New Video Doorbell

Do you have a recommended source for the camera ?

Amazon sells the RCA Hikvision OEM doorbell for $128

They also sell the LaView Hikvision OEM for $148

and Nelly's security OEM doorbell for $139.99 and

EZViz DB2 same doorbell cam...$129.99

You can also purchase the generic non labeled Hikvision from Nelly's security site ==> hxxps://www.nellyssecurity.com/

I purchased mine which is an unlabeled Hikvision Doorbell same as the one Nelly's security on Ebay from a security company in CA selling them for $139 or best offer plus shipping.

For the "el cheapo" wireless with solar panel cameras which are 1-2 MP I would recommend Ebay and not pay over $50 for these cameras.

These smart cams all are using HikVision 1-2 MP boards.

Noticed a flyer this morning coming from Worthington Distribution (ASI Home) promoting the Alula security system.  Note the video doorbell.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1259]

pete_c said:
Do you have a recommended source for the camera ?

Amazon sells the RCA Hikvision OEM doorbell for $128

Thanks a lot.

My understanding is that NDB313-W, RCA HSDB2A, LaView ONE Halo is the same hardware inside.  I read some reports about the camera heating substantially, but it was as I recall a DB1 camera rather than DB2. What is your experience in this respect ?

The hardware is identical for the DB2.  Many folks have updated their RCA firmware to generic to get rid of the RCA security video overlay.

That and the generic Hikvision configuration program features editing of the overlays et al.  And if you are OK with using the Hikvision SDK you can customize the camera any way you want.

Personally I did not want an RCA logo on my doorbell button.  Thinking RCA security is owned by Voxx which is old Audiovox.

Their is also a Uniden DB2 doorbell which is the same.

Before outside installation here connected a generic doorbell transformer to the device and tested it and configured it leaving it inside for a few days.  I did not notice the device getting too warm for use.  I think that the issue of heat was more related to the DB1 doorbells. 

Purchase it from Amazon with a cheapo doorbell transformer; test it indoors for a bit and if you are not happy it is easy to return to Amazon.

For whatever reason I could not pair it to the 5Ghz radio in the Ruckus WAP. I had no issues pairing it to the 2.4Ghz radio, then switching it to 5Ghz.

It appears that all of the vendors have updated the doorbell firmware now to allow for ONVIF and dual RTSP streaming, et al.

pete_c said:
The hardware is identical for the DB2.  Many folks have updated their RCA firmware to generic to get rid of the RCA security video overlay.

That and the generic Hikvision configuration program features editing of the overlays et al.  And if you are OK with using the Hikvision SDK you can customize the camera any way you want.

Personally I did not want an RCA logo on my doorbell button.  Thinking RCA security is owned by Voxx which is old Audiovox.

Their is also a Uniden DB2 doorbell which is the same.

Before outside installation here connected a generic doorbell transformer to the device and tested it and configured it leaving it inside for a few days.  I did not notice the device getting too warm for use.  I think that the issue of heat was more related to the DB1 doorbells. 

Purchase it from Amazon with a cheapo doorbell transformer; test it indoors for a bit and if you are not happy it is easy to return to Amazon.

For whatever reason I could not pair it to the 5Ghz radio in the Ruckus WAP. I had no issues pairing it to the 2.4Ghz radio, then switching it to 5Ghz.

It appears that all of the vendors have updated the doorbell firmware now to allow for ONVIF and dual RTSP streaming, et al.
Thanks again.

There's another issue I'll have to deal with.

The existing doorbell is mounted on the entrance wall at 90 degrees to the door and the hole is rather big and closee with what looks like an electrical wallplate with a button.  I did find some angle brackets to rotate the camera to 40 degrees but all of them are sized for Ring. There's one that can be matched with the RCA DB2 et al. but it leaves wires exposed.  So, I guess I'll try to carve something from a piece of wood...

Here my doorbell button is mounted at the edge of the side window for the door and next to brick.  The Ring doorbell wouldn't fit so I mounted it between the wood and the brick and purchased an adjustable angle bracket for it.

The Hikvision doorbell comes with mulitple colored faceplates and angle mounts.  It is a complete kit.  It was a bit smaller footprint than the Ring so it is a bit cleaner looking.

I used a tiny cement drill bit in to the brick to attach it.  It is a tad open between the wood and the brick.  You could put a bit of expandofoam there if you wanted to.

Will take a close up picture of mounting today.

pete_c said:
Here my doorbell button is mounted at the edge of the side window for the door and next to brick. 

