Relative newbie in need of assistance

type = 0

reporting format = 1 contact ID

dialing attempts = 8

report following events  = area events checked, global system events checked.  remaining unchecked.  

anything else you need?

That looks ok, too.

A thought just occurred to me... do you have a DSL or POTS (plain old telephone service) phone line?  Or VoIP phone service provided by the cable company, perhaps?

One other thing you can try... go to the system diagnostic menu, keypad option 86-4.  This is the Last On Hook Voltage.  It might not be the exactly the same as the 47.7V you measured, but should be something close.   This will tell you if the M1 thinks the phone line is really present.

It's possible that the VoIP line is the problem.  People seem to have varying degrees of success with VoIP service.  For some, it works fine, while for others it just won't work at all, especially CID format.  Not sure why you wouldn't see the line seized LED coming on, despite it being a VoIP line.

Who provides your service?   What brand/model of VoIP gateway do you have?

One other thing I came across in an old thread.  Someone found that the M1 would not dial out if there was a space as the first character in front of the phone number to be dialed.  So check that, too.

Ok. Checked. Definitely no space. 905xxxxxxx.

Two interesting observations

I keep hearing a clicking from the m1g, every 60 seconds, and the line seize light comes on for a second.

Second, I removed the 4 wire telephone connector from the m1g, and the line seized light comes on and stays on. When I put the connector back in place, light goes away.

Really appreciate the help in solving this mystery.

I believe the line seized being on when the telco connection is removed is normal.  The M1 is telling you that it is failing to detect normal telco line voltage.

The relay clicking sounds like the M1 is trying to dial out and is failing to detect a working phone line... perhaps not recognizing the simulated dial tone from the VoIP device.

Do you see any errors from the M1, such as "phone fault" or "fail to communicate"?

On the Nettalk web site, I do see where they say:

"We do not recommend using the TK6000 or DUO with your alarm system. We are aware of people making a connection to their alarm system and TK6000/DUO. We do not recommend or endorse this use."

So, it sounds like it might work, or it might not.  Just too many variables for them to guarantee that it will work. Part of it is the proper connection to the RJ31X, but probably also depends on the particular alarm system being connected.  Not to mention the quality of the ISP.

Maybe someone else will chime in here with some other suggestions.

thanks for the input.

Has anyone tried a ABN3A from NextAlarm?  they support ELK and my monitoring company recommended it.  Getting a land line isn't an option, it's such a rip off. 

Another thought, while on this topic:

Is it worth me trying to bypass the RJ31x and connect the line from the voip adapter directly to the M1G?  I know I won't have working phones in the house, but shouldn't I be able to hear the dial tone through the speaker? 

Sure, you can connect the phone line directly.  That would rule out the possibility that the RJ31X is wired incorrectly.  From what you've posted previously, it appears that you have it wired properly, but it won't hurt to try.

There are a number of members on Cocoontech who use or have used NextAlarm.  I don't know if any of them have used the ABN, though. 

My understanding of the ABN is that is converts the telephone line communications to data packets that are sent over your internet connection, and that's how it gets around the VoIP problems.

On the plus side for the ABN is that NextAlarm says it works with the Elk M1.

On the minus side, it is a proprietary interface box that only works with NextAlarm.  So you are tying yourself to their monitoring service.

A more flexible solution would be to get yourself a M1XEP ethernet interface for the M1, and then you can use any monitoring service that supports IP monitoring and you won't need an ABN.

My preference would be to use IP and/or VoIP as a last resort.  Both depend on the internet, which, in my opinion, just isn't reliable enough to provide for 24x7 security.   Others here may disagree.

If you don't have a POTS line available, then the next best alternative is a cellular connection.

It all comes down to how certain you want to be that the central station will receive notification of an alarm condition.

I do own an M1XEP.  I have contacted my monitoring company to see if they can accept communication through the internet.  The monitoring company sells the Next Alarm, so I am not too worried about that, if I need it. 

how do I configure the M1XEP to send a signal through the internet if there is an alarm? 

Also, one unrelated question.  I have 3 motion sensors.  They seem to work, as the lights come on when there is movement, but when the system is armed on away, I do a walk test and although the lights light up, the alarm never goes off.  They are DSC LC-120.  What have I done wrong?

There are directions for setting up the XEP for reporting to a monitoring service in the XEP Installation Instructions.  The monitoring service will have to provide you with some of the information you need to do the setup.

For the PIRs, you should define the zone as a Burglar Interior, or one of the variants, depending on how you want it to work during Stay or Night modes. 

You say you have 3 PIRs.  Do you have them each connected to their own zone, or are they all connected to a single zone?  If you are using them together on a single zone, that might be your problem if you didn't wire them together correctly.

Have you checked the wiring back to the M1 with an ohm meter?   With the 2 contact wires disconnected from the M1 zone terminals, you should see the resistance change when you violate the zone. 

It looks like the LC-120 has form-C contacts.  Are you using the normally open (NO) or normally closed (NC) terminals?  Usually, PIRs are installed using the NC terminals.

Back