Router help

I'm guessing that the camera automatically turned off the wired NIC when I enabled the wifi NIC. What surprises me is that the router moved the static IP assigned to the wired NIC over to the wireless NIC.

Is this normal ?

Yes.  The router's just mostly a bean counter with a little side of a massage of the transport.

Network is a network.  There is a different mac address for the LAN ethernet device and the WLAN ethernet device.

The router only knows of the mac and IP of device which it doles out the address via DHCP or DHCP reservation.

But I have the wireless NIC in the cam set to DHCP. How is it that the router did not assign it a DHCP address? It instead gave it the static address of the wired NIC in the camera.

But I have the wireless NIC in the cam set to DHCP. How is it that the router did not assign it a DHCP address? It instead gave it the static address of the wired NIC in the camera.

I am not familiar with the OS of the camera.   The OS is embedded Linux most likely.  You can see exactly what it is doing by turning on logging for a bit changing your stuff on the camera and watch the logs or look afterwards. 

Maybe the OS of the camera shut off the DHCP service on the Wireless interface when you configured a static address on the wired ethernet port.

The service of DHCP on the Camera Linux OS might be set to only one or the other or both of the network interfaces.

Here with my firewall I enable DHCP on the LAN side and configure what subnet I want it to use.  DHCP is a BSD service and always is running but not always running on each of the LAN interfaces per my configurations.

On the WAN side I configure a DHCP client or static IP depending on what modem interface I want to use (I utilize two here). 

I have configured my laptop here to use a DHCP address (reservation) for wireless or wired  DHCP (reservation).  If wireless is on and connected and ethernet cable is in place then both network interfaces will be connecting to the main network.  Also have done wireless DHCP reservation and wired ethernet static IP or vice versa.  In all of the cases of using DHCP the laptop shows up in the DHCP status with it's appropriate MAC address or both MAC addresses.  Not really sure how Linux deals with the two interfaces but I can see them in status and both have a configured gateway address and I can surf the web anyhow.

mikefamig said:

Is the camera using different MAC addresses for both the wired and wireless interfaces?  If it is using a single MAC address for both, that could explain things.

RAL said:
Is the camera using different MAC addresses for both the wired and wireless interfaces?  If it is using a single MAC address for both, that could explain things.
No the camera definitely had two different MAC addresses, one wired and one wireless. That is how I am distinguishing between the two on the router device list.

I am just about done playing with this camera. I just turned wifi off in the camera. The router properly shows that the camera is wired static at the proper address. Blue Iris say  "no signal" I restarted BI and it can not see the camera. I feel like I am back in Windows 3.0 era.

This particular Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS camera is flaky as hell.

Mike.

Mike, does the static wired IP address of the camera match what BI has for the camera configuration?

Can you direct access the camera via web browser with the IP address BI thinks it is?

batwater said:
Mike, does the static wired IP address of the camera match what BI has for the camera configuration?

Can you direct access the camera via web browser with the IP address BI thinks it is?
Thanks but I got it working. Because I could see the cam in the router and not in Blue Iris I figured the problem was between the router and BI. I couldn't get it to work by checking the BI setup so on a whim I deleted the camera from BI  and reinstalled it and it worked.

Mike.

Back