Latest XEP firmware version?

Quixote_1

Hi,
Can someone please tell me what the latest firmware for the XEP is?
My XEP crapped out on me yet again last night and gave me a scare. It's the second or third time that it just stopped working inexplicably, and each time the issue was resolved seemingly on it's own (after trying every possible solution) the day after the problem arose.
I believe that the catalyst to the problem was that I set up a wireless ethernet bridge with a new router that I flashed to Tomato and connected a few things up to it in the basement. The Elk, my ISY and NAS drive all functioned perfectly initially. Suddenly, the next day, ElkDroid started reporting that there was "no route to host". I called up my browser and found that navigating to the Elk's webserver page was not loading. During the next several hours I found that it would load sporadically at best, never letting me log in. I would receive the a message stating that the control was busy or did not accept my login. Using Elk-RP I sometimes found the XEP, sometimes didn't. During this time, the ISY and NAS still functioned perfectly.
I had tried forcing the XEP to dynamic mode and then back to static a number of times, detaching, cleaning and re-attaching the serial cable as well as replacing the network cable. Nothing worked... until this evening. As suddenly as it stopped working, it was back. Very weird stuff.

This is definitely a bug and I'm hoping that there is new firmware available that deals with the XEP's unreliability and unpredictable behavior.
My XEP is version 1.0, current boot version 1.2.0 and firmware is 1.3.10. My M1G is version .13, boot version 3.3.2, firmware 5.1.4.

I can't remember my password to get onto the new Elk site and even though when I hit "forgot password", enter my email and the site says that it has emailed me my password, I never receive it. I also checked my spam folder, just to be sure.

Thanks.

Well, I just received my email with log in details hours after I requested it, but the password will not work on the new site (where I made my password request).
This is starting to get on my nerves.

Latest firmware is 1.3.24.

When you're trying to login, did you choose Professionals or M1 Owners? M1 Owners has all the downloads.

Kevin

Latest firmware is 1.3.24.

When you're trying to login, did you choose Professionals or M1 Owners? M1 Owners has all the downloads.

Kevin

Thanks. I tried "M1 Owners". I've sent an email to Elk to see if they can fix the problem. Looks like I'm just going to have to be patient.

I've updated my M1G to 5.2.6 and my XEP to 1.3.25 after a friend forwarded his firmware to me.
Still having a couple of issues with connecting with third-party software.

Thanks. I tried "M1 Owners". I've sent an email to Elk to see if they can fix the problem. Looks like I'm just going to have to be patient.

I've updated my M1G to 5.2.6 and my XEP to 1.3.25 after a friend forwarded his firmware to me.
Still having a couple of issues with connecting with third-party software.

If I remember correctly there is a manual process in the creation of ones account. I think I received two or three emails until I had access.

While I've only had my system for around 2 months now, I can say that I've never had an issue with my XEP.
However, being in IT, the first thing I'd be looking at is that wireless bridge of yours. Since you have multiples why not try switching them around and see if the problem is related to one particular bridge or perhaps the location of the Elk compared to the ISY and NAS.

While I've only had my system for around 2 months now, I can say that I've never had an issue with my XEP.
However, being in IT, the first thing I'd be looking at is that wireless bridge of yours. Since you have multiples why not try switching them around and see if the problem is related to one particular bridge or perhaps the location of the Elk compared to the ISY and NAS.

The reason I have it on the bridge is because I have the Elk, ISY and NAS in the basement and no cat5 running down there. The modem and main router are up two floors. Seeing as the ISY and NAS were accessible through the whole ordeal, coupled with the fact that I had been using everything problem free for a couple of days before it stopped working makes me question the possibility of the bridge being the problem. I could understand why you would be suspicious of that link in the chain, though.

Maybe you can help me out with setting up my router so that I can access the Elk from outside of my LAN and I can go from there. The strange part is that I can access it from my laptop which is logged onto the main router by navigating to the LAN address (192.168.0.251), I log in and can arm and disarm the system and activate tasks.
I have set up a virtual server on the main router for it's secure port, but no one can access it through my IP address. I also can no longer log in with ElkDroid from my phone while logged onto my wifi network.

