OBi110: Tiny affordable PBX supporting multiple SIP trunks and Google Voice!

What about compare this device:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310313235332
You can get a free SIP account with CallCentric.com, then if you have google voice over the sip account, would that work?
PAP2 allows you to setup dial plan, that will allow you to program your local police station emergency number into dial plan.
When you dial 911, that little box will call the emergency number for you, no need for e911 services.

the obi110 can be connected to both a sip provider and google voice and you can set up a call plan with it. you don't need the pap2t.

If you have an obi110 and google voice "mirroring" two cell phones to the the obi110 device, is it possible to differentiate which number a call is comming in on? In other words, can I have two rings, one for my cell line and one for my wifes?

My wife and I have been using it so much, we both really like the device. Sound quality is very crisp, so I don't have any real complaints. I hope Google Voice will remain free, if not, I'll pay or get another SIP trunk.

Well I have had it for about 5 hours now.

It looks like a really advanced little piece of hardware for $50. It is a little confusing getting your mind around what you are doing with this since it is blending together all kinds of service providers and accounts into one seamless environment.

I did get my phone and my wifes phone linked up. We are on Sprint which basically 100% integrates with google voice. Google voice then forwards the calls to the obi110 and I was able to get it to make different ring tones for my line and my wifes. I could also have a single pots line merged into this system if I wanted.

Sound quality is as good as a pots line. Caller ID works like normal.

I started to look at all the full blown details of this thing but realized that learning the nuances of it would be a colossal waste of time. I simply have too many better things to do. But if you were so inclined, it seems to have a ridiculous amount of flexibility.

Hopefully Google voice will stay free or at least not charge much. This device has clearly made a pots line an obsolete, simplistic, confining, massive waste of money.

if you point your browser to the actual device (not the obitalk portal), under system management -> device admin, you can enable the syslog server. with a few lines of perl you can snoop the syslog output and grab the CID info w/o needing another piece of hardware to get the CID. the syslog output comes as soon as the phone rings.

Code:
$port = 514;
$socket = IO::Socket::INET->new(
    Proto     => 'udp',
    LocalPort => $port,
    );	
die "Could not create socket: $!\n" unless $socket;

print "obi syslog server\n";
while (defined($socket)) {
  recv($socket,$msg,1500,0);
  # $msg will contain syslog messages. parse it to extract CID or whatever else you want
  print $msg; 
}

close($socket);

a sample syslog CID line:
Code:
 <7> [SLIC] CID to deliver: '5551234567' 5559876543

in my setup, the 1st number is the SIP line the call is coming in on and the 2nd number is the caller's number.

a syslog CID line for a call from an asterisk extension to the OBI phone port shows the asterisk CID name for the incoming call:
Code:
 <7> [SLIC] CID to deliver: 'garage'

Damage,

You seem to be somewhat of a code master. So quick question, is there anyway to send a network command to the OBI110 to have it make a phone call?

Specifically, my ISY can execute network commands (get, post, connect, delete, etc), could I write a program on the ISY that calls me?

Lou,

this is not something i've looked at since i have an xPL app that can initiate calls via google voice. i think there's an OBI desktop app - you may be able to do some automation with that.

Damage, this is a neat script, but I had a quick question on how to do something slightly different.

Since Google Voice (GV) does not support caller id, the OBi110 does some magic and outputs the caller id number as the number of who's calling, but leaves the caller id name blank. Is there anyway a similar script can be written so the OBi110 fills in the name with something (could be the phone number or could be a string like "unknown" or "incoming caller")?

The reason is I'm trying to use a third party plug in for my HA system that relies on caller id. Everything else is working (custom IVR menus for device control via phone, message recording etc...); however, caller id is blank!?! I read some on obitalk and another user says caller id via their modem quit working a several firmware revisions ago when the name became blank. The program I'm trying to use is TAPI based. Unfortunately, I don't have the source code to modify it to use your trick, but would like to use the other neat features of the plug-in. It uses caller id to index the voicemails and to help generate an add contact option. Without caller id, the plug-in is kind of useless.

etc,

you would have to have access to the obi firmware to change the way it outputs caller id. without that you'd need the plugin source to change its behavior.

That's what I was afraid of. I'll try getting in touch with obihai then...

If anyone has GV with caller id working with a Obi110 and modem, please respond :) However, I've also ran the logging/test software that comes with the Way2Call modem and it shows no caller id data. I don't have normal phone service, so I can't test things.

PS: Damage thanks for the script.
Normally with Premise, I can use vbscript and a "virtual" Lantronix UDS-10 device (you only need to use the Premise driver for the UDS-10, not the UDS-10 hardware) to control things that allow for control via telnet. VMCController is a good example; it is used for ip control of Windows Media Center. In this manner, the UDS-10 driver makes any ascii text appear as though it came from a serial port. Data on this fake serial port is then used to trigger event based vbscripts.

I'm going to try to build a Premise module that will rely on your obi110 script. Is the idea that I would just need Premise to listen to a socket connection pointed to port 514 and the ip address of the Obi110? If it can be made to display the caller id data in telnet, it will work in Premise via the virtual UDS-10 trick described above. Any pointers are welcome :)

Back