Need advice for wi-fi device

I need advice on how to accomplish this project. I have a shed about 300ft from my house(wi-fi router) in which I want to have some sensors and switches monitored or controlled thru wi-fi. I'm very familiar with the CAI webcontol board which would work great accept its wired and there's no wired ethernet in this shed. The shed also has no power but I plan to install a small solar panel, charge contoller and battery. The DC power part I can figure out but what's the best way to have a wi-fi monitored and controlled device? Someting I can assign a static LAN ip and has some cgi interface. Is there something I can plug a webcontrol board into to transmit and recieve wi-fi? Or is there something completely different that would work better?

Thanks.

For simple point-to-point wireless, you can usually get away with Ubiquiti gear pretty easily. Since you're only 300ft away, if you have a strong wifi signal at your house, then using a strong access point/bridge at the shed would be fine. Check out the Ubiquiti NanoStatino Loco M2 - it's a low powered all-in-one directional access point that can act as a bridge - you'd mount it on the outside of the shed and point it at the house and join the existing house wifi. If your existing house wifi isn't strong enough, then you'd need a matching one at the other end - but that's usually not a problem.

You'd then just plug the nanostation loco into the webcontrol board or into a switch if you need more wired connections.

The device normally runs off 24V but I'm pretty sure it'll do 12V as well (check the specs on ubnt.com). Here's a link to buy one. I know it's pretty low wattage - lots of people have solar setups to run this type of equipment.

That nanostation looks interesting and the datasheet says it will run on 12V. Do you have one? I couldn't find any set-up instructions on it. I want to verify it has encryption, static IP and Port configurable, and work with my current wireless router.

I guess the real question is what kind of sensors do you want to monitor and if you are using a panel like Elk or HAI. If you are I would look into the GE/ITI or HAI wireless sensor/transmitter options.

I set up a pair of the NanoStation Loco M5 units. They have worked perfectly since the install. They would also work for you needs. They are 5 Ghz though.

I guess the real question is what kind of sensors do you want to monitor and if you are using a panel like Elk or HAI. If you are I would look into the GE/ITI or HAI wireless sensor/transmitter options.

I'm going to monitor water pressure and a few NO/NC contact switches.

I have been able to use wireless-G router to make client bridge to connect two segement of network together. That works well. Somehow wireless-N is not as stable as wireless-G band. Wifi router like Buffalo is only $20 each at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...2017331&sr=1-42

$20.. good deal and has 4 ethernet ports. I looked but can't tell what the DC voltage is on this thing. Can I use it as a wireless bridge without changing anything on my current primary N wireless router? Also can't be outside and not sure what the range is.

The buffalo isn't a smart option... the short range omni antenna isn't going to be as optimized as the nanostation will be. Gatchel has used the 5Ghz version with success; 2.4Ghz is what I suggest for your situation - it'll have better penetration.

Back