Low priced TV's

I never took the Panasonic TV apart to look for myself but I read from more than one source on the net back when I bought them that they had Pioneer display panels in them.

Mike.

My brother in law had a Panasonic Plasma for more than 10 years.  He did update it to a larger LCD TV.  Pansonic was still working fine and he gave it to his daughter.

Here got a deal on Toshiba LCD TV's via Crutchfield many many years ago (~2004?). 

Initially just purchased one 42" Toshiba...then talking to the sales person there purchased a couple of smaller Toshiba LCD TVs at the time 50% off.  Excellent delivery and installation by the Crutchfield folks at the time.

Around the time that Circuit City was closing purchased another Toshiba LCD 42" TV.

These Toshiba TV's all still work fine today and just updated the 42" Toshiba last year for a 55" el cheapo LCD TV with Roku built in which is configured mostly in the off mode except that it manages the TV. 

All of the above and really do not watch too much television here.

I've got a 58" Panasonic Plasma that is 12 years old and a 50" that is going on 15 and they are both still incredible 1080p displays.  I also have a 60" Samsung LCD in the master bedroom, and while it is a great TV, it still doesn't give the image quality and viewing angle of the plasmas.  I've never had one issue with the plasmas (and to be fair, no issue with the Samsung 60" either).

I was also given a dead Samsung 42" LCD that at the time was only about 4 years old.  I fixed it with $2 of caps in the power supply and now have it hanging in the garage.  Did that repair about 3 years ago and it's still going strong.

I think many new TV's are just a crap shoot.  Decent quality and may last forever or you may get a couple years out of it before it dies.  Since Panasonic no longer has Plasmas, my preference now are for the Samsung LCD's.

Done the $2 cap kit more than once in different TVs.  

The downside to the Samsung units is they're making it difficult to use them just as a dumb TV.  I had to resort to putting a switch in-line with one we have over the treadmill.  It would keep turning itself on when anything else connected to it powered up or changed video state.  Like a streaming box rebooting, a chromecast losing it's wifi or the AVR being used for audio-only.  No option in the settings to tell it to just STAY OFF until deliberately powered up.  

Back