Residental w/ rack; wiring question

I haven't used scoops yet; my wiring closet's drywall prob won't be replaced for a couple years.

But, I do like Arlington's stuff, generally. They have scoops.

I would search RC for specific IR extender kits. There was a recent discussion of Xantech's different models.

I was just searching Arlington's site and found what I was looking for:
http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/communications/the-scoop-non-metallic-cable-entrance-hoods/CED1

I also think I'm going to go with some Xantech products for the IR distribution. I just need to reach out to determine the recommended method of utilizing CAT5 to extend the cable; the have it listed on their site to do, and it allows up to 200' range, even tells you what wiring to use for each signal, but I'm interested to see/hear about how to terminate Cat5 cable into a 3.5mm stereo jack; not sure if they have a recommendation for this already, or if I need to roll-my-own and solder cables to jacks that I can buy at Radio Shack.

Yup; here personally one set up (house) is small and SMC's are in one wiring closet with all wiring going to it.  Its tight.  The network cabling is terminated in the can patch panel.  The wires were run from the attic space into the wall of the closet and in the SMCs.  The closet is in the middle of the home.  All of the LV cabling was run before the drywall was installed.  Closet is two stacked SMC's one being the alarm panel SMC.  I did also build a sort of platform in the attic over the closet with easy access should there be any more cabling installed.  No IR blasters were installed.  The multimedia is in the "great room" with all of the LV cabling running to the wiring closet.  It is built into a wall with shelves with the LV cabling running behind and under the shelving.  I did add PVC tubing for more cabling into the cement under the shelving.  Its some 75 feet from the wiring closet.  The home office was configured for a desk in the middle of the room such that I ran infrastructure in PVC tubing and LV cabling in the cement to the both sides of the room (added autonomous electric runs to the mix).  On the LV non alarm stuff its mostly catXX, speaker (mostly 16/4 utilized), RG-6 and microphone cable (which I used at one time for line level audio stuff).  On the LV alarm stuff; its a bit different cabling (standard fare of alarm cabling).  Relating to automation stuff I have / did use much for RS-232 serial automation stuff. Still never enough of knowing how much multimedia transport was going to change in 10 years; doing the best that I could do with the then current means of transport (wires).  WIred for wireless but not as a primary mechanism of transport but rather an addendum to wired stuff.(IE: the remote whatever that was)

In the midwest I went outside of the single 42" SMC installed with more patch panels and eventually separated it a bit relating to audio, network et al.  For the initial wiring going into the SMC I did similiar and installed the cabling to the inside of the middle and middle top of the SMC.  Helped a friend over the last few years with LV cabling in a new home build.  A section was utilized in the basement which is under one section or entrance to the kitchen; such that the whole section was configured for LV.  Only one 42" SMC was installed.  Much of the cable remains unterminated; basement though is unfinished with 9 foot ceilings.  Way easier though because its a two story with basement and large attic.  BTW personal first gen implementation of use of catXX for networking near / behind MM center was just for networking; so it was one network connected cable to a mini 5 port hub.  2nd gen of redoing the room (almost gutted room) was the addition of 8 network patch paneled jacks with use of catXX for non network stuff. There was an abundance of optical audio cables which are still in place but not as utilized as a few years back.

I do not use much IR blasting in the current home and installed what I did need via runs of RG-6 cable with power and IR injection terminated to single wall plates with ingress and egress IR jacks plus power jacks.  Today still using the RG-6 for OTA and internal rebroadcast channels and IR blasting.

I also played a bit with some rapidrun cables in the current home.

Xantech IR blasting is what is mostly used; from what I have seen.

Not having completed the drywall and some time to do the LV cabling will be to your benefit.  I still have typically run more than what I needed in LV cabling plus a chase or two in case I needed more; but that was me and to date (over 10 years) only added a little bit more of LV cabling. 

I have not utilized scoops.  I did help a friend redo his LCD TV stuff.  Here there were two scoops in place; one behind the wall mounted LCD and one near the MM stuff.  We removed the LCD TV (sort of PITA) and I just ran LV and new electric between two new inwall boxes; one behind the LCD TV and one near the MM stuff.  I have seen scoops sold at the big box hardware stores around here (Home Depot, Lowes and Menards - but not at the local Ace Hardware stores).  Some scoops open and some with brush like openings blocking the air a bit(?).  The scoops have been on the audio / network / automation display shelves next to the inwall LV stuff.   Prices are all over the place; weird cuz its just plastic.

Most interesting thread here as I too was asked in the last couple of weeks to look / do one LCD TV setup in a finished great room with the installation of the MM stuff some 40 feet from the wall mounted LCD and add surround sound speakers; except these are to be mounted or configured in a vaulted ceiling configuration.  2nd one is a redo of a 15 year old MM "theater" with a ceiling mounted projector; adding automation to lighting; et all via the use of tablets while upgrading to current standards.

Yup; here used the same one (Arlington) for main stuff/room and the smaller combo HV/LV ones for smaller wall mounted LCD TVs (kitchen nook). 

