New Elk M1 Install (Power planning help needed)

I guess another thing to think about, is supervising the aux supply.  That is why I'm leaning more towards the ELK-P212S to power my Uplink.  Although probably a bit overkill, at least it would report back to the control when there are battery problems, unlike some of the standard aux supplies that have no feedback...

It would be cool to fit that in the 14" enclosure, but I'm thinking there's too much stuff in there already, not to mention adding another SLA battery to the bottom...

Thoughts?

geogecko said:
I guess another thing to think about, is supervising the aux supply.  That is why I'm leaning more towards the ELK-P212S to power my Uplink.  Although probably a bit overkill, at least it would report back to the control when there are battery problems, unlike some of the standard aux supplies that have no feedback...

It would be cool to fit that in the 14" enclosure, but I'm thinking there's too much stuff in there already, not to mention adding another SLA battery to the bottom...

Thoughts?

It all depends on how much other stuff you have in the can with the M1.  I would probably place the P212S and battery in a separate enclosure, especially if you've got the 14" can housing the M1.

The supervised nature of the P212S is attractive.  But most Altronix power supplies have outputs that will indicate AC failure and low battery conditions and these can be connected back to the M1.  So it's not like you don't have any supervision of the aux supply.  The thing you don't get is the battery load test function that the P212S provides.

One other thing to think about is the size of the battery you have on the aux supply.  Make sure that it is large enough so that it can power its load for more time than it will take for the main battery on the M1 to run down.  Depending on the load, that may require a physically larger battery, like a 12Ah or larger, making it difficult or impossible to fit it in the same can as the M1.

Thanks for the advise RAL. 

Geo I am leaning towards the p212s as well now, just doing some power consumption worksheets of my own to see how I want to divide up the load!  I am actually going with a 40-50" main enclosure so not too worried about the space as that goes!

I'd get an altronix that has a LB and AC loss output over the 212S. The price difference isn't too much. The only real benefit of the 212S for most is the ability to have a bus controlled relay for reset purposes and not having to connect back to a zone on the panel for supervision. The load testing, while nice, doesn't replace normal testing or prudent replacement of batteries (I've been chasing some 5+ YO installs to replace their batteries though the M1 reports they're "fine")

2A is really small when you start considering getting the XEP off a wall wart and the 1A the M1 puts out.

All good points to consider. I will take a look at the Altronix supplies, as I was also interested in powering the XEP off a battery backed up supply.

So is 5 years the recommended replacement time of the SLA batteries, even if no problems are reported?

geogecko said:
All good points to consider. I will take a look at the Altronix supplies, as I was also interested in powering the XEP off a battery backed up supply. So is 5 years the recommended replacement time of the SLA batteries, even if no problems are reported?

Yes, after about 5 years, an SLA battery will degrade to the point where it has only about 70% of its original capacity.  The actual lifetime may be shorter, depending on the battery's shelf storage time before it was put into service, temperature, the number of discharge cycles, and the recharge rate.  In some cases, you might only get 3 years out of a battery.

It's good practice to change the battery out even if it still appears to be fine.  You don't want to discover that it can't hold up when you really need it during a power failure.

Ok so reviewing all of Altronix offerings and your recommendations I have narrowed down my choices to the AL400/600 series or the EflowN4/6 series which are both advertised to have zero voltage drop.  As best I can tell the main difference here is the Eflow series has a built in Low Battery Disconnect and a separate additional 1amp output that is non battery backed up (which I don't think I need.) So if I get the AL series I just need Altronix's LBD which is only about $10.00.  Does anyone have a recommendation or input between the two?

Another question is what are your opinions and the advantages/disadvantages of using Altronix's PTC power distribution boards vs Elks PD9's?

Thanks for your input!

I don't have any experience with the eFlow models, though they do look nice.  I have an AL400ULPD8 plus a low battery disconnect, which I am happy with.  I bought the AL400 on eBay in new condition for $40.  I rarely see eFlow models for sale on eBay.

I also have an Altronix PD8CB, which uses 2.5A PTCs vs the 250mA/400mA PTC outputs on the Elk PD9/PD9HC. Was able to buy the PD8CB for less than $20 on eBay.

Would be interesting to see if any eFlow units show up on eBay.  I'm tempted by the AL400, because it's cheap, but then need to buy the PTC module, and the LPD module for the battery.  The eFlow would be a complete off the shelf solution...but, with the AL400, a complete setup could be had for about $90 or so.  I also like these units over the ELK's that require an AC transformer.  I already had to install another outlet just to dedicate to the ELK, I wasn't looking forward to installing yet another, just so I have a nice place to put a transformer...

Thanks guys, I am thinking an AL400 or 600 now with the LBD.  Does any one have any further input on choosing between the ELK PD9 or the Altronix PD units? I don't see needing anything over the PD9HC's mA limits.

I think either the PD9HC or the Altronix would meet your needs.  From a technology point of view, there isn't much to them that would make one better than the other.   You can probably find an Altronix PD8CB on eBay for a slightly lower cost than the PD9HC.

Lol thanks DEL! I have have not abandoned this..... New house got a little delayed due to a leak during construction meh.... will post more here once I actually get going on the install!

Back