New Video Doorbell

Update 26th of September, 2019\

Doorbell is doing well now.  I ended up using a 24VAC / 40VA transformer for it.  Most of the users are using a 24VAC / 30VA transformer.  I went to the larger one to see if the Elk 930 would work with it.  (current sensing).  It did not.  I noticed that the draw of the doorbell would change all of the time so ended up using a reed switch inside of the doorbell to trigger the Elk 960 debounce board.  Might connect a 16VAC / 20 VA transformer that I also have here to see how it works.

Note here you can have everything you have (and more) with the Ring doorbell except for the monthly payments.  The phone apps are not as refined as the Ring phone apps.  The phone events are there to access via the cloud except that they are saved to your SD card.  It came with a 16Gb SD card and you can update it to a 128Gb SD card.  I can see and download all of the recordings via the Hikvision batch program.  You can also configure the device to save the recordings to an alway on home computer.

Next steps are updating the firmware such that I can:

1 - have two RTSP streams
2 - have ONVIF
3 - JPG capture

Note if I utilize ZM then I can do the JPG capture from the NVR.

I am using the HikVision batch tools configuration program and the Windows aspx configuration program running on Windows 2016 to program it.

This is what I see with the Hikvision batch configuration program (and see it with the generic el cheapo cameras and want to see with the Hikvision doorbell camera).

Note that this is my first venture in to wireless cameras. It is working well with the Ruckus WAP using the 2.4Ghz radio. It did not pair with the 5Ghz radio whatever I tried.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1246]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1247]

WAP configuration on the Hikvision Doorbell (levels above the Android configuration).

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1248]

Updated the firmware on the Hikvision doorbel in vivo and it saved the basics of networking which is great.

I now have two RTSP streams coming from the doorbell.

Main stream :

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1249]

Sub stream:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1250]

Now looking to get a JPG image from the substream for use with the OmniPro 2 panel.

Seeing that ONVIF works great now with updated firmware and I can do a JPG capture using ONVIF.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1251]

To capture a JPG just type: (you can set resolution via ONVIF).

hxxp://192.168.244.152/onvif/snapshot

This will allow me to utilize JPG snapshots with the OmniPro 2 video stuff.

This is now way at a different level than the Ring Doorbell offering many more options for free with no monthly charge.

Amazon should allow (they own Ring now) this stuff for free for Prime members instead of a monthly charge.

Got it working with the OmniPro 2 Omnitouch 5.7e and Omnitouch Pro running on tabletops.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1252]

Quickie Recap 28th of September, 2019

This is for the HikVision OEM doorbell camera that I purchased model number: NDB313W

There is also a same LaView and RCA camera.

1 - Live view main stream: (need to authenticate)

rxxp://admin:[email protected]:554/Streaming/Channels/101/
rxxp://user:p[email protected]:554/ch1/main/av_stream

2 - Live view main stream: (no authentication requried)

rxxp://192.168.1.100:554/

rxxp://192.168.1.100:554/onvif

3 - Live view sub stream: (need to authenticate)

rxxp://admin:[email protected]:554/Streaming/Channels/102
rxxp://user:p[email protected]:554/ch1/sub/av_stream

4 - JPG capture of main stream: (no need to authenticate)

hxxp://192.168.1.100/onvif/snapshot.jpg (no need to authenticate)

I utilize this link for the Omnitouch / OP2 camera configuration.

I have not figured out the substream onvif streaming or jpg captures yet...tinkering..

NOTE: Personally I would not open any ports on your firewall to access this camera. That said here utilize IPSec VPN running on my tablets and or phones today to access my home LAN. That is me though.

5 - if disabling the Android (or iOS) apps and removing the camera from the apps noted from above the camera still wants to talk to the cloud apps and I do not see a switch to shut this off via the batch configuration program. Current solution here would be blocking the IP on your firewall.
Specifically it would be IP ==> 49.51.85.228

Current firmware being utilized.  Utilize Hikvision Batch configuration to upgrade.

Model NDB313W

Connecting the HikVision doorbell to the Amazon Alexa Show

Quick way is to utilize the EZViz Alexa skill which would be the same as using the HikVision / RCA mobile app.

The following step by step will let you utilize the Amazon Show and a local RTSP (cloudless)

29th of September, 2019

A bit off of the original OP ....

Here have always utilized PFSense IPSec VPN (versus OpenVPN).

Tested the configured L2TP/IPSec configuration of VPN yesterday to work fine. (using Linux / Windows / Android clients).  It is said to work fine with iOS cllients.

Works with OmniPro 2 access via Snaplink (with video), Homeseer, Homeseer touch, Home Assistant, Zoneminder and Zoneminder mobile clients.

For the mobile access to the video doorbell it is much faster than bouncing the video to the cloud.

