Learned something new today

pete_c said:
It was about a year ago one early Sunday morning here that the plastic drain tube decided to leak on the washing machine.  Taking it all apart I did notice that while the design was good and the plastic was cheap.

Yup... went through that too with this washer! The funny thing is the tube split length-wise - not along a seam or where you'd think horizontally across one of the corrugations.

And Pete...
Since you mention cars. My wife's rear brakes went out after only 10k since they were replaced. Thinking about it I figured the caliper was stuck so I called around and got price quotes of around $900. No way I was paying that! So... $200 for a pair of calipers, rotors and pads (got a great deal!) I did it myself. Only for it to once again last 10k miles! My suspicion then lied with the flex hose so I bought a replacement and new pads then decided I did not want to be bothered any more and the family wants me with them and not fixing cars on the weekend. So for a small fee I paid to have that done and enjoyed my weekend.

Everyone was happy... especially the wife  :)

I've found that if it's an appliance that my wife cares about (most things in kitchen, main HVAC), I call the repairman pronto. If it's something I care about, I am free to do as I please, including tinkering. Of course, that narrows it down to the pellet stoves, the kegerator, and the home automation equipment.

Yes; here leave the kitchen appliances alone. 

That said we (she) did replace all of the contractor installed appliances after first 5 years.  Upgrading the appliances didn't matter here as the quality build of the upgraded appliances were actually worse than what was initially installed. 

IE: in the old house for example the dishwasher appliance was a Kitchen Aid of yesteryear and still ran fine after 30 years of use and regular maintenance.  It is the same with the old washer and dryer being a Maytag of yesteryear and lasting for some 20 years in the old house  The new stuff basically has a life span of 3 years and I am guessing it is expected just to be replaced or just have it repaired for a large percentage of the value of said appliance which truly is mickey mouse.  I have noticed too over the years using commercial style appliances (not as pretty though) are still mostly built for use rather than looking nice.  IE: If you spend 2-3K on a new deluxe for home refrigerator it shouldn't start to fail within 3 years.  I used a commercial sink in the garage here a few years ago.  I did pay a bit more for it.  That said it is not pretty but it is very functional.

We still get the paper version here of Consumer reports (over 30 years now) and do look and read reviews of whatever it is that the company is reviewing.

I think you are spotting a trend, Pete. Maybe 15 years ago we redid a small home using the better grade of appliances from good ol' Sears. Quality, but nothing fancy. The couple to whom we sold that house became good friends, and most of those appliances are still going strong, or at least appeared to be last time I noticed. The house we purchased and kept for about six years had very high end Appliances, and I think everything there required replacement or repair at some point while we owned it. We redid the kitchen in the present house about three years ago with a high end European brand, and I hate them. You ever hear of a microwave that won't stop beeping after the stupid timer goes off, until you go turn it off? I can show you one. And I just love that dishwasher that runs so long I need to go shave again before the thing's done.

Bottom line: i've told the boss that the next time we replace appliances, I want a good old fashioned American appliance if I can find it, with little more than on and off. I like my automated toys, but I want my appliances to just work.

The refrigerator is repaired (I hope) and very reasonably priced. I was charged $189 for the part which is less than I had found it online and $69 labor. I'm so glad that I decided to call the guy. He was fast, confident and a nice guy. If anyone in my area needs an appliance repairman I would be glad to PM his contact info. I highly recommend him.

Mike.

Most interesting morning here. 

Helping an automation peer on the other side of the planet via the internet. 

Bitten by the automation bug I guess.

His day job is working for his folks that have an appliance manufacturing company way over der...

That whole washer, dryer, hot water heaters, microwaves, refrigerators et al type of stuff much of the stuff sold in the EU. 

The conversation though was all about home automation.  And me I guess kept stating it is all plug n play these days...

Did notice that what I take for granted here tinkering is really not that easy on the other side of the planet..well it is much different.

Well... thanks for jinxing me!!!

2 days ago I got a text from my wife telling me the dryer isn't working. 2 days and 2 parts later it's back in business for $13.
Had to replace the thermal fuse and gas solenoids.

Back