New Firmware 3.10A old comm/time problems back

RSW686,

Running coreserver now about 24 hours.  I did see one time sync of 5 seconds.  I adjusted with PCA from 35 to 30 on the clock adjustment.  I also saw one disconnect sometime overnight.

What is coreserver?

Is there a way for coreserver to change a flag / create a connect / disconnect / startup /shutdown message on the HAI OPII?

Updated firmware on my OmniPro2 to 3.11D this morning.

Configured firewall for the Omnitouch 5.7e's to be able to get to the camera server this morning.

CoreServer is just the name of the main class in the HAILogger program. I had used the framework from another service I wrote to speed development. The logging code includes a prefix, which I used the name of the class, to separate the log messages. I could change a flag on connect, but that doesn't mean I will be able to change it back on disconnect. I use the HAI C# SDK which wraps the connection and disconnection code.

pete_c said:
Watching the network tonight for about an hour I saw two broadcast storms.

I would look at the Wireshark log to see what device was sending the packet and what protocol the packet is for.

Thank-you rsw686.

I have to spend some more time and get some more captures with Wireshark (over a longer period of time).  

I could change a flag on connect, but that doesn't mean I will be able to change it back on disconnect.

I'm guessing there is nothing in the SDK or in the firmware of the HAI OPII panel that would just see if the network interface is up or down eh? 

I noticed when I had my network issue it would affect the serial connection and also cause it to disconnect concurrently when using the serial port to concurrently access the HAI OPII panel.  This though probably makes sense as to why I was seeing the disconnects (ambient temperature stuff from the Omnistat2's) on the serial Omnitouch consoles.

If your fix is working, I wouldn't touch it, but did you ever test if plugging the HAI panel into a switch (as opposed to a hub) fixes it?  I have a fairly large network with maybe 65 devices, and haven't had that problem.  But also I use switches and not hubs.  Both devices look the same, but a switch is smart and only forwards a packet of information to the ports that need it. A hub is dumb and shouts every packet to every port.  Switches do cost a bit more money than hubs, but if you have a larger network, you should be using switches.  If you do not have switches, changing to them can speed up your network.

In my case, I have used a variety of switches (no hubs) with the Omni Pro II panel and found that not all of the switches I tested work with the panel.  Even with the panel connected through switched ports I have had communications failures where the OPII IP connection has failed intermittently, then consistently.

If your fix is working

Here its working fine now.  Its all switches these days.  I actually looked for a hub to see if I could replicate the issue and found a couple from the 90's.

My issue though as documented here began gradually and was very random for a couple of years back on my network of multiple unmanaged switches.

From what I can see the issue happened with only switches for HAI users.  (probably unmanaged). 

Most folks that I know do not put managed switches on their home network and typically use the ports on their combo firewall router AP plus maybe another small unmanaged switch.  I don't really know how many pro installers or even if pro installers today install managed switches in their residential installations (maybe for the 10K home they do; but probably not the 5K or less home).

The "fix" of putting the HAI OPII on its own network behind a firewall has fixed my issues. 

Relating to this issue specfically It appears to be present with my unmanaged switches.  I did see a broadcast storm the other day.  

Paying attention somewhat I have seen that my xAP network (UDP broadcasts) of many hardware to xAP pieces is very chatty. (almost too chatty).  Aside from the HAI combo sensors everywhere I also have combo 1-wire sensors literally in every room of this home and outside in multiple locations.  IE: when looking at temps / humidity on the second floor I am looking at some 5 1-wire combo sensors plus one in the attic.  I have only two combo HAI sensors on the second floor.

I am streaming much video / audio these days but I do not think that is the issue.  IE: separate NAS boxes for video/audio streaming storage, MythTV/Squeezebox server with 5 Tuners, HDHomerun with 3 tuners and PlayOnTV/Tversity box and little Aopen DE's running XBMC these days all over the place plus up to 20 touchscreens that connect to the HAI panel (mothership), Homeseer (mothership), ZM (mothership) plus now some 8 IP cameras ....funny thing is that I have satellite, OTA and cable TV and do not watch TV anyways (that is me though).

I ordered a new managed Gb switch anyways simply because I have not paid any attention (other than making my little subnet DNS / IP spreadsheet) to how large my network has become.  I did get rid of my managed cisco switch a couple of years ago to move towards smaller with similiar port capacity unmanaged Gb switches.  I have a "mini" sized 24 port Gb unmanaged switch inside of my Leviton 42" panel that appears to be working fine these days.  On the "server" rack some 30 feet away I have another 24 port Gb unmanaged switch.  In my home office I have 4 network runs to the basement going to the patch panel.  That said my desk has some 4 touchscreens that I play with so added another 8 port Gb switch (to play with).  I also added another small Gb switch just for the garage devices (some 8 today).  There are a few more "pockets" of Gb runs to Gb mini switches in the house today because there is never enough cable run. 

