Ring doorbell 1 or 2

Here in the Midwest (near Chicago) the assumption is that everyone is tethered to their cell phones (and sleeping with their cell phones). 

Initially it was a volunteer thing.  Then the messages became overwhelming (personally shut off the cell phone when home) and I tried to opt out and could not.

Ask yourself, could you go back to a life without cell phones and TV remote controls? I can't imagine having to get up off my tired old azz to adjust the volume.  I might just stop watching the tube altogether. My wife is so addicted to the phone that she worries when I leave the thing at home and she can't track my movements. It's embarasing.

I think of it more as an addiction than greed.

Mike.

could you go back to a life without cell phones and TV remote controls?

Yes.  ;)

I leave the cell phone today in the automobile in the off mode.  Tried for a bit running my television without a remote control...it was all about learning how to use the buttons on the TV set.

My wife is just starting (2019) to learn how to text on her smart phone.  Originally she wanted a flip phone and I got her one (difficult to find at the time).

My televison only has one knob/semi-joystick on the rear, hidden to the user. There are no buttons or switches on the front. Many tech pieces of equipment are going this way. Why provide all the switches and controls on the front in hardware, when it all duplicates the remote control box and jacks up the  price?

Think of the wrist strain we could get by cranking the tuner around now. And think of the hundreds of mechanical switch contacts needed for a 1000 channel tuner. 

Any special sales on contact cleaner by the gallon on amazon?

Configured neighbors Ring yesterday.  Easey Peasey.  Difficult piece will be to mount it on the brick adjacent to the door.  My doorbell is still in the box.

Also purchased an Echo Show (first one to tinker with).

Both Doorbel / smart camera should connect to the echo show.  The issues I have is the dependency on the cloud for all three devices.

It is the same as with any smart phone utilized today. 

Programmed the "smart camera" which is similiar to the doorbell only larger.  I like my Optex combo (much larger) better and that my tabletop touchscreens see the cameras just fine. 

There is no work involved in this "easy button" automation; no thoughts beyond what is seen on the app.  Sad.

Playing with the Alexa show today noticed that it will connect to the ring doorbell and the smart cam so decided to install the doorbell and smart cam to tinker some more with the Alexa show. 

Tested the Echo Show connectivity to the Ring Doorbel.  Very nice.

One battery would only charge to 50%.  Doing an exchange for that one.  Great customer service.

Echo show sound is very good for such a tiny device.

Just a quickie summary here...

Keeping and installing the Ring Doorbells.  Returning the smart IP camera because it is slow to update and slow to appear on the Amazon Alexa Show.

The neighbor wants a bit more security than what the Ring offers so have suggested getting the Ring security stuff / plan for security.

The 5 device package was on sale for $100 and see them on Ebay for less than $150.  Will probably set this up for them in the near future.

No contracts and a reasonably priced monthly charge (with no automation).  ~ $14 / month for just security or ~ $24 / month with automation.

Personally here prefer my wired security primarily and do use wireless HAI OmniPro last choice trinkets (have both HAI wireless receivers here).

30th of July, 2019 update

Sending back the smart cam I purchased which is a Smartlife Model bullet 2S.  It was too slow to come up on the Amazon show.
Son purchased Wyze cams for his Amazon Show.  Just for indoors.  He said it is OK but not really that quick on the Amazon show.

The morning found a 4MP IP HD camera board with a 2.1mm lens on it.  Going to replace the Optex combo camera board with this one and give it a spin.

What is nice about the Optex combo is that it looks like an oversized PIR and has analog connectivity to the alarm panel.

This one will connect to the OmniPro 2 and PVR and will tinker a bit with the smart pieces of it.

Found something interesting that I am going to give a try to see how it works with the Amazon Show.

hxxps://monoclecam.com/

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1209]

1st of August, 2019

OK so I have installed two of them.  They are too big for my tastes so probably will update them to Ring Pro's.

Both are mounted where the old doorbell on the brick adjacent to the wood cuz there was not enough space on the wood and it would have been over the glass panel.  That said ideally moving it to the brick would have me rewiring the doorbell wires through the brick which is a PITA.

The Amazon Alexa show works well and fast with these. I am impressed.

Will post pictures.

1st of August, 2019 - Update

Found that Hikvision makes a doorbell camera that works as a regular IP camera, has local storage or cloud storage and is accessible by Zoneminder (or maybe Blue Iris).

There are OEM and HikVision versions of this doorbell available on Amazon and Ebay. Also works via the doorbell wires and comes with angle brackets and different face plates.

Might give one a try.

I also found another Alexa app for IP HD Video doorbells that would work with the Alexa Show..

4th of August, 2019

Amazon Opens a New Window. -owned security company Ring Opens a New Window. plans to work with local police departments to grant it direct access to real-time emergency dispatch.

According to Gizmodo, Ring has issued contracts to 225 police departments in the U.S. in order to gain access to their computer-aided dispatch (CAD) feeds, which emergency responders use to automate responses, to expedite assistance. Ring has requested permission to tap into this data to update posts for the “neighborhood watch” app, Neighbors.

The app allows police to see camera footage into your home, once you have approved its access, and gives remote access to video clips from other Ring doorbells with crime alerts in the area. If the app’s News Team notices suspicious activity including fires or theft, they notify subscribers. They also cite a lengthy list of other crimes that would prompt Ring’s intervention including “Animal Investigation,” “Civil Matter,” “Bomb Threat,” “Vandalism” and “Welfare Check.”

14th of August, 2019

Going to move this to it's own topic .

Testing new 4MP IP HD camera smart board for use with:

1 - Amazon Show
2 - CCTV NVR
3 - ONVIF compatible and H264(5) with sound
4 - Android and iPhone use
5 - Windows use
6 - HikVision and Dahua compatible
7 - It has both H264(5) and MJPG video output and JPG stills.

This is totally different than my last testing with Grandstream camera boards. 

I was going to replace the current Ring doorbell with an OEM or HikVision doorbell.  I have tried one smart IP camera and it did work with the Alexa Show but was very slow compared to the Ring Doorbell.

It is now a "smart" home automation camera but depends on the cloud for these features.

It is a single board 38mm square.  Very impressive little mini computer. 

Also testing the Alexa Show Monoclecam plugin. The plugin does create a cloud connection for use with the Alexa Show.

4th of August, 2019 update #2

Installed the Monocle Amazon skill and Monocle service on the automation server.

This is an overview on how this skill works.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1218]

1 - create an account at hxxps://portal.monoclecam.com/

2 - configure your camera.  Use your VLC H264 link for configuration.  Give it any name you want.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1219]

3 - read this:  hxxps://monoclecam.com/start

4 - install hxxps://monoclecam.com/monocle-gateway

5 - I had to make an adjustment to PFSense relating to DNS.

6 - now I can ask Alexa to show test or test 2 cams.

Works great.

Update: 24th of August, 2019  

Tried a Homeseer 3 plugin for Ring Doorbell called BLRing.

Works great.  

You can review your videos with this plugin. 

Works in Linux and Windows.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1226]

Back