I have two of the Arlington boxes mounted behind main LCDTV configured and here kept the HV electric separate but did add one double gang electrical box. 

The smaller LCD TV on wall flush mounts are using one single box for HV separated and angled with a 4-6-8 Keystone wall plate.  I was lucky as I found these priced very reasonable one day at a big box store.  (thinking purchased a few cuz they were like $10-15 each at the time) and they came with an electrical outlet and cover.  Looks like the attached picture but its a flush and insert box with nothing sticking out of it.

TVBR505K.jpg

Pete, that pictured Arlington TV box is designed for shallow residential basement walls, with only furring strips between the drywall and the concrete.

drvbysound, bringing bundles down from above, for a rack, is much easier than from the side or behind, if it's a pull-out.  False ceiling (drywall, but dropped, with an access panel) in the closet makes it easy to add more cables later, from a side wall.

Bundle comes down from ceiling, with ~3-4 feet of slack.  Bundle then fastened to top back of rack, and individual cables routed.  Rack on casters can then slide forward, out of the closet.

The Arlington Decora scoops look nicest, but not the cheapest.  Easy to retrofit a 2nd double gang scoop, in the future, right next to the first, if needed.

Which rack are you considering?  Sanus preconfigured is pretty darn cheap.  That closet is pretty shallow, at 24".  If you can turn the rack sideways, and step into the closet to access, a fixed rack will remove many of your headaches, will give you a few more U's of rack space, and save money.

Pete, that pictured Arlington TV box is designed for shallow residential basement walls, with only furring strips between the drywall and the concrete.

Yup used the deeper ones.

Here is an idea that I have thought about, but have not tried.     If you have a Leviton structured metal panel, you can buy a 2 inch extender bracket for it.   I am thinking that you could drill some holes in the bottom of the extender bracket and run a bundle of wires through the holes.    This is similar to the Arlington idea, but you could change out patch cords without fishing them through the wall.  

Neurorad said:

drvbysound, bringing bundles down from above, for a rack, is much easier than from the side or behind, if it's a pull-out.  False ceiling (drywall, but dropped, with an access panel) in the closet makes it easy to add more cables later, from a side wall.

Bundle comes down from ceiling, with ~3-4 feet of slack.  Bundle then fastened to top back of rack, and individual cables routed.  Rack on casters can then slide forward, out of the closet.

The Arlington Decora scoops look nicest, but not the cheapest.  Easy to retrofit a 2nd double gang scoop, in the future, right next to the first, if needed.

Which rack are you considering?  Sanus preconfigured is pretty darn cheap.  That closet is pretty shallow, at 24".  If you can turn the rack sideways, and step into the closet to access, a fixed rack will remove many of your headaches, will give you a few more U's of rack space, and save money.

I have no idea what type of rack he's considering (pull out or stationary). I'll probably provide some input and options, but in the end, it's not my choice.

Personally, I'd probably go with a rolling rack (on casters) just in case it ever needed to be moved for access... but I wouldn't put it in that closet...

Assuming the rack isn't going to be moved or moved often, I'm a fan of Panduit in those cases...sized appropriately and then strap the cabling inside with screw mount wraps...that is if cable tray mounted flat on the wall and lacing isn't possible.

We met on Tuesday to iron out a LOT of details. I had to get a lot more information on exactly what it was that he was wanting, and the associated capabilities. That flushed out a lot of the hardware and cabling decisions. Having said that, there will be much less structured wiring required that I was initially expecting. This also equates to less cabling between the wall and any external equipment (e.g. rack). Having said that, all AV, CATV, phone, and networking gear will go in the closet previously specified.

He did ask me to look into various racks, and I did briefly while we met, but the closet is literally only 26" deep (according to the plans). I haven't looked much, but I didn't see any 4-post racks from Middle Atlantic that were less than that. Having said that, I'm going to keep looking, but he did make the comment that he may have me or other just custom build a wooden rack/shelving for the components. Overall, I'm not that worried about it right now, as there aren't any actual rack mounted components anyway; just AVRs, STBs, PS3, Xbox, PC, etc.

I've just started ordering rough-in materials, and will continue to do so tomorrow. I'll try to keep the tread updated with the progress.

I don't think the depth will be an issue; in Networking racks are much deeper to accommodate servers - but in AV they come in shallower depths.

Alternatively a 2-post rack can be used with the right shelves - you can get center-mount shelves to stack equipment on.

custom build a wooden rack/shelving for the components.

Over the years have used a custom woodcrafter (gurus) to "blend" stuff which has worked well esthetically; then again too have just put in a rack of "stuff" in the utility room which was open and provided easy access to the four sides of a movable rack or a two or three set of stationary two post racks in a dedicated "room" / "closet".  26" isn't a whole bunch of space for a two post stationary rack where as it could work for a sliding style equipment rack; sliding out and moving it 90 degrees for service; then again you may install and never move anything. 

I used raceway in my wiring room and put velcro straps in that.  Runs completely around the room and the enclosures top run up against it.  All the cable is neatly hidden and easy to get to.

Back