More weirdness -- I can now log on with ElkDroid and trigger tasks, but not arm or disarm the system. :wacko:

I wasn't telling you not to use the bridge as I'm sure you wouldn't be using one if you had a choice...nobody installs one for fun! What I was saying was to look at the bridge as the reason for your problems. What that means is to troubleshoot from that point. Like I already said in my post, switch them and even the patch cables around. That will show you if the problem is with the bridge or the node. If the results are the same then go from there and see if there is any communication problem with the location of the bridge connected to the Elk and so on. My point was to start with the most tempermental link in the chain...your bridge.

As far as ports go...well, I don't think you could get the keypad by using the secure port. I believe that is for 3rd party apps and ElkRM only. I know you could just use 80. Instead I have a custom firmware router that I SSH into with a key/password combination. From there I just enter my Elk's local static IP. Make sure you are accessing your network using the external IP...not anything that starts with 192.168.x.x. A simple way to find it out without going into your router/modem is to go to www.whatismyip.com.

I wasn't telling you not to use the bridge as I'm sure you wouldn't be using one if you had a choice...nobody installs one for fun! What I was saying was to look at the bridge as the reason for your problems. What that means is to troubleshoot from that point. Like I already said in my post, switch them and even the patch cables around. That will show you if the problem is with the bridge or the node. If the results are the same then go from there and see if there is any communication problem with the location of the bridge connected to the Elk and so on. My point was to start with the most tempermental link in the chain...your bridge.

As far as ports go...well, I don't think you could get the keypad by using the secure port. I believe that is for 3rd party apps and ElkRM only. I know you could just use 80. Instead I have a custom firmware router that I SSH into with a key/password combination. From there I just enter my Elk's local static IP. Make sure you are accessing your network using the external IP...not anything that starts with 192.168.x.x. A simple way to find it out without going into your router/modem is to go to www.whatismyip.com.

Sorry, I just meant to say that it won't be easy to troubleshoot since I have no way of bringing my Elk upstairs to a wired connection. The bridge is wireless. I guess I can try switching some connections around, but the router is practically new. I'll try poking around some more and see if I stumble across anything.
I am using a Netgear WNR3500U/v2, flashed to Tomato 1.28 (beta). I guess seeing as it's beta software there could be all sorts of problems. This is the first time I have had any sort of trouble whatsoever, though. Aside from this little bump in the road, everything has been rock-solid.

Why not just start by swapping the bridges around like I suggested?
Also, you could hit up Monoprice and buy a patch cable to run from the basement temporarily to test further. I made myself a 200' patch cable for just these types of issues.

Why not just start by swapping the bridges around like I suggested?
Also, you could hit up Monoprice and buy a patch cable to run from the basement temporarily to test further. I made myself a 200' patch cable for just these types of issues.
It's a bit complicated, but I can't move the other router around because it's not mine, though I have full admin access for the settings. They are very uptight about that sort of thing. I guess I could run a patch cable, but before I do that, would a ping time of 2ms, TTL 60 from the upstairs router to 192.168.0.251 (my Elk on the other bridge router) not indicate that the connection is perfectly healthy in that regard?

Three observations:
  1. Connection persistance and recoverability are built into the software/device... meaning if your bridge is sketchy at times, some devices may be programmed better to handle that - sense a change in state or connectivity, and reconnect on their own - and they may do it better than the XEP. I'm not sure how well the XEP adapts to changing conditions.
  2. The XEP is known to have reliability issues; they seem to affect different people in different ways. In my case I've only had a handful of problems and they've resolved themselves - for others they've been more severe. At one point Spanky posted some great information on how have the M1 supervise the XEP and if it loses comm, to cycle power to it using a relay off the M1 - a pretty cool fix.
  3. I 3rd the long patch cable at least for a few days... it may not be definitive, but it could lead you closer to a pattern.

Back