Large LP Gas Tank Fuel Monitor via Transducer

Correct Lou. I found an out of the box solution that included the electronics that 'measured' the gauge and it was expensive for the DIY type ($600 or so). Note, this was a work application and actually worked out very well for our needs.

I'm not sure if a vendor will actually sell 'just' the gauge.

In Summary, the above installation is NOT SAFE AT ALL.

Actually, Mick, you're dead wrong. You didn't bother to ask what was in place at the tanks, what level of intrinsically safe meter was used or how it was cabled before you posted your opinion in such strong terms. The meters used were sealed, intrinsically safe models designed for hazardous gas installations and all safety precautions were followed to a T. Thanks for your input, though.

Just to pick up on this again

Ou are right, I based my comments on what was written. I am still concerned as you listed in fair details how it was done, but seem to be missing one of the most omporttant components - the I.S Barrier.

Do you have an IS Barrier installed?
Do you have the calculations for the I.S Systems?
Do you have the certificates issued by the test houses for both the barrier and the transmitter?
Have you classified the area that the transmitter was installed in (zone, temperature etc.)

SO what I am trying to get at here - and not just for you is that there is more to putting in an I.S. transmitter than just finding one and isntalling it as per the manufacturers instructions - there is also other devices required (unless you buy it as a system, where the barrier, cable and transmitter are all certified as one unit).

Still Concerned

Mick

Back