OpenHAB / HAI Omni

I played with version 1.X of Openhab, promoted it here on Cocoontech, got it running on all of my Linux trinkets at the time. Nobody here on Cocoontech seemed interested in it a few years back.  Most of the comments here related to it being to complicated and difficult to understand.  All of the posts are all still here on the forum.

I just installed OH 2.1 a week ago and I'm quite happy with it.  Aside from a few issues getting it going, it performs very well.  The only real issues I had would easily be skipped if there were better documentation aka "a quick start for HAI".  I have a nice little clean & quick control app now running on my iphone, ipad and web browser.  Currently the only plugins I'm using are the Omnilink and Denon ones, but given time, I'll explore some more.

Pete, that was digitaldan and he bought another Omni board!

Understood. 

We wrote to each other when he had purchased his new home.

I think the changes in OpenHAB 2.x over 1.x are significant that anyone who previously looked at it might want to give it another peek.  I too tried it on 1.x and thought it was lacking and never pursued it.  It's crazy fast to load and control stuff on my IOS devices.  This allowed me to make the jump to IOS 11 since my previous control program was H@ME (also by DigitalDan, but orphaned quite some time ago) and since it was only 32 bit, it quit functioning with the IOS upgrade.

Anyone know what doesn't work from 1.x to 2.x just curious?  

I still struggle with the setup.  Does anyone have any examples of high customized setups?  I really want to keep my ipads in keypad mode like Haiku and im not sure that OpenHab will do that?

Anyone know how to get the latest build of the omnilink binding for OpenHAB?  The one in the store is 1.0 and what I have loaded.  Note that this is 1.0 of the OpenHAB 2.x binding - not the older 1.x binding version.  This new 2.x bindings supports the channels concept.

Problem I'm having is that my thermostats do not show temps and it looks like it was a bug that has since been fixed.  I'm really not looking to create an environment to pull the github source and make my own build.  Just looking for binaries or a method to slipstream the changes.

Looks like the 2.x binding is hosted here:  https://github.com/QuailAutomation/openhab2-addons/tree/digitaldan-omnilink-binding-thing-types/addons/binding/org.openhab.binding.omnilink

Other than reporting temps, control features seem to be working great.

swamiller said:
Thanks - that looks to have the same version of jomnilink that I already have installed.

Maybe it's the way I'm using the temps that is incorrect.

I have the following in my items file:
Number hai_temp_001 "Home Heating" (Group_Temperature) {channel="omnilink:thermostat:c508d103:1:temperature"}
Number hai_temp_005 "Pool Temp" (Group_Temperature) {channel="omnilink:thermostat:c508d103:5:temperature"}
Number hai_temp_006 "Spa Temp" (Group_Temperature) {channel="omnilink:thermostat:c508d103:6:temperature"}
Number hai_temp_007 "Solar Temp" (Group_Temperature) {channel="omnilink:thermostat:c508d103:7:temperature"}
Number hai_temp_008 "Outside Temp" (Group_Temperature) {channel="omnilink:thermostat:c508d103:8:temperature"}
Number hai_zone_014 "Attic Temp" (Group_Temperature) {channel="omnilink:zone:c508d103:14:temperature"}

I have the following in my sitemap file:

Text item=hai_temp_001 label="Home Heating [%.1f °F]" icon="temperature"
Text item=hai_temp_005 label="Pool Temp [%.1f °F]" icon="temperature"
Text item=hai_temp_006 label="Spa Temp [%.1f °F]" icon="temperature"
Text item=hai_temp_007 label="Solar Temp [%.1f °F]" icon="temperature"
Text item=hai_temp_008 label="Outside Temp [%.1f °F]" icon="temperature"
Text item=hai_zone_014 label="Attic Temp [%.1f °F]" icon="temperature"

The name of the binding doesn't roll with new revisions.  The link goes to a 9/18/2017 version of the binding which is the latest version.  I install mine directly to my add-ons folder versus using the Marketplace. 

Also, you may try putting your items format like this:

Item:
Number hai_temp_001 "Home Heating [%d °F]"  <termperature>   (Group_Temperature)   {channel="omnilink:thermostat:c508d103:1:temperature"}

Sitemap:
Group item=Group_Temperature

This should list all of the items you have in the "Group_Temperature" group.  The icon and read out of each item is contained within the item file. 

I just deleted my omnilink binding and installed the jar to the add-on folder, but still having the same issue with temps.  

I tried it your way with doing the grouping only in items the way you've shown, but it gives me inconsistent results where the devices are not listed in the same order as defined in the items file.  For that reason, I've chosen to standardize on detailing everything in the sitemap for the exact layout that I want.  Testing both ways still does not show any temps.

I also tried removing just the label from the sitemap file and only having the item description in the items file (e.g. Home Heating [%d °F]), but it still doesn't show any temps.

My eventlog does show the thermostat/temperature channels being added:
2017-10-24 20:35:11.894 [ItemChannelLinkAddedEvent ] - Link 'hai_temp_001-omnilink:thermostat:c508d103:1:temperature' has been added.
2017-10-24 20:35:11.894 [ItemChannelLinkAddedEvent ] - Link 'hai_temp_005-omnilink:thermostat:c508d103:5:temperature' has been added.
2017-10-24 20:35:11.894 [ItemChannelLinkAddedEvent ] - Link 'hai_temp_006-omnilink:thermostat:c508d103:6:temperature' has been added.
2017-10-24 20:35:11.894 [ItemChannelLinkAddedEvent ] - Link 'hai_temp_007-omnilink:thermostat:c508d103:7:temperature' has been added.
2017-10-24 20:35:11.894 [ItemChannelLinkAddedEvent ] - Link 'hai_temp_008-omnilink:thermostat:c508d103:8:temperature' has been added.

2017-10-24 20:35:11.894 [ItemChannelLinkAddedEvent ] - Link 'hai_zone_014-omnilink:zone:c508d103:14:temperature' has been added.

Not sure what you meant by this:  "The name of the binding doesn't roll with new revisions."  After deleting my binding (marketplace version) and manually putting the download in the addons folder, the name of my binding still came up as "c508d103" and all my upb/unit/button controls worked just fine. 

BTW, I would like to override the name "c508d103" and rename it "home" or something else if I could but I've not seen any references on where to do that.

OK, working now, but this makes no sense.

The mapping from the "Things" listing shows the thermostat channel with no controller name present.  After changing my items file to match, the temps now display.  How is this possible?  I thought every item needed an associated controller.

Fails:  Number hai_temp_001 "Home Heating" (Group_Temperature) {channel="omnilink:thermostat:c508d103:1:temperature"}
Works: Number hai_temp_001 "Home Heating" (Group_Temperature) {channel="omnilink:thermostat:1:temperature"}

All units/upb/buttons have the controller name within the channel ID.

Edit:  BTW, figured out how to name my controller "home" instead of "c508d103" by creating a "things" file to define it.

swamiller - do you know what the channel id/object is for getting a zone temperature or humidity value?  I can read a normal zone status, but I'm not seeing where the channel mappings are for getting aux status.

All the temps that I currently have working are defined as thermostats.

Image-1.jpg

swamiller said:
JonW I don't know the answer but I submitted the question to the developer's Github site. I have a few rooms with temp sensors as well.

You've probably seen the update, but temperature and humidity are now working fine.

Back