M1 and aprilaire

dgaulin

Hey guys I'm having trouble with my Elk M1 and my aprilaire 8870. I got it all hooked up correctly but my Elk-M1 virtual keypad and my Elk-RM will not control it. When I checked it out on the Elk keypad under Menu 1 (View/Control Automation Functions), it shows thermostat 1 as not enabled. When I log on to the virtual keypad using my web browser, the thermostat shows up but there is an error that says "unit not responding".

Hey guys I'm having trouble with my Elk M1 and my aprilaire 8870. I got it all hooked up correctly but my Elk-M1 virtual keypad and my Elk-RM will not control it. When I checked it out on the Elk keypad under Menu 1 (View/Control Automation Functions), it shows thermostat 1 as not enabled. When I log on to the virtual keypad using my web browser, the thermostat shows up but there is an error that says "unit not responding".

Do you know if protocol adapter is configured properly? Have you tried connecting to it directly with a computer and then using hyperterminal or minicom to talk to the 8870's? (Use 9600/8/N/1)

What do you see when you type: SN T?

Do you know if protocol adapter is configured properly? Have you tried connecting to it directly with a computer and then using hyperterminal or minicom to talk to the 8870's? (Use 9600/8/N/1)

What do you see when you type: SN T?

Yeah, I was thinking it might be the protocol adapter. I took the cable apart to make sure that was okay, so I guess my next step is what you suggested. Thanks for the input.

This may not help but -

I read the installation manual for the Elk. the Aprilaire distribution panel, protocol adapter, and 8870 a couple times each before starting, then dove in. Worked the first time around for all 4 stats in my house. Seems pretty bulletproof a year or so later.

This may not help but -

I read the installation manual for the Elk. the Aprilaire distribution panel, protocol adapter, and 8870 a couple times each before starting, then dove in. Worked the first time around for all 4 stats in my house. Seems pretty bulletproof a year or so later.

Yeah,
I'm not sure if maybe I have a problem with the protocol adapter I purchased. I bought it used, so that may be the problem. It lights up like it is supposed to, but the Elk just isn't recognizing it. Like everything else in this business, I'll figure it out, but with a bit of frustration. It is nice though when everything works out right the first time isn't it!

I'm not sure if maybe I have a problem with the protocol adapter I purchased. I bought it used, so that may be the problem. It lights up like it is supposed to, but the Elk just isn't recognizing it. Like everything else in this business, I'll figure it out, but with a bit of frustration. It is nice though when everything works out right the first time isn't it!

Did you buy the 8870's used too? The reason I asked you to show the results of the 'SN T?' command was twofold. First, to answer the obvious is it working question, but second, to check how the 8870's are addressed and if they have a name. The protocol supports naming the 8870's, but if they are named, the Elk will ignore them.

When I took a lightning hit, the 8811 looked by all outwards appearances fine, but replacing it solved the problems I was having.

Did you buy the 8870's used too? The reason I asked you to show the results of the 'SN T?' command was twofold. First, to answer the obvious is it working question, but second, to check how the 8870's are addressed and if they have a name. The protocol supports naming the 8870's, but if they are named, the Elk will ignore them.

No, I purchased the 8870's new. I normally purchase everything new, but I saw the used 8811 for a good deal on ebay.

Back