Rain8net Integration with OmniPro II

Attached is an article put out by Rain8 discussing the proper way to set up their device. I haven't heard of it either and this is why i was curious of eveyone's expierence in regards to using units rather than UPB LINKS. Please read it and let me know what you think! Open the file listed HAI_UPB.pdf from the following link http://www.wgldesigns.com/downloads/hai_upb.zip

Thanks for the input mine Rain8UPB PRO should arrive tomorrow.

Couple of interesting observations here.... The documentation for the non-pro version doesn't say anything about using links. Even their example code uses unit (direct) codes. Also, right on the product page for the Pro version, it says "Supports both LINK and DIRECT control modes.".

At first I was going to suggest that maybe it was outdated documentation, but then thought about it and I've been running my Rain8UPB with direct codes since before the Pro version was available.

Yes i thought it was related to outdated material however might be something related to the pro model? I think that the "Supports both LINK and DIRECT control modes" is referring to the fact that in the PRO version you can turn each valve on directly through the controller button rather than through UPB?? Just at thought. Either way i will find out soon when my unit arrives today and i get it installed in the next couple of days. I might be returning it for the NON pro version if it doesn't work with UNITS because there is no way for me to associate a USER SETTING with a LINK unless anyone can give me an example of how to do this?

Yes i thought it was related to outdated material however might be something related to the pro model? I think that the "Supports both LINK and DIRECT control modes" is referring to the fact that in the PRO version you can turn each valve on directly through the controller button rather than through UPB?? Just at thought. Either way i will find out soon when my unit arrives today and i get it installed in the next couple of days. I might be returning it for the NON pro version if it doesn't work with UNITS because there is no way for me to associate a USER SETTING with a LINK unless anyone can give me an example of how to do this?
I don't use HAI or the Rain8, so forgive me here if this is obvious... but I checked the WGL site and they have some very specific information about using the Rain8 with the HAI... did you look into that?

I don't use HAI or the Rain8, so forgive me here if this is obvious... but I checked the WGL site and they have some very specific information about using the Rain8 with the HAI... did you look into that?
Attached is an article put out by Rain8 discussing the proper way to set up their device. I haven't heard of it either and this is why i was curious of eveyone's expierence in regards to using units rather than UPB LINKS. Please read it and let me know what you think! Open the file listed HAI_UPB.pdf from the following link http://www.wgldesign...ads/hai_upb.zip

Thanks for the input mine Rain8UPB PRO should arrive tomorrow.

This is where the above link is referenced from.. Rain8upb still hasn't arrived. Keep you all posted.

Ok so i have received my Rain8upb Pro and I am having problems and need a little assistance.

-I can't get it to configure properly using the cable provided and my usb to serial adapter. It sees the connection however it is saying "Not a Rain8UPB Pro" and it won't let me configure.

I have downloaded the latest software from the wgldesigns website listed above and have no idea why it would say "Not a Rain8upb Pro" when this is what i have connected. I have also tried to download the software for the NON pro version and when i try to run this sofware it can't even find the device. I have an email out to Rain8 however thought someone on the forum might be able to help.

Another question i have for you HAI / Rain8 users out there is this. Are you using two PIM's, one hooked up to your Omni and the other hooked up to your Rain8? Can you expand on how everything is hooked up because these directions aren't exactally clear on this front.

Thanks in advance for any help that might come!

Are you using two PIM's, one hooked up to your Omni and the other hooked up to your Rain8?
Correct. The Rain8UPB has no native UPB intelligence. The PIM on the Rain8UPB serves this purpose. Think of it like the Rain8X10 where the PCS05 is needed to bridge the powerline protocol. The implications to this is that the device does not respond to UPB (e.g. UpStart) in the same as most other UPB devices. It responds with the generic capabilty of the PIM.

My personal experience. FWIW

1. You do need a PIM module for the Rain8UPB Pro. Make sure though that you only use the cable provided by WGL to program the Rain8 though. I accidentally used the cable provided with the PIM and blew 2 PIMs before I realized what was happening. To me, this is a huge mistake by WGL and they do not provide any advanced warning about this. I had mentioned this to Warren at WGL when I was communicating with him.

2. In PCAccess I use units and have them set up as UPB house code format. This has worked fine for me.

3. I did enable the maximum settings in the Rain8 module itself as a security fallback. But so far it has never had any issues.

