OmniPro II Random Resets

The issue as documented by the HAI folks related to an overly promiscuous network port. 

A wanted feature many years ago but not so much today; if that makes any sense?

Try putting a router between the OPII network interface and the rest of the network and update to most current firmware (3.14X). 

Worked for me. 

Initially here did just disconnected the network interface (losing touchscreen access except for the older Omnitouch screens) and it fixed my issues.

Today have a modded microrouter in place using the panel's power supply.

I have no issues with my serially connected devices (including the Omnitouch 5.7 legacy devices) and IP connected devices (Omnitouch 5.7e's et al).  (well other than some gotchas relating to a firmware update which deleted some features that used to be there for the old stuff for the new stuff (Omnitouch 7/ Email board wiped some older firmware stuff in a willy nilly like manner); and personally here didn't use it much anyways.

I recently have had the same problem. Rock solid for 7 years. Then the wheels came off. Took same course of action buying new OPII. Installed latest firmware. Connected exactly as before. "System Reset" started every few minutes. Narrowed it down to the network connection. Don't know why but when connected to my FIOS router, it starts the reset in motion. When not connected and accessed through serial connection, no problems. I hooked the OPII and my laptop to an old netgear router that was not connected to my FIOS network or internet. Able to access OPII like normal and runs with no resets. As soon as I connect to FIOS network, either behind a switch or not, resets start. No idea why.

Here relating to my FIOS / HAI OPII set up; never did utilize the FIOS firewall/switch/AP.

The television STB's connect to the FIOS box and I bridged one FIOS ethernet port to a DD-WRT's combo router.  

Do you still have your old OPII panel?  Would you consider selling it?

I will try that. Yes I still have it and have no need for it. Send me a private note with your email address and we can discuss further. Thanks.

Yeah relating to the FIOS / HAI OPII panel put everything in the two cans and the DD-WRT router box near the ceiling in the wiring closet.

Now it is not recommended to stick this FIOS box in a can but I did it anyways and its been over 5 years on 24/7.

You can purchase a Linksys WRT-54GL (Linux based) router box for some $40 or so.  The DD-WRT OS and mods are well documented.

Drop the DD-WRT firmware on the Linksys.  You can also crank up the wireless power a bit to provide a better footprint.

I really didn't like the oversimplification of the GUI stuff on the Verizon FIOS router.  Lots of eye candy and no meat.  Google bridging the network interface as it's a documented means of bypassing the FIOS box.

You can also just put the network interface in a DMZ and it will do the same thing for you connected to another box.

In the Midwest I have separated the OPII network such that it goes through a miniature TP-Link (micro router) modded to OpenWRT.  There is an in and an out and wireless on the microrouter.  I can access the OPII like I always have the way its configured and I have not had any network resets / time sync off stuff happening since I have done this.  The micro router is powered by the OPII panel and works fine and was $20.

BTW your messaging is not working yet probably based on the number posts? 

bh532 said:
Are you still having the same issues with the opII? I am having similar issues with a customers panel but it is much worse. The OPII that I am dealing with is getting about 5 to 30 system resets a day. So bad sometimes that it clears the controller time and also all of the automation programs. I have been chasing this problem even changed out the controller 8 months ago and the resets continued. I have talked to HAI and they are telling me that it is a networking issue. According to tech support the panel only has a 10mbps half duplex Ethernet port and when tied into a network port with speeds faster than 10mbps the panel is flooded with network traffic and causes the system resets. I found this hard to believe but the tech I spoke with was adamant that the network was the issue. I think that it is firmware related because the panel that was running a 2. firmware version before never had any issues with resets before the panel died and we had to replace it 2 years ago.

lvrouter said:
Thanks for the replies, the adventure continues.  To clarify, I do have a LOT of scripts (over 1,400 lines of code) but I did a test with an EPROM clear, and restored everything with NO programming.  It reset within a couple of hours.

The wireless receiver is connected to 6 zones (it's a GE, not HAI) but they are not alarm zones but rather "auxiliary", just informational to monitor the garage doors.  Since it's not on the keypad wiring loop no issue there.

Internet, maybe.  I'm going to try disconnecting Ethernet for 24 hours to see what happens, really inconvenient as I use iPads to control the system.

There is nothing connected to the relay board, in fact I disconnected the relay board (thinking a similar thing), the built-in outputs are empty.

lvrouter said:
Thanks for the replies, the adventure continues.  To clarify, I do have a LOT of scripts (over 1,400 lines of code) but I did a test with an EPROM clear, and restored everything with NO programming.  It reset within a couple of hours.

The wireless receiver is connected to 6 zones (it's a GE, not HAI) but they are not alarm zones but rather "auxiliary", just informational to monitor the garage doors.  Since it's not on the keypad wiring loop no issue there.

Internet, maybe.  I'm going to try disconnecting Ethernet for 24 hours to see what happens, really inconvenient as I use iPads to control the system.

There is nothing connected to the relay board, in fact I disconnected the relay board (thinking a similar thing), the built-in outputs are empty.

Welcome to the forum NGT!

There are quit of few long time users here of the OmniPro 2 system.

I have only seen only a few posts of OmniPro resets with non regular Cocoontech forum posters.

I personally have not had issues like this. 

I keep automation lines going for the base heartbeat of the home here.  That said I have a few widgets plugged in to my panel here and do all sorts of stuff.

Help us help you.  Lets start with:

1 - what are the specifics of what you are seeing? 
2 - what is your base hardware and connectivity?  (IE: everything serially and network connected)
3 - How many program lines of automation are you running and what are you doing with those lines?

Did you DIY install your system or was it professionally / commercially installed?

Back