Looking for information

jasonrusso

Hello all!! I've been using Insteon and X10 (since dumped X10) for about 7 years now. I recently bought a new house and I finally got around to installing a security system. Since I'm into HA I opted for a Elk M1 gold and an ISY 994i. The Elk is on the network with the MX1EP and I'm using all 2-way wireless sensors. I installed 4 Foscam cameras around the house (3 inside one outside) and I monotor it all remotely using Mobilnc Pro. I have everything up and running and that was the original goal. Now that it all works I'm ready to dig deeper into the system. I've linked the ISY and Elk (I assume) because I get Elk status updates on the ISY and I can arm/disarm the Elk from the ISY console. 

Now, I've written a couple programs on the ISY to turn my light on and off at sunset/sunrise and I've written one rule in the Elk to open my garage door with the transmitter but I want to learn more. Where can I go to get beginner tutorials on the Elk/ISY intergration? Where can I learn how to write more advanced rules in ElkRP2?  I watched a 1:30 beginner video today on the Elk and it was pretty good. Most of it was the install which is already done but I got some good tips on RP2. I really want to learn the Elk/ISY stuff. I don't know what should be done in the ISY and what should be done in the Elk!

For example: I programmed button 4 on the Elk remote to open my Insteon I/O garage door. This can be done by making the remote trigger an Elk output, then having the ISY triggerr the I/O when the Elk output is turned "on." OR, I can import the Insteon devices into the Elk and using them as "lighting controllers."  Trust me, both ways work, lol. Which is better?

I'm pretty tech savy and programming is fun for me but I am a bit overwhelmed here. I'm the shop foreman at an Audi dealership and I have a Electronic Engineering degree, but most of the info I find assumes I already know the basics of this stuff. Where can I learn the basics?

Elk has their own YouTube channel with a lot of information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JicJqvLXDuI&list=PL4pbqe8npsUP11VdtXKjGqBwgeSTVY2rg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP7E3Lt8yFQ&list=PL4pbqe8npsUP11VdtXKjGqBwgeSTVY2rg

Ok, I saw that one.  I don't think that's it. It was supposed to be an Elk video. That one is more like a UD video.

Back