Premise Premise Open Source?

Motorola Premise
I'd definitely like Premise to be open sourced. I think there is a huge need for a solid and versatile open HA app. The need is for an app that supports both Zwave and Insteon VERY well. In the DIY community, I see these as the two main protocols currently... with UPB being 3rd, and Zigbee likely to be on the rise in the next 2-4 years.

I dumped Homeseer a while back because it was too buggy, too expensive, and with low-quality coding on the new "features".

I looked at MANY apps and some do a nice job but with only 1 protocol. I eventually moved to mControl - it supports Insteon and Zwave pretty well... has a few quirks but works 98% of the time without issue.

I think we have the user base to convince Moto to do it... but is there a set of devs willing to take it on?

Premise doesn't need to be open source to add new drivers (aka modules or add-ins), features or even entirely new technologies. Z-Wave support is a good example of that and the Z-Wave support is already very extensive, please read the links in my signature ;)

It would be great if it was open source as there are some deeper parts of it that are undocumented and hopefully knowledgeable folks will explore the source code. Hopefully, open sourcing Premise will gain users, but really it shouldn't matter as the object oriented architecture is already very advanced and flexible.

I'm not sure about Premise ever getting updated Insteon support unless more users contribute. I know a few older modules exist, but I doubt they support the array of new Insteon devices. Unless you are willing to find a serial module with an open protocol and write the module, I wouldn't count on Premise ever getting updated Insteon support. If you wanted to start on such a project, study the Z-Wave module in detail. It's in vbscript so it's fairly easy to pick up and study.

Even though I am not a coder, I have received alot of help from 123, and others to get my Premise system where it is now, even though it is very basic from what others have done. I havent even looked at Premise in over a year, but would like for it to do some more things, but just dont have the time anymore to sit down and try to learn how to do those things. I think the open source idea is great, because maybe it will bring out others, and relieve some of the "notable few" that 123 speaks about.

I would love to see 1-wire support in Premise!

Count me in as another who downloaded, installed, but decided not to dive in to the work to implement Premise.
This would give me the incentive.

Well, Open Sourced or not, I am going to use Premise until there is another free HA solution that is as easy to setup as Premise.

Any news on this from Dan Q?
He started the thread, to ask the question gauge support, then nothing. He may be lurking and working with Moto, but it would be nice to have an update. I think there's good momentum right now... Strike while hot!
Tim

Add me to the list! I'm trying to troubleshoot a Caddx panel and it would be extreeeeemely helpful to see what the built-in driver is doing versus starting over from scratch.

Hi,
I'm French and I'm verry interested to see premise in open source!
if one day motorola agrees to make the code public, it will be very good news :)
Jean-Michel

J-M!

For those that don't know, Jean-Michel was one of the original Premise devotees...Glad he is still a supporter!
Hope all is well with you, J-M!

Hi chucklyons,
I develope with premise since 10 year now. but this soft do not upgrade.
I will continue to use Premise, because i can control my house with my iPhone and that i like this soft!

It's been several months since the initial post on this subject and no follow up from DanQ.

Can anyone in the know comment on whether there are still talks to move ahead or is this DOA?

Not trying to stir anything here, just making an observation since this routinely gets bumped, but no word back from the original poster.

Folks,

Motorola turned down our request to release Premise as open source. Their response did not close the door completely, and once the smoke clears from the Google acquisition I will make another attempt.

Dan

Was Premise part of the acquisition? If so, I would think that the odds going forward would improve.

Back