Omni IIe Wireless Receiver 45A00-1 and Console Wiring

tonyt16

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can assist with an issue I am having with my Omni IIe and recent addition of the Wireless Receiver 45A00-1. My understanding is that when connecting the Wireless Receiver you are suppose to use the 4 ports mark console on the controller. I already have a console connected to the controller so I proceed to wire up the new wireless receiver in parallel. However, when I do this the wireless receiver mode light just blinks 4 times a second indicating that it is not communicating to the controller. I have followed the instructions to make sure it has "A1" and "n1" set and have also enabled the Wireless Receiver on the console but it still will not work. The console appears to work without any issues and I am able to register wireless transmitters to the receiver and the appear to communicate fine. I just cannot get the wireless receiver to communicate to the controller. To further troubleshoot I removed the console from the controller and then the wireless receiver started communicating without any issues. This leads me to believe that I have not wired something up properly. I have attempted to find documentation on how to wire both the console and the wireless receiver at the same time but I have not had any luck. Anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong? Is the Console and Wireless Receiver supposed to be wired in series as apposed to parallel?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

They should absolutely be wired in parallel. 

When the wireless receiver is connected, does the console work normally?

Just make sure you are matching colors everywhere for the A and B side of the console data bus... i.e. yellow to A and green to B.

As long as you enabled the wireless receiver (go double check it to be sure) it really should just work.

Thanks for your quick response neillt. I tried to reply yesterday but I guess since I'm new I can only post 1 message a day.

Anyway, I have triple checked and then rechecked again and all the wires are correct. The console appears to work all the time whether the wireless receiver is connected or not. Thinking that the wireless receiver that I just got was defective I have actually replaced it with another one and I have the same issue. This leads me to believe there is something wrong with my console. Is there anyway to troubleshoot what might be causing the issue? As I stated before the wireless receiver works perfect as long as the console is not connected. Also the wireless receiver seems to communicate just fine with the transmitters all the time whether console is connected or not. 

Thanks again for any advice.

Are you confusing GND with GRN, black ground and green "B" at the Omni? 

Also, the 45A00-1 address is set to A1 if you have no hardwire expansion enclosures, otherwise, you need to adjust for that.

Hi StarTrekDoors,

Thanks for your response. I just checked again and made sure that the Black wire is connected to GND on all devices and Green is connected to "B" on all the devices. I took some pics of the wiring but I'm not sure how I can upload to this post. It's really strange that the wireless receiver seems to work perfectly fine until the console is connected. At this point I'm thinking there must be an issue with the console, although the console seems to work fine with or without the wireless receiver connected.   Since this is the second wireless receiver I doubt that is the issue. So I guess it's either the console or the controller. Only way I can think of narrowing it down is to order another console and see what happens unless anyone has any other ideas???

The controller and console I've had for a long time and used it for many years at my previous house without any issues. Prior to selling the house I took out the system. It sat for a few years since we were out of the country renting a place but we've moved back into a house here in the states and I'm trying to get everything connected again. Our previous house we built new so I was able to run wires to everything but we bought an existing home  and I don't have the luxury of getting wires to everything so wanted to utilize the wireless receiver. Perhaps during the removal or moving process something got messed up in either the console or controller (really hope it's not the controller).

Thanks again for any advice.

Seems odd that the console is working if it's bad but before you do that, check two other things.  First, if it's not too much trouble, you might disconnect power, remove the console wiring from your Omni, remove the console from wherever you have it located, then connect the console back to the Omni using new and unused short leads.  Power on and test.

If you still find the same issue, check that your power supply is adequate, if you have a multi-meter, check voltage, spec the rated amperage on the power supply to be sure it's adequate, and while unlikely that the cause is the power supply, not enough power can manifest in strange ways.  If the problem is neither of those two items, then you are wise in moving to the next step, trying another console.  

Let us know about your power supply or if the console move works.  

Thanks again for the good suggestions.

Everything that I have been doing so far with my controller has all been on new short leads. I'm working on purchasing all the things I need for the install and testing that everything works before I go through the hassle of running the wires. I'm glad that I have because as you can see it's not going well so far. It's still possible there is something wrong with the leads so I'll check that out and maybe just do new ones again in order to count that out.

The power supply that I am using is an ELK model number ELK-TRG2440. It's what I used in the past and believe it was recommended when I bought my system years ago. Is there a better power supply? I checked the output on the console connections with my multimeter and was getting 13.55 volts so I think it's getting adequate power. I also flipped the system over to battery power to try and see if that cleared things up and I get the same result. I quickly ran though it this morning before leaving for work so I'll do a more thorough check when I get home.

Some other information since I forgot to add this last time: 
  • There are no expansion boards on my Omni IIe
  • I've done a reset EEPROM from the console
  • The system has been completely powered off several times.
  • I've tried every address setting on both the wireless receiver and console and none work. I understand that the Wireless receiver should be on "A1" but figured I would try the others just to make sure.
  • The only things currently connected to the Controller are power, wireless receiver, ethernet cable, and the console.
I think that's about everything.

At this point I think I want to try and get another console, although something tells me that something else is going on because my current console seems to work fine. Too me if the console was the problem it wouldn't work no matter how it was configured. I'll probably just order another console today and try that out since I can't think of anything else. Hopefully that works. I'll post when I have an update.

Just thought I would update everyone... It would seem that the console was in fact the problem. I purchased a new console and wired everything back up and now both the console and wireless receiver are working fine. I'm not really sure what the problem would be with the console since, as I mentioned, it worked fine by itself. Anyway, I'm glad I was able to find the problem. Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. If anyone has any ideas on how to get the old console working again I would appreciate any suggestions.

Back