Joe

Here you go:

Code:
124.	// /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
	// IRRIGATION SYSTEM ROUTINES
	//
	// Each zone checks to see if rain sensor has flagged before starting. If one zone is
	// canceled, then the remaining zones are canceled also.
	//
	// System logs event if sprinkler activates or is bypassed by rain sensor
	//
	// If it begins raining during irrigation, then it stops immediately
	//
	// Can also start any zone without triggering the others
125.	// If irrigation is attempted but stopped by a triggered rain sensor, then
	// log that event
	//
126.	TIMED 5:00 AM M-W-F-S
		AND IF Sprinklers Bypassed OFF
		AND IF Rain Sensor NOT READY
			THEN LOG Sprinklers Bypassed by Rain Snsr
127.	// If irrigation begins normally (sprinklers not bypassed and rain sensor either dry or
	// bypassed), then log the event and start the system
128.	TIMED 5:00 AM M-W-F-S
		AND IF Rain Sensor SECURE
		OR
		AND IF Rain Sensor Is Bypassed
			THEN Sprinkler Program Running ON
			THEN LOG Sprinkler System has Started
			THEN 1 - Front Sidewalk Grass ON FOR Duration: Sidewalk Grass Zone
129.	WHEN 1 - Front Sidewalk Grass OFF
			THEN SPRINK 1 TMR ON FOR 1 SECOND
130.	WHEN SPRINK 1 TMR OFF
		AND IF Sprinkler Program Running ON
		OR
			THEN 2 - Front Grass ON FOR Duration: Front Grass Zone
131.	WHEN 2 - Front Grass OFF
			THEN SPRINK 2 TMR ON FOR 1 SECOND
132.	WHEN SPRINK 2 TMR OFF
		OR
			THEN 3 - Backyard Grass Left ON FOR Duration: Back Grass Left Zone
133.	WHEN 3 - Backyard Grass Left OFF
			THEN SPRINK 3 TMR ON FOR 1 SECOND
134.	WHEN SPRINK 3 TMR OFF
		OR
			THEN 4 - Backyard Grass Right ON FOR Duration: Back Grass Right Zone
135.	WHEN 4 - Backyard Grass Right OFF
			THEN SPRINK 4 TMR ON FOR 1 SECOND
136.	WHEN SPRINK 4 TMR OFF
		OR
			THEN 5 - Front Drip ON FOR Duration: Front Drip Zone
137.	WHEN 5 - Front Drip OFF
			THEN SPRINK 5 TMR ON FOR 1 SECOND
138.	WHEN SPRINK 5 TMR OFF
		OR
			THEN 6 - Left Porch Sideyard Drip ON FOR Duration: L Porch Sideyard Drip
139.	WHEN 6 - Left Porch Sideyard Drip OFF
			THEN SPRINK 6 TMR ON FOR 1 SECOND
140.	WHEN SPRINK 6 TMR OFF
		OR
			THEN 7 - Backyard Drip ON FOR Duration: Back Drip Zone
141.	WHEN 7 - Backyard Drip OFF
			THEN SPRINK 7 TMR ON FOR 1 SECOND
142.	WHEN SPRINK 7 TMR OFF
		OR
			THEN SprinkZone8 ON FOR Duration for sprinkler Zone 8
143.	WHEN SprinkZone8 OFF
			THEN Sprinkler Program Running OFF
144.	// Log event when rain begins and when sensor dries out
145.	WHEN Rain Sensor NOT READY
			THEN LOG Notify when raining
146.	WHEN Rain Sensor SECURE
			THEN LOG Notify when sensor dries out
147.	// If sprinklers are stopped in mid-session by rain, then shut off all irrigation and log
	// the event
148.	WHEN Rain Sensor NOT READY
			THEN 1 - Front Sidewalk Grass OFF
			THEN 2 - Front Grass OFF
			THEN 3 - Backyard Grass Left OFF
			THEN 4 - Backyard Grass Right OFF
			THEN 5 - Front Drip OFF
			THEN 6 - Left Porch Sideyard Drip OFF
			THEN 7 - Backyard Drip OFF
			THEN SprinkZone8 OFF
			THEN Sprinkler Program Running OFF
			THEN LOG Sprinklers Stopped by Rain Sensr

Thanks. This looks very useful. One additional thought, in my code I made use of some user settings. One of the user settings is a SpringDays set up as DayOfWeek type. This way I can change the days that the sprinklers are active without having to go into the code. I also set up user settings for zone start times and zone durations. Again, I can change these settings without going into the code.

Joe

I am having the same setup problem described above, with the message "not a PRO model rain8upb" appearing.  I didn't see an answer to the query above.  Does anyone have an idea what is wrong here?

Thanks for the heads up on the cable as well.  I see now that the cable from WGL appears to have four conductors but the one with my PIM has six.  Glad I didn't make it far enough to blow a PIM!

EllisConCo said:
I am having the same setup problem described above, with the message "not a PRO model rain8upb" appearing.  I didn't see an answer to the query above.  Does anyone have an idea what is wrong here?

Thanks for the heads up on the cable as well.  I see now that the cable from WGL appears to have four conductors but the one with my PIM has six.  Glad I didn't make it far enough to blow a PIM!

Its been a while but if I remember correctly, at one time I had a mismatch with the baud rates, etc. Then I had to power cycle the Rain8 unit. Then I had to make sure my add-on unit was not connected. It was a trial and error but I finally got it to work.

Joe

Pnord said:
I too am getting the "not a pro model rain8upb" error.
has anyone figured this out?
Thanks
Paul

I too had this issue.  I solved it by making sure I used a STRAIGHT-THRU 6-conductor modular cable as well as making sure my PC COM port was 9600 baud, 7 data bits, EVEN parity.  Then the program recognized the Rain8 model correctly.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1017]

Back