My work so far: Elk M1 system

I continue to work on my system, and the pictures are updated. Is it ever done?

As I progress, I find that I need another input expansion board--the present 32 zones are not enough when most everything is home run, and my system's 12 VDC demands may be more than what the M1 can provide. I think I can rearrange the Elk's enclosure slightly to accommodate another input board, extra battery, and charger. Plus, I wish that I had known more about smoke detectors when the house was built. I would have used smoke detectors integrated with the Elk rather than a network of conventional ionization/photoelectric Kidde detectors. I am debating about how to connect these conventional smoke detectors to the panel. A GE 350CX might be appropriate, assuming it can work with the Kidde detectors.

Did I mention that I want to put another keypad at the top of the stairs going down to the walk-out basement. Then the basement will be a separate area in the M1's programming. As I said, it is never really over.

Hey CORT
I sure would love to see and learn from your system. My project is still in the planning mode. The shell of my new house is complete, the exterior finished and inside simply studs. Actually the ideal situation to be in to do the HA wiring and security set-up. And yet, I don't know so many things, or I should say, I am still so uncertain about many things. Anyway, I understand what you were saying about your smoke detector challenges. What brand or model would you recommend to me since I haven't installed any detectors yet and the walls are wide open?
I appreciate your great expertese.

Thanks again, Hans

HI Cort,

Your project is looking very nice there. You have done a great job documenting your work and it is much appreciated. I'm learning a lot from your project and it helps me while I plan my HA project on my new build as well.

Keep up the good work.

Jack

Take 2:

The can that was once located in the attic has been relocated. One conduit connects the data and power cables to the main can, and another conduit connects to the attic where Uplink accessory antenna is located. As a side note, I hate smurf tube. Anyone else get clocked in the head by a coil of smurf tube?

Elkcanincloset.JPG

Elkcanincloset2.JPG

Cort, can you tell me what utility boxes you have purchased for all the peripherals in your house. They look good and sufficient.

Thanks,
Hans

Here is a preview of the wall mount 19" rack that I am going to install in the space. It is a relatively inexpensive Chinese made unit that I picked up off Ebay with the now expired Live.com 30% rebate. I still have to mud and tape the wall before installing the rack, and there is a bit more wiring to be done in the rack. The pictures don't show the back piece of the rack that adds another 3-4" of depth. I've put in a blank 2u piece to allow for future expansion of another Russound amp for more audio zones someday. Only the network gear will plug into the UPS. The audio equipment plugs into the separately powered Tripplite power strip.

WallRack1.JPG

WallRack2.JPG

WallRack3.JPG

Cort, this looks simply phenomenal! I commend you not only on getting things working but also to make the system look georgeous.

Can you tell me would interface module you are applying to interface the audio system interface with Elk?

Kind regards, Hans

Do you know what smoke detectors would work best with the Elk system?
Regards, Hans

What brand or model would you recommend to me since I haven't installed any detectors yet and the walls are wide open?

Thanks again, Hans

I am not the authority for this. Others might have better advice. My dream system would have separate chains of LV smoke detectors for different zones of the house all connected to the main panel. I would investigate models from System Sensor company as listed on page 6 of the M1 installation manual. I might branch out a bit and get something with an internal sounder. Otherwise each protected room ("sleeping chamber")will need a speaker/siren driven by the system. Look into reversing modules for each chain if using internal sounders. This gets a little complicated. Another option is to just usea a chain of the GE350CX smoke detectors wired in the conventional method but zoned with separate LV wires for M1 integration. This topic is discussed in detail on other threads. If you are considering varying from any norm, check with your local authority having jurisdiction over inspection of your system. You might want to order a GE350CX smoke detector to experiment with how it is connected. Don't forget that a true fire rated system will have fire rated cable.

Can you tell me would interface module you are applying to interface the audio system interface with Elk?
Audio integration is still in its infancy. My audio equipment has RS232 control allowing me to use Elk's IP232. The Ekeypad pro iPhone interface will supposedly give more comprehensive control in the future.

Do you know what smoke detectors would work best with the Elk system?
Regards, Hans

What brand or model would you recommend to me since I haven't installed any detectors yet and the walls are wide open?

Thanks again, Hans

I am not the authority for this. Others might have better advice. My dream system would have separate chains of LV smoke detectors for different zones of the house all connected to the main panel. I would investigate models from System Sensor company as listed on page 6 of the M1 installation manual. I might branch out a bit and get something with an internal sounder. Otherwise each protected room ("sleeping chamber")will need a speaker/siren driven by the system. Look into reversing modules for each chain if using internal sounders. This gets a little complicated. Another option is to just usea a chain of the GE350CX smoke detectors wired in the conventional method but zoned with separate LV wires for M1 integration. This topic is discussed in detail on other threads. If you are considering varying from any norm, check with your local authority having jurisdiction over inspection of your system. You might want to order a GE350CX smoke detector to experiment with how it is connected. Don't forget that a true fire rated system will have fire rated cable.

Audio integration is still in its infancy. My audio equipment has RS232 control allowing me to use Elk's IP232. The Ekeypad pro iPhone interface will supposedly give more comprehensive control in the future.

Your Information is highly appreciated, many thanks. I now have a little to chew on that.

It's been almost a year, CORT, for this single page of this thread.

I really need more pics from you. :)

Nice work, Cort. I've missed your updates since Aug - glad I saw them today.

Now I know what I need to pull in my kitchen remodel, for the TV. :p And, I now know that Somfy motor sucks; won't use it in the ktichen remodel, nor in the MBR.

Any concerns about the sirens located outside, relatively exposed to the elements?

Hey cort, which of the two pins for the occupancy sensor connector you used for connecting the QS to the M1? OCC SIG, 24V, OCC COM?

Back