Problems with new LTE install

charliebarns

I'm installing a new Omni LTE here at my vacation home and I'm running into some problems. The only thing I've hooked up to it so far is the battery and one console. However, I can't get the console to stay on for more than 20 seconds before the whole thing locks up and it goes to a constant solid beep. I did manage to get the console to stay on long enough for me to set the IP and get the keys out of it. I've logged in to the LTE from my PC Access dealer and all seems fine with the board itself except the battery shows '0' under status.The battery itself is a one month old and I had purchased it to replace a dead battery on my current DSC alarm.

I'm wondering if the issue with my console could be a lack of voltage supplied to the LTE. The transformer I'm using right now is the transformer off of my old DSC system. It says it's rated at 16 V, 40 VA. The LTE wants 24 V. Power and status lights on the LTE appear to be fine. I have ordered a replacement transformer but it won't be here for a few days.

Has anyone experienced anything like this with a console?

Thank you

Personally and big guess right now it has to do with the 16VAC transformer maybe? 

Thought it was mentioned in docs that it is supposed to work. 

That said bench test the console disconnecting the wires from it and connect 12VDC to it.  The console should light up. 

Manual states it should work fine with a 9VDC battery test.

consoleselftest.jpg

Then check the output of the LTE aux 12VDC.  It should also be at 12VDC (using a VOM). 

console.jpg

If it is not 12VDC then quit messing with it until you get your 40VAC transformer.

BTW this is the way I have tested my OPII boards before installation (workbench, console, PCA, Earth Ground).

Thx Pete. I have tested the console a couple of times now with a 12vdc battery and it seems to pass the test. I'll anxiously await my 24v transformer and hope that was the issue.

cb

Good news CB. 

Here switched out my HAI provided 24 VAC transformers for the Elk 24VAC transformers.  (HVAC + Irrigation too here).

Thinking I did the switch because of the ground terminal on the Elk transformers. 

charliebarns said:
 However, I can't get the console to stay on for more than 20 seconds before the whole thing locks up and it goes to a constant solid beep.
I'm wondering if the issue with my console could be a lack of voltage supplied to the LTE. The transformer I'm using right now is the transformer off of my old DSC system. It says it's rated at 16 V, 40 VA. The LTE wants 24 V. Power and status lights on the LTE appear to be fine. I have ordered a replacement transformer but it won't be here for a few days.

Has anyone experienced anything like this with a console?

Thank you

I would guess the unit is overheating quickly since reducing the voltage will cause the console to draw more amps which equals more heat, which in turn causes overheating and/or component failure/damage.  You should never use the wrong size power supply with any electronic device but you already know the cause because you know to replace the wrong power supply with the right one.

Well I received my elk 24v transformer today and unfortunately this has not fixed the problem. I've measured AUX voltage from the LTE and it reads just over 12. I've posted a video to show the problem. After a few seconds of the system having power the keypad goes to solid beep and locks up completely. If I leave the system unplugged for an hour, it takes about 1 min for the keypad to do this. If it's only been unplugged for a few minutes the keypad will do this after 10-15 seconds.

Video here:

https://youtu.be/8FX7oamfNFE

Well I'm not sure about damage being done or the unit is defective. I don't think applying less Power would damage it. This console was purchased "new" from an online retailer. However, in opening the package it was clear it had already been installed. The lcd is quite scratched up and the wires had crimps on them. If I wasn't already at the vacation house I would have returned it.

However, in opening the package it was clear it had already been installed.

Did you purchase it from an online retailer or from an individual?

If I wasn't already at the vacation house I would have returned it.

Curious then what you are going to do?

Care to mention the online retailer?

Was it purchased as "new" or "open box"?

I've ordered a replacement from AA and paid for 2 day shipping since I'm only here for a few more days.

It was ordered as new, not open box. It was a Canadian retailer (I think the only online Canadian automation retailer).

Back