Omnistat2 and ELK

tehbrosta

I have a boiler without a common wire. For about 6 months before I decided I was ready to control the thermostat I've been powering it with a separate transformer. I followed the ELK thermostat & lighting module document, plugged in my thermostat and It immediately let the smoke out. Needless to say I was pissed, luckily Leviton replaced it for me.

I have two concerns.

1) The way I am powering the thermostat. When I took the thermostat apart the part that blew was exactly where the RH RC terminals were. I have my RH and W1 landed on the board, then I have C and RC going to a 24VAC transformer.

2) The ELK Module says that I'm suppose to activate JP5

JP5 - This jumper is required for HAI Thermostat mode. It adds +12VDC onto Pin 4 of the RS-232 (DB9) Partner Port. WARNING - DO NOT USE THIS JUMPER FOR ANY OTHER MODES. DAMAGE WILL OCCUR

In this Omnistat document (last page), they don't mention anything about sending voltage down the pin 4 wire.
http://cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=6714

Any recommendations?

Can anyone at least confirm they have set JP5 when connecting an Omnistat2 to an ELK system?

I could wire in a fan center to my boiler and then have the proper wires at the thermostat.

FanCenterwboiler.jpg

Back