I am still in process of "building" my POE network and decided on using a midstream POE 24 port managed Tycon midstream injector (managed kind of switch).  I am not there though and still using multiple smaller POE switches (now have multiple vendor, multiple port et al small POE switches).  My goal here though is to have all of the IP cameras and touchscreens using POE switches.  The newest "experimental" touchscreens (that run Linux, Android and XP) are using POE power splitters and are doing well with these but do draw some up to 1.2 amps or so of power.

So the issue and the solution here for this specfic issue of the network disconnects, time sync and comm issues; "little engine that could" are all interelated and due the legacy network interface on the HAI Panel with a solution of a managed switch. 

That said I don't see the issue cropping up with a small home network on 1-2 unmanaged switches and some 10-20 devices on the network.

I found one problem device today.  Not paying attention cuz I do not watch TV.  HSHomerun Prime tuner was totally trashed for whatever reason and it was causing some network issues.

I'm wondering if anyone else did replicate this issue with their HAI to ethernet connectivity?

Here the issues were basic; IE: first time time sync, then the comm stuff related to the Omnistat ambient temperature and finally a network disconnect seemingly random then literally shutting off the network interface on the HAI panel. 

I initially thought it was a hardware device connectivity to the panel issue (even the grounding of the panel), then thought it was an Omnistat2 issue and finally thought it was related to the firmware.

Running Coreserver logging now for 3 days I am seeing a daily 5 second correction but do not know if that is ahead or behind such that I can adjust the HAI panel clock via PCA.

Noticed now too that the Omnitouch legacy serial to analog camera hub and Russound controls are much faster these days with almost instant response times.  IE: the video would take a few seconds to come up on the Omnitouch 5.7's and now is always there and quick.  Tested the Russound response times comparing it to a nearby Russound wall controller; both very quick these days.

RSW686,

I enabled the HAILogger program as a service.  That said I am trying to read the console and having a heck of a time. 

If I just enable HAI logger manually and try to redirect the console output it stops working with an error. 

Can you offer any suggestions?

EventType clr20r3, P1 hailogger.exe, P2 1.0.3.0, P3 50e9e103, P4 mscorlib, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 5040540e, P7 3451, P8 26d, P9 system.io.ioexception, P10 NIL.

Imports System.Diagnostics

Sub Main (ByVal Parm As Object)
           Dim Data As String
           Dim myprocess As New Process
                myprocess.StartInfo.FileName = "c:\hai\HAIlogger.exe"
                myprocess.StartInfo.Arguments = ""
                myprocess.StartInfo.UseShellExecute = False
                myprocess.StartInfo.CreateNoWindow = True
                myprocess.StartInfo.RedirectStandardInput = True
                myprocess.StartInfo.RedirectStandardOutput = True
                myprocess.StartInfo.RedirectStandardError = True
                myprocess.Start()
                Data = myprocess.StandardOutput.ReadToEnd
                Msgbox (Data)
end sub

The Windows service HAILoggerService.exe has no console output. It only logs to the text log file. The console application HAILogger.exe does write to the console. However I have never tried to capture the output with another program. What are you trying to do?

Thank-you RSW686

I am trying to capture the data with a script to see how fast I can see the updates of the Panel in a message box window comparing it to say snaplink running next to it. 

Here is the error with some more details:

QueueVer=1
UI LCID=1033
Date=6/1/2013
Time=9:45:53 AM
ReportSize=18727
Bytes=bytes
Kilobytes=KB
Megabytes=MB
MoreInfo=What data does this error report contain?
ErrorSubPath=Generic\clr20r3\hailogger.exe\1.0.3.0\50e9e103\mscorlib\2.0.0.0\5040540e\3451\26d\system.io.ioexception
Heap=mdmpmem.hdmp
Stage1URL=/StageOne/Generic/clr20r3/hailogger.exe/1.0.3.0/50e9e103/mscorlib/2.0.0.0/5040540e/3451/26d/system.io.ioexception.htm
Stage2URL=/dw/generictwo.asp?EventType=clr20r3&P1=hailogger.exe&P2=1.0.3.0&P3=50e9e103&P4=mscorlib&P5=2.0.0.0&P6=5040540e&P7=3451&P8=26d&P9=system.io.ioexception&Sig=NA
General_Reportee=Microsoft
BP0=clr20r3
BP1=hailogger.exe
BP2=1.0.3.0
BP3=50e9e103
BP4=mscorlib
BP5=2.0.0.0
BP6=5040540e
BP7=3451
BP8=26d
BP9=system.io.ioexception
BP10=NIL
CBP=11
DWVer0=11
DWVer1=0
DWVer2=8160
DWVer3=0
Details_Sig_Body=EventType : clr20r3     P1 : hailogger.exe     P2 : 1.0.3.0     P3 : 50e9e103
P4 : mscorlib     P5 : 2.0.0.0     P6 : 5040540e     P7 : 3451     P8 : 26d
P9 : system.io.ioexception    
QueueMode=268435458
EventID=5000
ReportingFlags=14
UIFlags=69
LoggingFlags=0
MiscFlags=0
EventLogSource=.NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
General_AppName=HAILogger
Final_Link=Prevent this problem in the future

Back