OpenHAB / HAI Omni

A new tweak to my system using Blue Iris, OpenHAB and my OmniPro II....

Using Blue Iris and OpenHAB, I was easily able to add camera motion detection triggers into my OmniPro system.  BI supports alert triggers using a URL (e.g.  http://192.168.1.25:8080/rest/items/camera_Front_Door).  When a camera detects motion, it posts to the URL with optional POST text (e.g. "ON" or "OFF", etc.).  The BI post to OpenHAB can trigger any OpehHAB item which could be a virtual OH item or an OmniPro item like a unit, flag or button.  You can have separate posts for when the motion trigger is activated and when it is reset.

This is great for activating outdoor lighting when a camera sees motion!

@JonW, I have a similar integration using Blue Iris, OpenHAB, and my OmniPro II. I have a Blue Iris overlay that displays my Omnipro alarm status (Away, Off, etc.) on the video feed image. 

I also use my front door camera to sense motion through Blue Iris and display a message on my LG TV letting me know someone is on my front porch. 

OpenHAB has helped me bridge the gap between my miscellaneous multimedia components (LG TV, Monoprice 6 zone amp, Onkyo receiver, misc zwave components, Harmony remotes, Opensprinkler) and my OmniPro. 

OpenHAB does have a bit of a learning curve but it has really developed into a solid "glue" to integrate many new technologies to our trusted but underdeveloped Omni systems. 

Yes, A bit of a learning curve at first, but once you understand the setup, it's then pretty straight forward.  I'm quite happy with what OpenHAB has brought me so far.  I just retired my own Visual Studio app that did my Alexa integration in favor of what OpenHAB has to offer.  I setup my own Amazon Lambda functions for OH so I'm not using their cloud connector.  I would guess my response time is a bit better than their cloud function, but since I never used it, I don't know for sure.  Regardless, OH has a good Alexa integration.  My own app also did a SQL log of all HAI OPII activity which I'm not currently doing with OH.  I know it is possible to do, I just haven't gone there to set it up as I really didn't use the logged data from my own app for anything useful anyways.

I've been using HomeBridge for Apple HomeKit integration and I'm now looking to ditch that in favor of OpenHAB as well.  The HomeBridge interface works fine, but I'd much rather just setup and maintain my devices in one system - OpenHAB.  I run an Ubuntu VM just for HomeBridge, so if I move that to OH, it's also just one less VM I need to run.  I really like how OH is a java system that you can literally move from a Windows machine to a Linux box or to a RPi running Linux.  Deployment is so much easier than other programs.  I'm not a Java programmer at all, so this is just from the user perspective for deployment.

@swamiller, how are you displaying your OPII status on your TV displays?

This is a very good thread. I just started the Openhab learning curve. Any status updates from the participants in this thread? 

The two main things I use it for are Alexa integration and remote access (iPhone & web).  Working flawlessly for both.

Hello. I’m trying to emulate the HAI SnapLink APP (or the old Haiku, or Space Automation, if you remember those) using OpenHAB (of course I want to add some functions that Snaplink doesn’t provide also, like NEST Smoke Alarms and Doorbell camera).

I would love it if anyone has already created the code for some of the functions Snaplink provides. For example:

- An EVENTS “button” that will simply display all Security Events
- I can see all of my Zone items (windows and doors) but the only status it shows is OPEN or CLOSED. How can I see BYPASSED, or change the wording to “MOTION” on my motion detectors.
- Along those lines, I would like to be able to click on any window or door and BYPASS or RESTORE them. How is this coded?
- An AUDIO button that will allow me to control my HAI HiFi zones and volume

I have a good foundation, I’ve created a sitemap that looks great. But right now I can’t figure out the functionality (other than I can see the status of most items, just can’t change the status.

I think if someone has already created most of the above they could zip up their .sitemap and .items files so that we could build on it. I would think someone has created a “Snaplink Clone” in OpenHAB? Basically looking for a solid template to get started with, that has all the basic features that SnapLink has.

Thanks In advance!!

Back