29th of September, 2019

This is generic for any RTSP camera and works fine with the HikVision Doorbell camera

Getting Started with Monocle (Alexa RTSP skill ==> "Alexa show me front door"

Prerequisites

Location - make sure that Monocle is supported in your country / region - English only at this time:

Austria
Austrailia
Canada
France
Germany
India
Italy
Mexico
Spain
United Kingdom
United States

Supported Alexa devices

Amazon Echo Show 5®
Amazon Echo Show®
Amazon Echo Spot®
Amazon Fire TV® Stick 4K
Amazon Fire TV Cube®
Toshiba 4K Smart LED TV - Fire TV Edition
Amazon Fire TV® 4K
Amazon Fire TV Stick®
Amazon Fire Tablet®

Supported Cameras

Streaming Protocols RTSP / RTP
RTSP Command support : describe, setup, play and teardown (thinking most or all cams have this)
Video format : H264
Audio format: AAC / G711
Feed authentication methods: HTTP digest authentication
RTSP URI responsiveness: much occur withing 6 seconds

Steps:

1 - Create a Monocle account ==> hxxps://portal.monoclecam.com/register
2 - Define a camera feed
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1253]
3 - add the Monocle Alexa skill ==> search for skill and add and configure it.
4 - Alexa ==> discover devices
5 - ask Alexa to show camera names

Adding a Monocle Gateway - here installed it on my current Ubuntu 18.04 automation computer ==> hxxps://monoclecam.com/monocle-gateway

The Monocle Gateway is a small service that runs on your local network to coordinate communication, encryption and security between your Alexa enabled devices and local IP cameras. When using the Monocle Gateway service, all camera steaming communication (RTSP) is securely routed through the Monocle Gateway service via SSL/TLS encrypted communication on HTTPS port 443.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1254]

Here is the Ubuntu way (many methodologies are listed)

1 - Download latest Monocle Gateway
Code:
curl -O hxxps://files.monoclecam.com/monocle-gateway/linux/monocle-gateway-linux-x64-v0.0.4.deb
2 - create configuration directory
Code:
sudo mkdir /etc/monocle
3 - Monocle API token for Authentication

Generate and download your Monocle API token from your user account page in the Monocle web portal. See this topic for more details on how to generate your API token ==> hxxps://monoclecam.com/monocle-gateway/api-token

Once you have downloaded your monocle API token file, move or copy it to the Monocle system configuration directory: /etc/monocle/monocle.token

4 - Install Monocle Gateway
Code:
sudo dpkg -i monocle-gateway-linux-x64-v0.0.4.deb
5 - Confirm Monocle Gateway is Running
Code:
monocle-gateway --tail
6 - If Monocle Gateway starts up successfully and established a connection to the Monocle platform , then you will get a print out that includes verbiage

MONOCLE RTSP SERVICE - INITIALIZED

7 - Configure one or more cameras for use with the Monocle Gateway service.

8 - Test your configured cameras with the Monocle Gateway service.

Service / daemon management

1 - Start the Monocle Gateway service:
Code:
sudo monocle-gateway --start
2 - Stop the Monocle Gateway service:

sudo monocle-gateway --stop

3 - Restart the Monocle Gateway service:
Code:
sudo monocle-gateway --restart
4 - Get the Status of the Monocle Gateway service:

sudo monocle-gateway --status

5 - Enable the Monocle Gateway service on system boot:
Code:
sudo monocle-gateway --enable
Code:
6 - Disable the Monocle Gateway service on system boot:
Code:
sudo monocle-gateway --disable
7 - Logging

sudo monocle-gateway --tail

8 - removal instuctions:
Code:
sudo dpkg --remove monocle-gateway
sudo rm -R /etc/monocle

Here is what you see when you log in to the Monocle gateway service (using two test cams and doorbell cam)

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1255]

and this is what you see under Alexa devices after a discovery.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1256]

Update 02nd of October, 2019

Hikvision DB1 (WiFi Video Doorbell)
Monocle Aug 14, 2018, 4:43 PM

Please note that we are currently working with this camera and trying to find a way to get it to work with Alexa, but at this time is IS NOT compatible with Monocle or Alexa devices.

The DB2 is similiar to the DB1.  I've tested using different resolutions and it is not working yet.  That said you can utilize the Amazon Show with the RCA, EZVIZ, Voxx and Hikvision skills that are available.  (all of these are cloud apps).

The Monocle forum does indicate newest beta is being tested and working with the Hikvision OEM doorbell modules.

The video doorbell has been tested with multiple 24/7 streams to Blue Iris and VLC running 24/7.

02nd of October, 2019 - KODI streaming

1 - create a doorbell.strm file
2 - such that it contains the doorbell stream

rxxp://admin:p[email protected]:554/Streaming/Channels/101/

here put it in a directory called IPCameras

In Kodi map the directory IPCameras.  Under videos go to play back videos and choose the doorbell.strm file.