Will take a close up picture of mounting today.
here's what I mean (not sure why the picture was rotated 90 degrees):

Attachments

• IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 8
Looks to be mounted on stucco eh?

Disconnect the doorbell transformer and current doorbell.  Take a close up picture of the wires coming out of the wall for the doorbell.  You may want to utilize washers to even out the Hikvision doorbell base making it a bit flush mount on the wall side.

You get 3 angle mounts, one flush mount and one mount which angle the doorbell a bit down or up.

There is a little level that comes with the doorbel kit.  Insert and use the level when attaching the base.  From where I see your doorbell is you will probably want to use the smallest angle mount.  Each of the angle mounts has two mounting holes where are identical so if the first choice is not right try the second choice.  Don't put the cover on the doorbell until you are happy with the video choice. 

Thinking it is 180 degrees side to side and 140 degrees top to bottom at 3MPs.

You mentioned a box of sorts that the current doorbell is screwed in to?  You could if you want to use the same metal screws to mount the plastic mount by drilling new holes in to the base of the doorbell mount. 

While playing with the camera inside of the house took time to figure out the best base mounting position outside first and just held the doorbell in place while looking at the video on my phone.  The doorbell set screws are tiny and on the bottom of the doorbell.  The doorbell sort of clips on to the base and the set screws just hold it in place.

pete_c said:
Looks to be mounted on stucco eh?

I am trying to send a better picture of the cover with a button.  The cover is/was sealed with caulk around the perimeter.

Yes, it is mounted on the CBS block covered with stucco so making new holes won't be easy.

If I mount it without an angle, the camera will just face the opposite wall of the door niche.  So, I'll try experimenting with the angle.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.JPG
    IMG_0249.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 6
Thinking you will be OK with the standard box screws.  The Hikvision doorbell is a bit narrower than the wall plate.  Guessing the stucco is painted all the way to the box.  There though the box may be wider than the base plate of the camera.  Clean up the caulking maybe too.  The camera kit comes with a foam piece that goes between the base and the wall (insulator like) with a sticky side you peel off.  Very similiar to an outdoor type outlet cover.

If the in wall box is wider than the camera then you can maybe attach the camera to the doorbutton wall plate and pass the wires through the doorbell hole.

Don't make any permanant changes until you have the camera and camer kit.  Their are many options included with the camera.

It is nice that you have a box there.  Had a home with stucco and the contractor just put the doorbell wires through the stucco.  I do not think you will need to drill any holes with the box there.  I used a tiny cement bit with my Makita portable drill and it had no issues with the brick over here.  I then put toothpicks inside of the hole for screwing the base plate to the brick.

pete_c said:
If the in wall box is wider than the camera then you can maybe attach the camera to the doorbutton wall plate and pass the wires through the doorbell hole.
Yes, that's a good idea, I thought about it too -- mounting the camera on the cover and threading wires through the button hole.

Thanks.

The new DB2 Doorbell camera is 3MP.  Main RTSP stream is 1536 X 2048.  When viewing the camera via the mobile Hikvision app (not cloud app) the viewing defautls to the substream.  Testing it with VPN have added two more cameras and all default to the RTSP substream.  Well that and a 5.X" sized phone display is still a tad too small for me.

I like not having to depend on the cloud app for viewing. 

Someone with a LaView OEM Hikvision DB2 reported high temperatures on their doorbell of around 139 °F.

Here just checked mine by touch and with a MicroTemp laser temperature sensor.  It is the generic Hikvision Doorbell sold by Nelly Security.

It is not warm to the touch and the temperature on the front was around 68 ° F and the side around 70 ° F

Wondering if that relates to firmware. I am assuming hardware wise they are identical.  Outside right now it is around 65 °F.

Note this is outside with the cover on.

pete_c said:
Someone with a LaView OEM Hikvision DB2 reported high temperatures on their doorbell of around 139 °F.

Here just checked mine by touch and with a MicroTemp laser temperature sensor.  It is the generic Hikvision Doorbell sold by Nelly Security.

It is not warm to the touch and the temperature on the front was around 68 ° F and the side around 70 ° F

Wondering if that relates to firmware. I am assuming hardware wise they are identical.  Outside right now it is around 65 °F.

Note this is outside with the cover on.
I just got an RCA one.  It is pretty hot on top.

I did not try alternative firmware yet, still trying to figure out the mount.  So far, I closed the sides of the opening with mortar so that the opening width would be about 1".  Need to wait a day for the patch to cure.

The provided wedge of about 20 degrees works so so, I need about 40-45 to cover the pathway to the entrance.

Back