Router help

You don't assign static IPs on the router.  You can assign a static DHCP reservation there.  Or maybe a DNS name if your router is  your DNS server (host or dnsmasq entry)

So my guess is the screen you are putting it on in the router  is for static DHCP reservations in which case it would need to fall within the DHCP  range to accept it and it is just showing pending because  it is out of that range.

If you truly just want a static IP,  it just needs to be an IP in the right subnet put on the camera itself.   If you reboot the camera after that and it is still responding on the dynamic DHCP address then DHCP  is not turned  off  there or is a bug in the camera, not an issue on your router.

Seeing that in the OP you configured a static IP on your camera (IP, subnet, gateway and DNS) and that shuts off getting a DHCP address from your router typically unless as mentioned above there is an issue with your camera's OS.

That said too the router still had the mac address and configured IP address from DHCP when it gave the IP to your camea.  Typically there is a release and restart of DHCP button on the router which would have fixed your view.  It doesn't release the mac address automatically though when you changed your camera to a static IP.  Here my router will show two IP addresses when I use DHCP reservation until I restart DHCP on the router.  It will show the DHCP address and the DHCP reservation address.

None the less it is easier to just leave the camera at DHCP and statically assign an IP on your router via DHCP reservation as mentioned above.

A bit old fashioned here with my network most of the wired network devices are using static IPs.  Appliances and some wireless devices (phones and tablets) use DHCP reservation.  Laptops do static IP when wired and DHCP reservation when wireless.

All of my wired CCTV cameras utilize static IP addresses.   Way back did do modes on the early IP camera boards firmware; very much of a PITA to do but they are little computers these days.

I go overboard a bit with my tabletop tablets where I wrote custom MAC addresses to the network rom chips such that I can tell which tabletop it is by mac address or name and this relates to managing them from the mothership.  I do the same now with the tinker toy micro OpenWRT wireless routers.  More difficult nowadays with new rules in place for wireless AP's.

You don't have to use the Frontier vendor provided router to service your network, it can be the front end dumbed down to the basics and put your own router in to manage your network.  You are spot on in worrying about what Frontier might do to you with an upgrade.  Control your destiny, don't be at the will of a 3rd party for your network configuration...

batwater said:
You don't have to use the Frontier vendor provided router to service your network, it can be the front end dumbed down to the basics and put your own router in to manage your network.  You are spot on in worrying about what Frontier might do to you with an upgrade.  Control your destiny, don't be at the will of a 3rd party for your network configuration...

That's what I did. The Actiontec DSL router supplied by Centurylink is a POS. I plugged a Linksys Velop mesh router into it and never looked back. 99% of the time when the "internet goes down" a reboot of the Actiontec router fixes it.

wuench said:
You don't assign static IPs on the router.  You can assign a static DHCP reservation there.  Or maybe a DNS name if your router is  your DNS server (host or dnsmasq entry)
Correct, I was assigning the static IP on the camera, not the router. After having trouble with the static IP I resorted to setting the camera to use DHCP and then reserved the router assigned IP address for the cam's MAC and it IS within the DHCP range.

wuench said:
So my guess is the screen you are putting it on in the router  is for static DHCP reservations in which case it would need to fall within the DHCP  range to accept it and it is just showing pending because  it is out of that range.
No, it is when I set the camera to use a static address outside of the DHCP range that I got the pending status on the router for the camera's MAC.

wuench said:
If you truly just want a static IP,  it just needs to be an IP in the right subnet put on the camera itself.   If you reboot the camera after that and it is still responding on the dynamic DHCP address then DHCP  is not turned  off  there or is a bug in the camera, not an issue on your router.
This may be true. When I set the camera to use a static address outside of the DHCP range I am able to access the camera at both the static IP address and the DHCP assigned address. Both static and DHCP addresses are accessible at the same time. A bug in the camera would explain the problem.

Maybe I should do a firmware upgrade to the camera. I have looked at Hikvision web site and they have a newer firmware version for the DS-2CD2142FWD-IS while my camera is a DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS. The added W in my cam's part number stands for wireless and I'm hesitant to use the firmware because the part numbers are not exactly the same.

Mike

batwater said:
Yes I may have to learn to bridge this Frontier router through to one of my own but i don't want to spend the time to do that right now. I have an outside project or two going on now that keep me busy.

kwschumm said:
Having a reserved DHCP address, where the camera MAC address is always equated to the same IP address, is nearly the same as static. If you put it there and set the camera to DHCP it should always be assigned the same address. Wouldn't that work?
This is my solution.  I'm just learning my way around a router and this is new to me. I thought that a static IP was the only way to reserve an address.

