doesn't seem to. Any other 120V powered Zigbee devices act as a repeater as well.
Thanks for the info but I ended up moving the ZIM to the other side of the concrete wall to increase range. Unfortunately that didn't fix the problem. I called the Kwikset support line and was informed that the zig bee version I had was only good on the Control4 system. Note that there was nothing to indicate this fact on the vendor website or the Kwikset box/instructions. He is sending me a new lock which would work with HAI.

I'm posting this to share in case others have the same problem. I thought Zigbee was a standard protocol, is the implementation with the Control4 different? Why Kwikset doesn't include this information on the box or instructions is beyond me.

wdeertz said:
Thanks for the info but I ended up moving the ZIM to the other side of the concrete wall to increase range. Unfortunately that didn't fix the problem. I called the Kwikset support line and was informed that the zig bee version I had was only good on the Control4 system. Note that there was nothing to indicate this fact on the vendor website or the Kwikset box/instructions. He is sending me a new lock which would work with HAI.

I'm posting this to share in case others have the same problem. I thought Zigbee was a standard protocol, is the implementation with the Control4 different? Why Kwikset doesn't include this information on the box or instructions is beyond me.

Hmmmm.... Zigbee is not a protocol, it is an IEEE standard, but within Zigbee are several standards created by the Zigbee Alliance. The important one to us is the Zigbee Home Automation standard, which IS standized. HAI supports it, as does the Kwikset locks that you can purchase. Control4 created its own profile because the Home Automation profile didn't exist at the time, but the Home Automation profile was created from the Control4 standard. So today, they both should be the same.

These locks have very short range, and the HAI ZIM design isn't the best, which causes the range problems.

Let us know if your "non-Control4" locks "fix" the problem.

wdeertz said:

Hi, in 2016 I put in 2 Smartcode 10's by Weiser which is Canadian Kwikset.  I had to leave one lock off the Omni II w/ ZIM because once enrolled the batteries on door 2 died immediately.  I revisited this and checked the lock signal and it is 100%, I am going to try an outlet as a repeater but Kwikset/Weiser haven't been much help.  Did you ever have any success?  Or did you switch to something else?  I am hoping you can share some details and hopefully I can enroll lock 2.  Thanks very much,

mgeorge99 said:
Hi, in 2016 I put in 2 Smartcode 10's by Weiser which is Canadian Kwikset.  I had to leave one lock off the Omni II w/ ZIM because once enrolled the batteries on door 2 died immediately.  I revisited this and checked the lock signal and it is 100%, I am going to try an outlet as a repeater but Kwikset/Weiser haven't been much help.  Did you ever have any success?  Or did you switch to something else?  I am hoping you can share some details and hopefully I can enroll lock 2.  Thanks very much,
Yale Zigbee locks tend to work much better than Kwikset Zigbee locks but they do cost more also.

Back