13th of October, 2019

Tested playback of alarms (recorded to SD card) yesterday via IPSec VPN Hikvision application iVMS-4200.  Works great and a bit faster than the mobile cloud applications. The app auto magically uses the sub streams versus the main stream. No port configuration required. Just install the IP of the camera and default port of 8000.

Also tested a pure 5Ghz connection and it works fine. Initially I could not pair the device to 5Ghz and switched to 2.4Ghz and pairing was fine.

Here also paired the device indoors with a 24VAC transformer connected rather than outdoors.

pete_c said:
13th of October, 2019

Tested playback of alarms (recorded to SD card) yesterday via IPSec VPN Hikvision application iVMS-4200.  Works great and a bit faster than the mobile cloud applications. The app auto magically uses the sub streams versus the main stream. No port configuration required. Just install the IP of the camera and default port of 8000.

Also tested a pure 5Ghz connection and it works fine. Initially I could not pair the device to 5Ghz and switched to 2.4Ghz and pairing was fine.

Here also paired the device indoors with a 24VAC transformer connected rather than outdoors.
Hi Pete,

I wonder if the hikvision has ONVIF capability.  I use Milestone Xpress to record from cameras and was thinking about installing the Hikvision doorbell provided it can be used by Milestone.

I'd rather install an ordinary camera, but the porch where it could be installed is outside the CBS house structure and I am not sure I can fish a Cat5 cable to the front door.  A doorbel camera looks like a possible way out.

Yes.

New Hikvision cams has ONVIF capability.  The purchasers or sellers of the Hikvision OEM Wireless doorbells have updated the firmware now to allow RTSP streams, ONVIF and JPG grabs.  You can also disconnect the camera from the Cloud apps and use them locally or via VPN with your smartphone. The triggers / events are doorbell rings or PIR motion events and stored on the local SD card (which you can go to 128Gb). With a bit more tweaking of the firmware you can store events to a local or remote NAS. That and concurrently do your own thing with the NVR.

So you will not have any issues using the Hikvision OEM wireless doorbell with your Milestone Xpress.

I never wanted to use wireless for any cameras here. Now on Ebay you can purchase wireless 1-2 MP PT outdoor cams for $35. And get fancier with 10MP plus outdoor PT POE smart cams for less than $100.

I did originally purchase a Ring doorbell and installed it. 

It works fine but you are restricted to using the Ring cloud only and cannot directly tap in to the camera.

So I removed the Ring and installed the HikVision doorbell.  It is not as refined looking as the Ring though.

JPG snapshot:

hxxp://192.168.244.152/onvif/snapshot

ONVIF streaming:

hxxp://192.168.244.152/onvif

NOTE: no security login / password is required.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1258]

The camera boards that I am tinkering are Hikvision 4 and 5 MP boards.  Well they are of the new smart camera type and have Gb NICs and optional wireless board connectivity (and POE board connectivity). 

Using the Hikvision batch configuration program configures the two RTSP streams.  I have only been able to get the main RTSP stream to work with ONVIF (except that there is no security with the ONVIF stream).  Using JPG captures for the Omnitouch screens these days. 

I have tested the two camera boards with the current cloud android app and they work well except that I do not want to use this.  There are switches for enabling ONVIF, cloud storage, local NAS storage or local SD card storage.

pete_c said:
Yes.

New Hikvision cams has ONVIF capability.  The purchasers or sellers of the Hikvision OEM Wireless doorbells have updated the firmware now to allow RTSP streams, ONVIF and JPG grabs.  You can also disconnect the camera from the Cloud apps and use them locally or via VPN with your smartphone. The triggers / events are doorbell rings or PIR motion events and stored on the local SD card (which you can go to 128Gb). With a bit more tweaking of the firmware you can store events to a local or remote NAS. That and concurrently do your own thing with the NVR.

Thanks a lot !

I need three features:

1. Small size

2. Wifi, unfortunately,  because I cannot pull a cable.

3. Power.

So, I could have mounted a small camera on the covered porch roof, but how would I power it ? A battery would not last long with wife I'd think.  Hence, a video doorbell compromise fed from the bell power supply while not perfect might work.

Do you have a recommended source for the camera ?

Well the HikVision Doorbell uses the Doorbell AC doobell transformer for power and it has a built in chargable battery.   Note this is almost a fish eye view camera.

My old regular front door IP camera 28mm lens of old.

That said it is not on like the Ring doorbell if you remove the doorbell cables.

There are "el cheapo" battery operated WiFi CCTV cams with little solar panels that charge the camera such that is all wireless.

Google Ebay and look for PT or standard IP cameras with solar panels.

Back