Thanks!

mikefamig said:
No, it is when I set the camera to use a static address outside of the DHCP range that I got the pending status on the router for the camera's MAC.

There shouldn't be any reference on the router for the camera IP/MAC so I am not sure what  you are seeing here.   But if it's something you didn't configure, I would ignore it.   Maybe it's just leftover from the DHCP config or the camera still trying DHCP.

Worst case with this whole situation is you just waste an IP in your DHCP scope if you can't fix it. You'll just have two IP's assigned,  just use and reference the static one in everything you do and ignore the other,  except in firewall stuff where you block it.

Given your concerns about security in the other thread, I would agree with the others and maybe consider another router to put in front.   I   am using DDWRT on my APs/routers and use FWBuilder to manage the firewall rules.  Mostly because even DDWRT can't do all I need security-wise via the GUI and I can't seem to learn iptables :)   It's a  pretty complicated solution though and I have my regrets.   There are probably simpler solutions that meet your requirements. OpenWRT is another good option.   

If you have used the same technique of assigning static IPs on other devices, and they worked, and the camera is the only one that failed, it is likely the camera is at fault.

I'd vote to leave it as-is, with a reserved IP address using DHCP.

If it's a camera problem you can't fix it short of an update, and I wouldn't install an update that is not specifically for your wireless camera.

The perfect is the enemy of the good.

I'm not sure if what you are seeing with the camera responding to the static address as well as the DHCP assigned address is really a camera bug.

On a local subnet (e.g. 192.168.254.x), packets are transmitted using MAC addresses, not IP addresses. 

When the router first receives a packet for an IP address on its subnet that it doesn't recognize, it sends out an ARP request, asking who owns the IP address that the packet is destined for.  The device that owns the address responds with it's MAC address. The router makes an association between the IP address and the MAC address, and stores that information in its ARP cache.  After that, any time it receives a packet for that IP address, it just sends it out to the corresponding MAC address.

When you change the address of the camera from static to DHCP, it's possible that the router ends up with a stale entry in the ARP cache for the old address, and it then has both IP addresses there, mapping them to the same MAC address. 

Came here to say the same thing as RAL - stale entry.  If you set a static IP on the camera and it's not connecting to the public internet, it's entirely possible the router will never know it's there because it has no reason to talk to it - allowing it to never update to the new IP address.  You can have devices on your LAN that the router doesn't know exist.

OK but why the "pending" status and blank IP address in the device list when I set the camera to static? It reports "active" and a valid IP address when I set the camera to DHCP.

Mike.

Because it's sticking (referred to it as sticky before) to the list (arp cache = sticky as referred to above). 

Do a refresh and re set of the DHCP loans and maybe reboot the router and you should not see it anymore.

Turn on router logging and you should see this happening in vivo.

It reports "active" and a valid IP address when I set the camera to DHCP.

Because the router gives the camera an IP address via DHCP.  The camera in DHCP mode does a request for an IP.  When the camera is configured for a static IP the router doesn't care.  It is the camera that needs to be configured with the router stuff like the IP, subnet mask, DNS and Gateway IP.  When the the camera gets its IP via DHCP it automagically gets the IP, subnet mask, DNS and Gateway address. 

From the Wiki...note this happens too on the WAN (internet side).  Your ISP provides a DHCP address to the WAN side of the router (or you provide a static IP if you are paying for one).

The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a network management protocol used on TCP/IP networks whereby a DHCP server dynamically assigns an IP address and other network configuration parameters to each device on a network so they can communicate with other IP networks.[1] A DHCP server enables computers to request IP addresses and networking parameters automatically from the Internet service provider (ISP), reducing the need for a network administrator or a user to manually assign IP addresses to all network devices. In the absence of a DHCP server, a computer or other device on the network needs to be manually assigned an IP address, or to assign itself an APIPA address, which will not enable it from communicating outside its local subnet.

This is just a guess, but I suspect that with DHCP, the router knows the IP address of the camera right away, because it assigned it when the camera sent out its DHCP request for an address.

But with a static address, the router doesn't become aware of the camera's IP address until the router receives some traffic destined for that address, and sends out an ARP request.  So, until it does, it shows "pending."

RAL said:
This is just a guess, but I suspect that with DHCP, the router knows the IP address of the camera right away, because it assigned it when the camera sent out its DHCP request for an address.

But with a static address, the router doesn't become aware of the camera's IP address until the router receives some traffic destined for that address, and sends out an ARP request.  So, until it does, it shows "pending."
I'm curious now, I'll have to experiment with setting a static IP and using the device for a while.

Back