OBi110: Tiny affordable PBX supporting multiple SIP trunks and Google Voice!

I'm going to try to build a Premise module that will rely on your obi110 script. Is the idea that I would just need Premise to listen to a socket connection pointed to port 514 and the ip address of the Obi110? If it can be made to display the caller id data in telnet, it will work in Premise via the virtual UDS-10 trick described above. Any pointers are welcome :)

no, you setup a socket on your machine to receive syslog messages from the obi or any other device. you configure the obi with the address & port of your syslog "server".

Grrrrr. You guys are going to get me in trouble again!! Just bought one. Will see if I can make it do someting.

Lou,

this is not something i've looked at since i have an xPL app that can initiate calls via google voice. i think there's an OBI desktop app - you may be able to do some automation with that.

How does that work? Could ISY tell the xpl app to place a call via GV? Is this xpl app something I can just load up on my computer or is it one of those custom jobs requiring skills/knowledge that only those in the business have?

How does that work? Could ISY tell the xpl app to place a call via GV? Is this xpl app something I can just load up on my computer or is it one of those custom jobs requiring skills/knowledge that only those in the business have?
i don't know if it would work w/ the OBI because it's based on the GV callback feature - you issue a command to the GV server to call a number and you give it a call back number. the GV server will call your callback number, then call the number you want to dial, then connect the two.

i don't know if it would work w/ the OBI because it's based on the GV callback feature - you issue a command to the GV server to call a number and you give it a call back number. the GV server will call your callback number, then call the number you want to dial, then connect the two.

So what sort of command do you send to GV? Could the ISY initiate that? Then you have a softphone on your pc that accepts the call and somehow is able to say something based on its connection to ISY? This is probably way to much work for me! But I would at least like to know what sort of command GV needs to do its thing.

So what sort of command do you send to GV? Could the ISY initiate that? Then you have a softphone on your pc that accepts the call and somehow is able to say something based on its connection to ISY? This is probably way to much work for me! But I would at least like to know what sort of command GV needs to do its thing.
not sure what capabilities ISY has, but if it can issue shell commands to a pc then it could work. scroll to the bottom of this page http://goo.gl/AlvNr to see a sample command to initiate & cancel a call. you would have to figure out how to answer your softphone and speak through it.

Got mine - connected it, logged into its web page interface and changed my time zone. Now, looking for some help - I see there is a guidance on the net about this but that is a rabbit hole I cannot go down right now. Can anyone give me a favorite doc or site / article / best practice to help me get this thing up with as little time spent as possible?

This is all I really need to do for now -
I have POTS and intend to keep it. Also have a Google #. Would like to interface Google Talk with it somehow. Can I dedicate an analog phone to be the "Google" number? Make / receive calls on the one phone?

Got mine - connected it, logged into its web page interface and changed my time zone. Now, looking for some help - I see there is a guidance on the net about this but that is a rabbit hole I cannot go down right now. Can anyone give me a favorite doc or site / article / best practice to help me get this thing up with as little time spent as possible?

This is all I really need to do for now -
I have POTS and intend to keep it. Also have a Google #. Would like to interface Google Talk with it somehow. Can I dedicate an analog phone to be the "Google" number? Make / receive calls on the one phone?

Maybe not. Unless I mistake what you mean. I am assuming you mean you have a pots line and you are gonna connect that to the obi, then use a GV number from your same handsets, is that what you mean?
If so, then no, you can't have one dedicated phone for the GV number. All the phones coming off the obi will be both, the pots line and the GV line. You can however use a dial plan to automatically "choose" to use the GV number for long distance, or even special numbers.
If you are not gonna connect the pots line to the obi then you can have the phone coming off of it as just a GV number.

Maybe not. Unless I mistake what you mean. I am assuming you mean you have a pots line and you are gonna connect that to the obi, then use a GV number from your same handsets, is that what you mean?
If so, then no, you can't have one dedicated phone for the GV number. All the phones coming off the obi will be both, the pots line and the GV line. You can however use a dial plan to automatically "choose" to use the GV number for long distance, or even special numbers.
If you are not gonna connect the pots line to the obi then you can have the phone coming off of it as just a GV number.

Thanks to you both.

Frunple - Interesting thought to be able to have a "dial plan". Would that mean I could hit a star-something to get a GV dialtone - the rest of the time it could be POTS?
For now I intend to just have a GV phone only, no POTS connection. Maybe in the dead of winter when I get some time I can play with it more.

Thanks to you both.

Frunple - Interesting thought to be able to have a "dial plan". Would that mean I could hit a star-something to get a GV dialtone - the rest of the time it could be POTS?
For now I intend to just have a GV phone only, no POTS connection. Maybe in the dead of winter when I get some time I can play with it more.

If your home has a central place where all of your phone lines do home runs, then you can split up the analog wires and make some of them Obi lines and some pots lines.

The basic thing is that the obi has a single analog output. Any incomming call to the obi whether via ip or via the pots input on it, will be output to that one analog line. You can however make each input have its own unique ring so as to know which number is being called in on. You can have two ip services and one pots all with their own rings, but still all the phones will ring.

As far as outbound, you will set a default service (pots, GV, other voip), but there is a code (I forget what it is, it is like ** something) which allows you to select which service is going to place the outbound call if you want to use other than the default. The free GV doesn't do outbound, so you either need to use your pots line, have a sprint cellular line linked to GV, or pay for one of the other voip services.

Perhaps I am wrong here, but I was under the impression that using GV for outgoing calls either required a computer/smartphone or using the callback feature. I make outbound calls on my Obi110 but I have it linked to Sprint and was under the impression that Sprint was being used to place those calls. The caller ID on the other end is my Sprint number when I call someone.

Perhaps the Sprint deal is only that it gives me the ability to use my Sprint number as both a GV number and Cell phone number without any porting.

Back