Outdoor Rated Cable Modem

Hey BSR - turns out one of my suppliers does carry cooled NEMA enclosures, and they're way more affordable than I would've suspected. PM me or find me in Chat - I can share some specs and pricing and give you the best deal I can.

Hey BSR - turns out one of my suppliers does carry cooled NEMA enclosures, and they're way more affordable than I would've suspected. PM me or find me in Chat - I can share some specs and pricing and give you the best deal I can.

But I don't think you can keep cold beer in the NEMA enclosure!

I'm wondering if our professional installer members have run across this problem and could recommend a cable modem product that they have used outdoors.

I know it hasn't been that long but I was also wondering if you have made any progress. I have also been looking into outdoor cable modems for a different project - I live in the country and am looking to broadcast cable internet 2 miles using WIFI to my home via Ubiquiti nanobridge m2's hooked to the modem. Unfortunately I cannot find a suitable cable modem for the temperature specs here in Texas. I registered 117F in my equipment box WITHOUT any equipment running, and am somewhat afraid of the Texas heat with equipment inside.

I did find a cable modem inside the The ZoneFlex 7761-CM that's apparently IP-67 rated, or so the company claims. It's designed as a strand mounted wireless access point with integrated cable modem that hangs directly on the cable line. Unfortunately the quotes I got are all over $1000 and require written permission from the cable company before they will even sell it to you, which is unattainable for me to for tinkering around with. I emailed the company asking about modems with high temperature ranges and got this [mostly] useless reply.

Ruckus Wireless said:
Greetings,
Thanks for contacting us. I received this message from our support team.

The 7761-CM is an IP67 rated outdoor WiFi Access Point with an integrated DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem. It is intended to be deployed outdoors on aerial cable plant, in a cabe pedestal or vault. In order to perform adequately in those conditions the integrated cable modem was designed with an extended temperature range, as you note below. The integrated cable modem is not available separate from the 7761-CM. We do not offer an extended temperature range cable modem a separate unit.

Your cable operator should be able to provide you with a list of approved devices for their network. If they have any approved devices that support an extended temperature range, they should be on that list; perhaps they can point one out to you.

In any case, I am almost ready to buy a used motorola docsis 2 modem, dissect the guts from the modem case, upgrade the heatsink and just put the thing in the box until/when it fries due to temperature.

If you have found something, I would like to hear about it. Thanks.

I have not found anything that is 'just' a cable modem (like you experienced).

I think more realistic success may be in obtaining a NEMA cooled box such as what Work2Play may have found in his post above. I'm sure this requires a larger power source as well.

I have not found anything that is 'just' a cable modem (like you experienced).

I came across the AZ2400-OCM Outdoor Cable Modem listed at http://azurecomm.com/products-ocm.html while searching today but there doesn't seem to be any more info on it or how much it costs.

Back