Omni IIe phone interface troubles

pulfers

I’m running an Omni IIe. My phone connection is Comcast VOIP. I was told by the installer that VOIP is normally not recommended as a dial out connection for security and/or reliability reasons, but that Comcast was acceptable because they maintain their own isolated VOIP network. The Omni IIe was installed by an HAI listed installer about 3 months ago, though I will stop short of saying it was installed professionally. I’m having two problems with the phone access feature, possibly related.

The first problem is that I hear major AM radio interference when communicating with the Omni over the phone, either remotely or from a house phone. This has been going on since it was installed. I believe the interference is being picked up within the Omni system and not on the phone lines because I cannot hear any noise on any other phones in the house and I only hear it when the Omni picks up. When the Omni picks up, I hear a local AM radio station clear as day, to the point that I can barely hear the beeps and voice of the system over the radio broadcast. To compound the issue, it’s not a station I like.

The second problem is that the Omni does not seem to be communicating after it picks up the phone. After the system answers I hear about three, regularly spaced quick beeps about 5 seconds apart, and then the system hangs up. It is not three beeps in rapid succession as if to indicate an invalid code. The system does not seem to recognize that I’m keying in numbers at all. I’ve tried on several different phones. When I try to access the system from a house phone, the system does not answer the phone when I press #. When I pick up a phone, I can hear the click of the system listening on the line, but when I press # I get the standard “your call cannot be completed as dialed” message and the Omni does not pick up. I have managed to get the Omni to pick up an in house call by repeatedly hanging up and picking up the phone. I first noticed this second problem, the Omni not responding to my code, when an alarm was triggered last week with the system in ‘away’ mode. I have the system programmed with my cell number as the dial-out number. When I attempted to call in to the system the system would not recognize my code, or even recognize that I entered a code, and repeatedly hung up on me.

When I checked the wiring last night, I noticed that the installer had wired the Omni in parallel with the other phones in my house, rather than in series. I changed this so that the Omni is wired in series and is first on the circuit, as per the installation manual instructions. This change did not seem to affect my problems. I have also verified that the ‘phone’ LED on the Omni board comes on when a phone is picked up or there is an incoming call, but stays off otherwise. I tried reversing the polarity on the connection between the house phones and the brown and grey wires from the Omni. Using the installer software I have verified that ‘telephone access,’ ‘answer outside call’ and ‘remote commands ok’ are all set to yes. I don’t believe that there is a security lockout issue because it has been going on for at least a week and because my understanding is that in lockout mode the system does not answer calls at all. My system is answering just not responding. That being said I’m out of things to try. Could it be that the radio interference is making it impossible for the Omni to recognize my commands? Could it be related to a feature of my VOIP service, such as call waiting? If anyone has any suggestions on how to get rid of the radio interference or fix my other problem I really appreciate your advise.

Update: Updating firmware and resetting only fixed the problem for communicating with the controller via in-house phones. From an external line I'm still getting AM interference. If anyone has any suggestions, please help.

Update: Updating firmware and resetting only fixed the problem for communicating with the controller via in-house phones. From an external line I'm still getting AM interference. If anyone has any suggestions, please help.
This is typical in some situations where you have a transmitter close to the house. Sometimes its as easy as adding an RFI filter on your line (which I would try and insert at different locations) . It could be as simple as one of these at smithgear dot c o m/rf1400.html
They can be found many places that sell radio and telephone equipment.
I've run into some harder situations where I needed to wrap ferrite chokes around the line to eliminate noise on the wire itself and have also had in other instances where, even though I was getting AM interference on the phone, I had to filter out other frequencies that were mixing together and creating the interference.
Hope the little filter works for you.

...HM

ps, sorry about the website address, but I since I am a new user I can't post websites.

By the way, I'd buy it from some place you can take back if it doesn't work. I've used a similar one on a voip line like yours and it worked fine. I had to put it on the output side of the omnipro for it to work. Also, you could try shielded cable and ground one end and make sure your omni system is grounded good.

I also get a low level hum on mine but its not too noticable. All my telephone lines are home runned to a patch panel so I guess I could disconnect all the tapped connections one by one to see if that helps. Will check ground also. Not really that bad but did a quick test and it typcally is not heard (when using my copper/2 VOIP lines unless I "talk" to my panel where it sounds more like an AC Hum noise.

Back